latest metal mix...

Sounds like the "vocalist" could use a throat lozenge. Sorry, when it comes to this genre, that's all the help I can offer.

The music is cool but I did notice the guitars and vocals are way to up front. I'd push them back some and take another listen.

Yeah, I agree the vocals are too close.
I'd also move the ride cymbal a little closer to the center. I know some people like wide-panned cymbals, but that specific cymbal is a little too prominent in this song for that technique, IMO.

Otherwise, this song made my eyes bleed a little. That's the goal, right?

Pretty good for this style. Just sink the voice a little better and it sounds great. Song is what death metal is all about.

Joey :):)

Here's my two cents. Hope it helps.

Weird panning:
Ride cymbal is panned to the left, normally it's panned to the right. Be careful with the volume, in some parts I think it's pretty loud (00:08 - 00:40) for the mix.

Guitars:
Need more separation, don't know how you panned but it seems they're too close one to the other. I could EQ the highs of the guitar a little bit. This next advice its for the band: they should work their arrangements because two guitars playing exactly the same sound too monotonous.

Bass:
Lacks definition but it's enough to give some "weight" to the mix. Modern death metal bands tend to overdo the bass and it end sounding like a bassy guitar, don't do that.

Vocals:
Perfect for the genre, i really like the tone and viciousness.

Good luck!

Here's my two cents. Hope it helps.

Weird panning:
Ride cymbal is panned to the left, normally it's panned to the right. Be careful with the volume, in some parts I think it's pretty loud (00:08 - 00:40) for the mix.

Guitars:
Need more separation, don't know how you panned but it seems they're too close one to the other. I could EQ the highs of the guitar a little bit. This next advice its for the band: they should work their arrangements because two guitars playing exactly the same sound too monotonous.

Bass:
Lacks definition but it's enough to give some "weight" to the mix. Modern death metal bands tend to overdo the bass and it end sounding like a bassy guitar, don't do that.

Vocals:
Perfect for the genre, i really like the tone and viciousness.

Good luck!

:confused: :confused:

the ride is panned something like 65% to the right, and was to the far right of the kit in the OH's, outside of the floor tom

guitars were tracked through DI's, and the tracks are hard-panned 100% L/R

and i do agree that the vocals are pretty loud in the mix, but i made a conscious decision to really put them up front for this project

:confused: :confused:

the ride is panned something like 65% to the right, and was to the far right of the kit in the OH's, outside of the floor tom

guitars were tracked through DI's, and the tracks are hard-panned 100% L/R

and i do agree that the vocals are pretty loud in the mix, but i made a conscious decision to really put them up front for this project

Fuck, sorry man, I put the wrong thing. The ride cymbal must be panned to the left (your left), not the right. What i wanted to say is that it was panned to the left of the drummer, which is weird beacuse most kits have the ride to the right (Of the drummer) Does it makes sense?

--------------------------------------------------------CENTER
----------------------------------------------------------Kick
L<-------------ride - low tom - med tom - hi tom - snare - hiha-------->R

i agree w/ everyone else on tucking the vox just a touch, but i'm really just nitpicking.

i think this sounds fantastic. tracking/mixing metal this heavy is very tough to do well, and i think you've done a stellar job. i dig the song too.

Fuck, sorry man, I put the wrong thing. The ride cymbal must be panned to the left (your left), not the right. What i wanted to say is that it was panned to the left of the drummer, which is weird beacuse most kits have the ride to the right (Of the drummer) Does it makes sense?

--------------------------------------------------------CENTER
----------------------------------------------------------Kick
L<-------------ride - low tom - med tom - hi tom - snare - hiha-------->R

gotcha...i always mix drums from the drummer's perspective with metal. makes for proper air drumming.

Back