Layering exact same sound to add volume?

scopus

hey i noticed kick in one my old songs is not loud enough and its already been mixed into stems in a way that be very hard to be able to adjust just the kick. Would it be ok to layer the exact same kick sound on top of the track to higher its volume ? or would that introduce some kind of phase issue/degrade the sound in some way?

If you make no other changes, it will just be louder.

It could introduce phase issues if you don't line it up exactly tho.

It may be easier to just make everything else quieter instead tho.

Why don't you try it, scopus ?
You'll get differing opinions, but nothing would beat how you feel about the result.
There are plenty of arguments that I just don't get involved in, because even though the consensus is X, I may have gone against the consensus, tried the thing that I'm told can't work, and found that sometimes.....it can.

Maybe a parametric EQ - zero in on the kick's Q frequency and bump it up some. May not work, just something to play around with.

If the stem only contains the unchanged sound and it is well aligned, it should only change the volume. If the stem got some EQ or compression or whatever effects on it, it might change the sound.
Just go for it and try it. The funny thing about music is, that there is no wrong or right. ;)

hey i noticed kick in one my old songs is not loud enough and its already been mixed into stems in a way that be very hard to be able to adjust just the kick. Would it be ok to layer the exact same kick sound on top of the track to higher its volume ? or would that introduce some kind of phase issue/degrade the sound in some way?
This would be my first choice as well. You have nothing to lose, right? If it doesn't sound right go to plan B. My plan B be would be using EQ.

Depending on your DAW you can use sends to increase the volume of a track. Send to an aux or two. Make the output send volume ~0 db then just add volume by raising the aux volume(s) to taste.

Back