Laptop advice

Milkfaj

I need a laptop in order to make my studio mobile. I have heard that some laptops are bad for recording because the soundcards are packed in close to other noisy components of the CPU. my question is what laptops have a good reputation for recording? Mac G4? a PC laptop?
I want to buy a used one and here's how I would like to budget it- $800 for the computer, $150-$200 for a multi input soundcard, $100 for a firewire drive. any suggestions would be greatly appriciated- thanks!

PS. my current setup consists of an analog 8 track recorder and a 16 channel A&H mixer and ive been mixing down to a soundblaster live card on my PC.

If you can afford the g5 go for it! As far as soundcards go I have a tascam us-122 and a HP 2.8ghP4, 512ram 60g internal HD and a 120 external hd and it works great for me as a mobile studio! I've heard the tascam has problems running on a mac though! In my opinion laptops are too loud for studio recording (cooling fan) so if your going to be doing recording at home with mics all in one room, get a laptop battery with long life, so the fan isn't running constantlly

i will probobly be tracking everything to analog and then using the computer to mix down to- is your soundcard an internal or external card?

external. I've been asking around this forum and someone just told me that external devices are not sound cards, and that an upgrade to factory sound card is needed. This is totally confusing to me. I was sure that external multi input devices replace stock cards. I will look into this further.

Back