Keeping Those Cables Neat and Tidy.

Velcro and tie wraps work for me, and I label most cords if not immediately obvious what they go to.

What about keeping them out of the way of things in the rack? I see there are things you can buy but which would be most useful? Bear in mind I'm using 6 snakes and 7 individual cables. And some of the snake heads aren't plugged into anything.

I vary from obseesive tidiness to tangled chaos. Every now and again, I go through, tidy up all the cables and use little velcro straps to keep everything neat and organised. However, usually when I do that, the very next day I discover I have the need to idenitfy and isolate a particular cable, so it all gets undone again.

I bought these at Home Depot and screwed the holders into the desk and riser:

Attachments

• wire ties.jpg
    wire ties.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: TAE
I'm the wrong person to ask about keeping things neat and tidy! I did buy a couple of rolls of the velcro wire ties. I put them on all my mic cords, and guitar cords. It keeps the spaghetti down in the duffel bag that I keep the cords in.

What TR said. I've tried, but while I have one mic set up semi-permanently (at least for the past few months) and can keep the leads short and out of the way, I've got a couple SDCs that get moved around a fair bit depending on whether it's 1 or 2 of us in the room, and which way any camera might be aiming, if one is being used. Those cables are just pulled out of the way when it turns out they're in the way.

Good luck!

Whilst it would make yer mum happy to see you being a tidy boy there are up and downsides to the process.

Apart from the aesthetics, having cables organized can keep noise, mostly hums, at bay...Or NOT! gather the wrong cable together or route them wrongly and you can cause a low level hum.

Once you have worked out the system test it by making a 'zero signal' recording, 20 sec is plenty then export that as a 16 bit .wav and insert into Right Mark Analyser or similar. That will show any mains hums or their harmonics. Rinse and repeat for lowest blips.

Dave.

B67A881C-4658-40D8-B35E-A12F3319281F.jpeg
I used sections of PVC to run cables from my rack to desk.

Attachments

• 6F79ECBC-F027-4C44-9FCD-547C5B2DEEEA.jpeg
    6F79ECBC-F027-4C44-9FCD-547C5B2DEEEA.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 4
  • C66EE8B8-16F1-4A90-8B24-5DC298700CC2.jpeg
    C66EE8B8-16F1-4A90-8B24-5DC298700CC2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Yes, that pipe idea looks great, can I suggest 'mini trunking' as an alternative? As well as being cheaper the cover snaps on so you can lay your cables first then cover when done. Tip: cut some ~100mm pieces of the cover to keep the wires in place then you can slide/snap the rest in when filled (after grokking of course!)
The self adhesive version is useful but the plain sort is better for some applications. Stick it with 'No Nails' or similar or just screw to a wooden surface.

Bonus! Appeals greatly to the distaff side.

Dave.
1641978985368.png

Back