LDC for Overheads

wishtheend

I posted this in the drum section and really didn't get much insight. I have a pair of MXL LDC that I plan on using on a kit for overheads. I've read about x/y and similar ways of using sdc I think this would give me a good image of the kit. My question is, how does one set up LDC's in x/y? The way the body of LDC are, I just have to check to see if there are any tips or methods.

Also, if anyone has any pics of a pair of Ldcs being used, please post them. The more examples, the better. Thanks in advance :D

Well, I'm going to be doing close mics on the snare and toms, so I'm more concerned with just getting a nice wide stereo image. Would setting them up so the body is straight up and down, but the mics put back to back (the mic on the left is facing left, mic on the right facing right). Kinda like a "V" the point where the two lines meet being the actual point where sound is picked up from?

wishtheend said:
Well, I'm going to be doing close mics on the snare and toms, so I'm more concerned with just getting a nice wide stereo image.

If you want a wide stereo image you might want to look into doing a "spaced pair." Just measure the distance from the mic heads to the center of the snare,(making sure they are the same distance away) this way your snare will be in the center of the mix.

wishtheend said:
Would setting them up so the body is straight up and down, but the mics put back to back (the mic on the left is facing left, mic on the right facing right). Kinda like a "V" the point where the two lines meet being the actual point where sound is picked up from?

X/Y set-up is designed to reduce phase problems. So you want the capsules as close together as possible. I wouldn't recomend setting them up in a "V" tip to tip would be better.

Back