Keyboard help

sepiareverb

I'm in the market for a keyboard that has excellent sound quality on line outs, has piano, organ, horns, strings and woodwinds. I had a Yamaha MX61 which broke, and replaced it with a Fantom 07 but it is WAY over my head. I can't manage to make anything work with the Roland Cloud or getting tones edited etc. I need something simple, for an idiot like me.

Is there anything simple that will be reliable? The Yamaha was fine, but broke after very little calm use.

Id stick with the Fantom. Roland has a learning curve, and everybody likes secret menus from a combination of buttons.

Its Roland, load a marquee sample patch, then put a cheap compressor on the outputs.

Choose a product and stick with it. Learn it. If you liked Yammy's get another Yammy.

Last edited:
I can't get anything to load is the problem. The cloud app on the computer is just a loop of download and install, the install just starts a download. I'm heading to Yamaha now, the keys are crap, but it is simple.

I think what you want is going to limit you to quite old gear now. Downloadable content is the norm, and it is steep stuff to start from the ground and go upwards. You want the usual strings, brass and woods stuff plus cenet piano and organs. The trouble is the basic older kit just wasn't that realistic in those areas. If you liked the Yamaha, why not just buy another?

I have the Yamaha MODX8 and it is pretty simple to use out of the box and the samples sound great. It has way more features I never use but for piano, organ and synths out of the box it checks all the boxes. It also has a two channel built in interace to your computer and inputs for another keyboard to run the sound through a stereo mixer of sorts for another keyboard. I am going to buy the MODX7+ and sell the 88 Not a fan of the weighted keys on it for what I do...totally work but feels cheap and clanky.

THe modx+ are available now and the have more memory than the MODX other than that pretty much the same...unbalanced outs The MOntage is a beefier build metal body balanced outs but exact same sound engine..Like the balanced outs but the price and the weight are a deal breaker for a gigging keyboard.

Also if you buy any of the MODX+'s right now they have a rebate thing for a free Yamah sustain and expression pedal (good pedals)

Last edited:
The Korg Pa4X has more features and a better operating system. I think its the biggest too. A older Motif ES or something might be bigger..One of those Corellian ships.

jhjdzqmzuyrzdkjjjgsj.jpg

Get the biggest thing you can find.

Last edited:
Well, looks like there is no return any more so I'm stuck with it. I have managed to figure out how to flag some sounds with stars, but don't seem to be able to see things I've marked with stars all together. I really wish YouTube wasn't the current manual.

What DAW are you using? Was the soundcloud a trial period/ Is that usable as a standalone?What midi device were you using as a controller? If you have a Fantom relax and invest some time in the manual.

Dont give up so easily.

You bought a really powerful, great sounding synth workstation. when you say you can't get things to load, do you mean the thing is empty? That seems unlikely - looking at the manual and the youtube videos it looks quite normal in the way it works - grab a sound, tweak it, slap it on a preset if you want? So what are you struggling with? I'd love one!

Back