Kick inaudible over bass in quite parts

The good news is that my guitarist (this is for my band) HATES the way drums sit up front in modern recording, and much prefers the older style where they are more in the back of the mix, so even if I'm not able to fix it in this mix, that might be alright! =D

Ah man, that sucks! :)

The good news is that my guitarist (this is for my band) HATES the way drums sit up front in modern recording

That's good news?

I partly agree, but sinking the drums back in the mix is also a way of getting a dense and impenetrable mix. Handle with care!

I didn't suggest a 3K boost on the kick drum - I recommended it for the bass guitar - that will give it some definition & allow you to cut some of the common zone it shares with the kick so taht they both have a place in the EQ span.

I didn't suggest a 3K boost on the kick drum - I recommended it for the bass guitar - that will give it some definition & allow you to cut some of the common zone it shares with the kick so taht they both have a place in the EQ span.
My parenthetical comment wasn't directed towards you. 3k is a common boost for non-metal rock kick. For bass, I favor the 800hz area for definition and I treat 3k as 'brightness'.

To the OP, there is plenty of 1k to boost, I can clearly hear it.

My suggestions:

Tight your kick using low-shelf, maybe up to 40-50 hz. Compress it to make sure the attack cut trough, compressing mostly the sustain of it. (I love multiband comp. for this task).
Try a little boost at 60hz, 120hz and 3-5k. You are always better boosting a little at many places with kick especially. Cut around 300-500 hz.
Look for the bass freq. that may mask the important freq. of the kick. Then push the fader of the kick until it sound enough present, without breaking the balance of your mix. Finally, you can automated the too softer parts played by your drummer. I think that a good balance of the many things aforementioned might get you out of troubles.

The idea is to make your kick less wide and with less weight but more punch and leave the fat (and more sustained) bottom for your bass.

Hope it helps.

Back