Key Board stereo headphones to mono input

I forgot to mention, if you need the right channel instead of the left for some reason, plug a guitar cable into it just to the first click. That will give you the right side, all the way in will give you the left.
I have a Switchcraft Stereo jack in my hand When I plug a 1/4" Phono plug into the first click> both the tip and ring on the jack touch the tip on the phono plug.
Stee--rike

I have a Switchcraft Stereo jack in my hand When I plug a 1/4" Phono plug into the first click> both the tip and ring on the jack touch the tip on the phono plug.
Stee--rike
A guitar cable is mono (TS). A stereo (TRS) cable won't do the same thing.

A guitar cable is mono (TS). A stereo (TRS) cable won't do the same thing.
I have a Switchcraft Stereo Jack in my hand>>> When I plug a 1/4" Stereo Plug into the first click> both the tip and ring on the Stereo Jack touch the tip on the Stereo Plug.
Stee--rike>>>> Two

I have a Switchcraft Stereo Jack in my hand>>> When I plug a 1/4" Stereo Plug into the first click> both the tip and ring on the Stereo Jack touch the tip on the Stereo Plug.
Stee--rike>>>> Two
Again, I said a guitar cable, which is not a stereo cable. A stereo cable will do exactly what you say it's doing, a guitar cable will not. It isn't the same thing.

Farveiw>> How ya doing Buddy? What are they putting in the water over there in Nervana?
You have a Recording Studio...right? Go over to your parts bin and pull out a
Stereo Jack and a Mono and Stereo Plug and stick it in>>>HAHAHAHA
At least look at a stereo plug the distance between the tip and ring contacts is 1/4"

Did you look, or did you try it?

Now I understand what you are saying. Some people call the male 1/4 a jack, so I was confused by what you were saying. Still, the first click thing will work too.

Did you look, or did you try it?

Now I understand what you are saying. Some people call the male 1/4 a jack, so I was confused by what you were saying. Still, the first click thing will work too.
Good Lord... yes I tried it>> What do you think I've been talking about>>>
This a 1/4" switchcraft stereo PHONE JACK:
https://www.google.com/search?q=1/4...9K8KMqAaGuYGgDQ&ved=0CGAQsAQ&biw=1104&bih=618
look how close the tip on the jack is to the ring on the first click
http://www.switchcraft.com/Drawings/14b_cd.pdf
The only way to know is disassemble the equipment to see if the propitiatory OME equipment is not standard

Last edited:
Amazing how far out of whack a thread can go, even after there's a viable solution that's been worked. Is your box still working? Does it still sound good? Why are we dragging this whole thing into the dirt.

Stop and think. You want a signal that is dampered to drive speakers close to your ears to drive a guitar amp? Step away from the DAW! Here are two link on the proper way to re-amp. Don't listen to anyone trying to help you do it your way. Link one: A Guide to Re-Amping Techniques Link two: Reamp : FAQ Good Luck,
Rod Norman
Engineer

Key Board stereo headphone output to mono input. What's the best way besides buying a Mixer?
I want to run my Yamaha NP11 Key Board from the stereo head phone out to a Guitar AMP (MONO)

Agree JLondon... don't over think it guys... Call "Dan VanAmerongon" at Sweetwater.com he is my go to guy with everything from studio to live sound gear... if there is a solution you can't figure out he will have one or find one...those guys are the best and i have always got my deliveries before expected...

Stop and think.... Reamp : FAQ...Engineer
This is not stopping to think, this is stopping to read a document prepared by a manufacture to justify their product which is supposed to make it so that you don't have to think. If you actually stop to think about, and to understand the underlying concepts, you quickly find that the reamp box is only really necessary in a small handful of relatively extreme conditions, or if you just want to be reasonably sure that it will work reasonably well without actually having to stop and think.

There was a time when the term "Engineer" - especially with the capital E - used to mean something other than a guy who buys all the "right" gear and plugs it in the "right" way without any clue as to what's actually happening.

This is a switchcraft 1/4 phone plug>>It helps to know what you are talking about >>Doesn't it?
https://www.google.com/search?q=swi...OL8iV8AH5ioGQDQ&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=1104&bih=618
I know what a 1/4 TRS plug is, I just haven't heard anyone use the term 'jack' in 30 years, and back then in certain parts of the country it meant the female connector and in other parts of the country it meant the male. I had no idea which one you meant, but since you had already made plugging a keyboard into a guitar amp into such a big deal, I assumed the later.

Either way, did you plug the keyboard into the amp with a TS cable, or are you still looking at diagrams and playing in the parts bin?

I totally agree with Ashcat about "Engineers" and people's understanding of sound equipment.

I see a parallel with the early days of the motor car. In the very early days you had to be very rich to run a car or be a very skilled mechanic. By the time I started school, 1950s, a skilled working man could just about afford a car IF he had enough knowledge to change oil, set points, maintain a battery and diagnose and fix the myriad things that went wrong with cars. Even then, a major breakdown, big ends, suspension failure would be beyond his mechanical and probably financial resources.

Today, most people can run a "nail" and cars are so reliable that they need know little more than where to put in the fuel!

Jacks: Over here they are never called "phone" jacks and although the term jack should strictly be reserved for the socket, the plug is often just called a jack. In the network industry jacks are always just the receptacle and plugs are "RJ45" or RJ11 plugs.

We have the term "phono" plug which IMO always be instead called an RCA plug/skt and I tend to qualify jack PLUGS as TS or TRS plugs.

I am on a bit of a mission to teach people some basic audio electronics, but tis hard!

Dave.

It is a lot easier when everyone has the same understanding of the dialogue. :D
Just turn the gizzenhurkle past the point of frakel and your sound will be much plebionner!

in certain parts of the country it meant the female connector and in other parts of the country it meant the male
How ya doin farmer Farveiw? I realize there's a lot of AC/DC going on over there in Honky Tonk Town,
I'll put this terms you can understand>you said to stick the Deal into the Thang it would come out of the
Do-hicky but you had it bass-acwards>the Thang was the Deal and instead of coming out of the Do-hicky
It came out of the Do-hicky and the Thing-a-mabob.

How ya doin farmer Farveiw? I realize there's a lot of AC/DC going on over there in Honky Tonk Town,
I'll put this terms you can understand>you said to stick the Deal into the Thang it would come out of the
Do-hicky but you had it bass-acwards>the Thang was the Deal and instead of coming out of the Do-hicky
It came out of the Do-hicky and the Thing-a-mabob.
Where exactly did you get the impression I was a farmer? You couldn't figure out how to plug a keyboard into a guitar amp, and I'm the idiot?

Back