Laptop Audio Out to Mixer

dasuol

I have an Akai APK Mini MK2 midi controller connected to my Windows laptop. I was able to get it all running smoothly and sounding good for recording directly into my DAW. However, I would also like to be able to output the sound to a mixer (Behringer Xenyx Q802 USB)/speakers so that I can practice/jam with multiple instruments.

I have tried connecting the laptop to the mixer with a 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch audio cable connected to the headphone jack of the laptop and one of the 1/4 inch inputs on the mixer, but there is a bunch of noise and static and the sound output is very quiet. However, when I connect headphones directly to the headphone jack, the sound is clear and loud.

Any ideas of why this may be happening? Would there be a better way to connect the laptop audio to the mixer. Thanks for any ideas/suggestions you may have.

Thank you for the quick response. I forgot to mention that I had tried that cable type as well (it was late last night when I tried it, so I forgot that I had). Anyway, I had a pretty similar result going that route. It was still quite noisy. However, when I was able to plug the cable into my phone and play some music into the mixer without all the noise. So, I'm not sure what the problem is.

I have also looked at something like this:

Amazon.com: Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and play No drivers Needed. (AU-MMSA): Computers & Accessories

I read that sometimes the audio jacks in laptops can be really noisy because they're in really close proximity to all the other electrical components in the laptop and that this can help by bringing the D/A conversion outside of the laptop. I just don't understand why there would be such a dramatic difference between listening on headphones and running the same output into a mixer/speakers.

I figured it out. I don't know why I didn't even think to just send the audio out to the mixer directly over the mixer's usb connection. Duh! Dumb mistake. Thanks all for your suggestions and help. Sorry for the waste of time thread.

If the noise was a hum, you probably had a ground loop problem. There are stereo direct boxes for that, but you seem to have solved the problem in the most elegant way.

I figured it out. I don't know why I didn't even think to just send the audio out to the mixer directly over the mixer's usb connection.

Well I should have thought of that. But it's good to have other options so check out the links I posted.

I figured it out. I don't know why I didn't even think to just send the audio out to the mixer directly over the mixer's usb connection. Duh! Dumb mistake. Thanks all for your suggestions and help. Sorry for the waste of time thread.

Heh! You beat me too it! For others who might want an audio feed from a laptop or PC but want better quality an the OBS usually gives and want to avoid the pesky 1/8" jack?

Behriunger UCA 202 (AKA 222). Cheap, ~ $25and surprisingly good quality playback on the more rugged RCA sockts. There is also an additional controlled headphone out.

Naturally top results will only be obtained from a good AI but then you are into $100+.

Dave.

Back