Layering rock guitars 101

[EDITED TO ADD:] I should mention, my goal for this recording isn't to sell on iTunes or anything (hah). It's just to have something that I can show my friends that they'll be impressed with. I'm thinking if it goes really well I might even make a music video too and put it on Youtube, and then just bask in the glory of how cool the whole accomplishment makes me feel.

That pretty much sums up most everyone's endeavors here. However, there are some with hallucinations of greatness running amok who think they are the next big thing to hit the internet.

Layering is IMO very overrated and overblown. And I have a feeling it's gonna get really ugly with layering fake guitar tracks. Focus on getting two great rhythm tracks and panning them wide. That's two separate tracks. Not the same one copied and pasted. Two unique tracks, pan them wide. If you track a good sound, you won't need a bunch of layers mucking things up. Any little extra stuff can be added in the middle or a little off center.

Layering is IMO very overrated and overblown. And I have a feeling it's gonna get really ugly with layering fake guitar tracks. Focus on getting two great rhythm tracks and panning them wide. That's two separate tracks. Not the same one copied and pasted. Two unique tracks, pan them wide. If you track a good sound, you won't need a bunch of layers mucking things up. Any little extra stuff can be added in the middle or a little off center.

I would totally agree to this and add a couple things from my experiences.

Layering of amp sims tend to build up the already existing 'fizzy' tone the distorted/high gain sims have-especially with the cheap or free versions. Layering just makes it worse. If you do wish to try layering multiple tracks, you damn well better play accurate as hell, or it will wash out and become undefined quickly.

That being said, if you do plan to layer sims, use way less gain than you intend to have in the end sound.

If you are using DAW based amp sims, then you will want a direct signal straight from the guitar itself. Using a pedal or and guitar sim before input to DAW, then adding another amp will likely fail horribly. What you really need to do first off, is purchase an interface. You need to get out from under the restrictions of that USB adapter. They sound like ass.

Secondly, you will be even better off with an actual amp, mic, and proper interface. Even the mic'd sound of a solid state Crate practice amp sounds better to me than an amp sim. Just my opinion tho. Best is a hard driven tube amp breaking into the sweet spot where the speakers themselves start adding the desired tone. This is where magic happens. :)

There are some few exceptions where I will actually duplicate a track, pan maybe 20% and delay one. This is NEVER a good idea for the solid rhythm track EVER. Only for accent tracks or some strange effect.

There are times when I will double a guitar track (actually recorded) and pan to each side to get a thicker tone, but the double is usually 10dB or less in volume than the main one.

Yup, the way to get around the fizzy tone of amp sims is to back off the gain and add a comp/sustainer in front of it. That will keep your playing in the crunch zone which is really small on most sims. But, again, actually layering parts on top of parts is a recipe for mush.

Have you looked into recording at 1 watt? It is highly detailed. You are not blasting the microphone to bits. Plenty of tube break up is available for 90's grunt.

I line up the microphone to the amplifier and listen through the PA mixer to find the best sounding angle. Then out the PA to the interface.

Have you looked into recording at 1 watt? It is highly detailed. You are not blasting the microphone to bits. Plenty of tube break up is available for 90's grunt.

I line up the microphone to the amplifier and listen through the PA mixer to find the best sounding angle. Then out the PA to the interface.

Have you tried reading the thread? No? Didn't think so.

Again, you continue to give off topic advice. Not to mention the 'WTF' factor of what you just said.

Added to my journal of how I do not like you. Not that it matters. I don't write in a journal...

My response is directly related to his issues. Please.

I suggested recording at lower watt levels , when he had issue with volume.

He wanted to find out how to place the microphone . I suggested using a powered mixer to aid in finding the best placement.

I have nothing to add to other contributors comments.

He wanted to find out how to place the microphone . I suggested using a powered mixer to aid in finding the best placement.

You have nothing to add, period. He's not using an amp. He doesn't have an amp to "record at lower watt levels". On top of that, not many amps go down to one watt. There's no microphone to place. Read the fucking thread. Please.

It's a good thing your trolling schtick is to make irrelevant posts because they're all full of bad information anyway.

Um, no... Absolutely not what his issue was, nor what was stated in this thread. You are one awesome bot though.

Goodbye. :)

It was a great run for mark (if that is his real name). Comes a point when a members neg rep is -7724609 that it might be time to go to sleep. Maybe a week off will chill the savage bot?

Or at least learn to read before posting...

It was a great run for mark (if that is his real name). Comes a point when a members neg rep is -7724609 that it might be time to go to sleep. Maybe a week off will chill the savage bot?

Or at least learn to read before posting...

It's one thing to think outside the box and be quirky if the info is valuable and pertinent, but he was just friggin stupid.

I like that idea. My only worry is not finding a sound I like among the VSTs, I'd probably just use what Adobe includes in Audition. Do you happen to have an opinion on Adobe's included guitar amp VSTs?

I've been recording solely with sims and I like to emulate the traditional method. I get the sound I'm looking for with the sim and record it as is. Then to get the track to fit in the song, I'll make adjustments in software; EQ, compression or whatever.

From there I'm going into a Zoom G1XN multi-FX pedal, then straight into a Yamaha MR1642 preamp mixer, then using an XLR-to-USB cable into my fairly new Macbook Pro, which is running Adobe Audition.

Most good sim packages like Guitar Rig or Revalver or Amplitube have demo versions you can check out.

Not sure if you're just sticking to what you have above, but I'll add to Greg's list and suggest you also check out RockRack Pro from brainworx/plugin alliance: https://plugin-alliance.com/en/plugins/detail/bx_rockrack.html

I mainly an amp guy, but this past holiday season I was buying a bunch of the brainworx plugs since they had some great sales....and so on a whim I picked up their RockRack Pro plug-in just to have...I think it was only like $99 at the time.

Check out the videos for it...it seems to me that brainworx really leaned it toward the harder/Metal tone flavors with what they put into it (another reason I got it, 'cuz my amps are not really geared for those super high-gain tones).
I only did some quick previews of the tones after I got it, but I think it has some pretty decent stuff that may be the kind of tones you are after without having to do any layering approach.

You can grab a full version demo of it for 14 days, you go to "My Plugins" and just create an account with them (no charge), then get/create a demo version of any of their stuff you want to try out.
Their full price if a bit high right now for RockRack Pro....but keep an eye out on the Plugin Alliance site, they are always tossing up some of their plugs on sale (got a lot of their stuff for less than half-price).
Brainworx gets high marks from most of the reviews/comments I've seen.

Oh...and they have several FREE plugs once you create an account....just look at the bottom of the Plugins page.
https://plugin-alliance.com/en/plugins.html

If I take a powered amp, dial it down to 1 watt, properly align SM-57 mic with my butt-hole, drink a case of cheap beer and eat a sausage and pepper pizza, let a loud, wet,smelly fart, will it give me that "brown sound" that EVH made famous? Could I later layer it? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Back