Line6 TonePort

gumplunger

I know Line6 is really a love it or hate it company, with the majority of recording afficianatos on the latter side, however this looks kinda interesting. At first glance, this new Line6 TonePort thing just looked like a revamped Guitar Port, to me at least. Looking around the site though, I noticed that it had mic line ins and preamp emulation. This seems like a new area for Line6, so who knows how it will sound.

The interesting part is that the emulations are for an API 512c with a 550b EQ, a Neve 1073, an Avalon Vt737, a generic clean solid solid state console pre (seems like this one is going to have pretty limited usage, aside from keyboards and stuff like that), a "vintage" setup consisting of a Requisite Y7 Mic Pre, API - 550b EQ, and a Studer 2-inch tape emulation; and finally, a "lo-fi" setting.

Obviously Line6 isn't going to be able to match the sounds of those preamps - not even Line6 is claiming that much - but who knows, could it end up being a pretty versatile, budget preamp strip for us home recording nuts?

Here's the website: http://line6.com/toneport/index.html

boomtap said:
I bought this, and returned it a week later...BECAUSE I LOVED IT and wanted to upgrade to the XT Live.

Take it for what it is, a headphone practice amp. If you do that, at least in my opinion it is one of the best devices of it's type. I have used it to make some great demo recordings of song ideas, and overall was super pleased with it's tone. Is it just like the real thing? Probably not, although I have made some great little sample recordings that sound fantastic. It really is as funtional as a POD if you have the computer set up for it.
Actually it's not out yet, so you're probably talking about the GuitarPort.

gumplunger said:
Actually it's not out yet, so you're probably talking about the GuitarPort.

DOH! you are right. I am a nerd. I looked at this thing the other day. Might be cool. I don't think I need one though. Basically a decent sound card I am guessing.

I just got the email from line6 today about it. I've been impressed with line6's stuff for what it is, so hopefully this will be pretty cool

You know if this keeps we will need a "backpackrecording.com/bbs" web site, for all of the studios that will be laptops and sound cards. Some recordings, no mortgage.

Back