Just starting, help please?

lepardman

I've played piano for years but just now thought it would be amazing to record it, so I'm super excited but nothing is working currently.

TL;DR
Noob at this, can't get anything to work properly.

INFO:
Keyboard: technics sx px 222

Equipment I ordered:
3.5mm to 6.5 mm (1/4 inch) Male to Female Stereo Adapter
3.5mm Male Stereo to Dual 1/4-Inch Male Mono Y-Cable Adapter
1/4 Inch Straight Guitar Cable

I also have a laptop and desktop near my piano that I could use, preferably the laptop.

I first tried using the laptop, but it only has a audio jack, so I used a USB to 3.5mm adapter which has audio and a mic input on it
I tried using all the cables and I have, and no variation worked.

Next, I tried everything on my desktop. My desktop has a built in soundcard, and has a MIC IN input on the back panel. Again, I tried every variation, but the furthest I got was the mic just showing up in "Recording devices" but didn't pick up any audio.

I'm just looking for a cheap (<$100) way to record the audio of my piano. If you could tell me what I'm doing wrong or what other equipment I need, I'll happily order it.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi there,
It looks like your keyboard has a pair of line level outputs which are ideal for recording.
What you want, then, is an audio interface with a pair of line level inputs.

The attempts you describe are a bit of a mix of this and that...Not the way to go.
You may get it to work but it's going to be mono, maybe distorted, and probably not going to sound great.
If you want a detailed explanation of that just ask. :)

The user manual doesn't state if the line outputs are balanced or unbalanced, or explicitly state that they are 1/4", although they usually are,
so if you could show us a picture of the rear connections on your keyboard for confirmation, that'd be great!

If you're happy to commit to unbalanced then one of these and a pair of these should get you up and running BUT show us that picture first,
and let a few others chime in before buying anything. ;)

You need to take the Line Out from the back of the keyboard to a Line In on your soundcard. If it doesn’t have one, you should get an external USB interface with a Line In capable jack. If I has 2 jacks you could record in stereo by using both he L and R outputs.

Or you could connect it as a MIDI device with the appropriate cable if your soundcard has that kind of input, or you acquired a MIDI capable audio interface.

Edit: I see I just repeated what [MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION] said - slow typing on the phone because home internet is out!

Hi there,
It looks like your keyboard has a pair of line level outputs which are ideal for recording.
What you want, then, is an audio interface with a pair of line level inputs.

The attempts you describe are a bit of a mix of this and that...Not the way to go.
You may get it to work but it's going to be mono, maybe distorted, and probably not going to sound great.
If you want a detailed explanation of that just ask. :)

The user manual doesn't state if the line outputs are balanced or unbalanced, or explicitly state that they are 1/4", although they usually are,
so if you could show us a picture of the rear connections on your keyboard for confirmation, that'd be great!

If you're happy to commit to unbalanced then

You need to take the Line Out from the back of the keyboard to a Line In on your soundcard. If it doesn’t have one, you should get an external USB interface with a Line In capable jack. If I has 2 jacks you could record in stereo by using both he L and R outputs.

Or you could connect it as a MIDI device with the appropriate cable if your soundcard has that kind of input, or you acquired a MIDI capable audio interface.

Edit: I see I just repeated what [MENTION=43272]Steenamaroo[/MENTION] said - slow typing on the phone because home internet is out!

I attached the back of my keyboard's back, thanks for all the help btw!

My desktop has a Line In and Mic In, but I'd much rather record on my laptop so I can have it right beside my piano.

What would you recommend me ordering to make this setup work?

Attachments

• Snapchat-167548693.jpg
    Snapchat-167548693.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 16
Those look like 1/4" to me so, yeah...The two items linked in my previous post should work just fine.

Alternatively you could just get/make a 2x 1/4" TS to 1x 1/8" TRS cable like this and run straight into your computer as long as it's definitely got a stereo line input.
Be aware, though, quite often the line input inside a computer can be noisy and that's part of the reason why we end up using external devices.

Those look like 1/4" to me so, yeah...The two items linked in my previous post should work just fine.

Alternatively you could just get/make a and run straight into your computer as long as it's definitely got a stereo line input.
Be aware, though, quite often the line input inside a computer can be noisy and that's part of the reason why we end up using external devices.
I actually have that cable, except it's too short to reach my desktop (which has the Line In).

I ordered the U-CONTROL off of Amazon, but can't find the Stagg Twin Jack to Phono Cable, 0.6m anywhere that will ship to US for a reasonable price. Do you have any substitute that would work? Preferably on amazon US or something?

Again thanks so much!

EDIT:
also what software would you recommend once I get 2 above items?

Any brand of cable will do, as long is its 2 x 1/4" to RCA.
Here's another example - Just pulling the first thing out of google.

Reaper is a good place to start, if for no other reason than it's free to try and quick to download/install. :)

Any brand of cable will do, as long is its 2 x 1/4" to RCA.

Reaper is a good place to start, if for no other reason than it's free to try and quick to download/install. :)
Alright thanks.

Is it one or two of the 1/4 in to RCA?

Just curious why I need 2 of the 1/4 to RCA tho? On the U-CONTROL there's 2 inputs and 2 outputs, wouldnt 1 cable suffice since it has 2 1/4 inch and 2 RCA

If you use two then you have a left signal and a right signal, just like you'd have through headphones.
Most electric pianos do make use of stereo, where the left side is heavier on bass and the right heavier on treble, to create a stereo image similar to if you were sitting in front of the piano.

Also, any effects that they keyboard might have (reverb, delay, chorus) are probably stereo.

It's not essential but, if the option's there, it makes sense.

If you use two then you have a left signal and a right signal, just like you'd have through headphones.
Most electric pianos do make use of stereo, where the left side is heavier on bass and the right heavier on treble, to create a stereo image similar to if you were sitting in front of the piano.

Also, any effects that they keyboard might have (reverb, delay, chorus) are probably stereo.

It's not essential but, if the option's there, it makes sense.

Ok so I finally got the U-CONTROL and the cables to go along with it and got it recording in Reaper.

Few questions:
1) Still don't understand how I can use TWO cables when there's only enough room for ONE input pair (on the controller)
2) Should I play with the mic levels on my Windows Recording settings? It seems sometimes it reaper if you play loudly, it messes up the quality.
3) Any way to increase quality, kinda for question

At least I got it recording now, so I'm happy!

Hi,
They keyboard has a left 1/4" output and a right 1/4" output,
and the Behringer has a left rca input and a right rca input,
so that's two cables. One for left, one for right.

I don't believe the Windows recording settings should have any effect, but one of our resident PC guys will be more familiar with the ridiculous sequence of hoops, if there is one.
Stick around. ;)

Increase quality....Can you describe what you mean by that, or the specific problem?

If you mean me Steen' ? Yes, pretty experienced in the 'whale ***t kit department. Fire away chap!

Dave.

Ha! Hey Dave. :)
Do you know if Windows sound settings would affect a UCA 222, or would it bypass?

No, Windows has to be setup to use the 202 as Default record and play device and check the levels. I can post some screen shots if needed.

As the 'quality' question? It might sound odd but the UCA 202 ia actually bloody good! Far better than most OBoard soundcards so I suspect OP is clipping the wee beastie?

Dave.

Thanks Dave,
Is there a unity setting, or a recommending way the OP should set up his software input levels?
This is all foreign to me.

Thanks Dave,
Is there a unity setting, or a recommending way the OP should set up his software input levels?
This is all foreign to me.

The playback level should probably be set to maximum and then suck and see the record 'gain' . Like any A/D you cannot avoid input clipping if the signal is too hot. No, not even the Mighty Mac can beat physics!

I will dig out my 202 and report back tomorrow.

Dave.

I found an online manual for the SX-PX222/M and it has this: LINE OUT (output level 1.5 Vrms, 600 Ω)

That might be a little bit hot for the 2x2 converters if they're expecting consumer line-level. Maybe have to use headphone out with the volume dialed back.

I found an online manual for the SX-PX222/M and it has this: LINE OUT (output level 1.5 Vrms, 600 Ω)

That might be a little bit hot for the 2x2 converters if they're expecting consumer line-level. Maybe have to use headphone out with the volume dialed back.

F Me! Got the quote right this time! Yes, but I was thinking OP could knock the MIDI velocity down by 6dB? I seem to remember that volume aka velocity, is either 0 to 126 or 1 to 127? 6dB would make max out pretty near 0dBu which will suit the 202 nicely.

Dave.

Back