just ordered two stacks of owens 705 - seeking advice

question444

I just bought twelve panels of Owens Corning 705 rigid fiberglass. (2' x 4' x 2") I have a rehearsal room that is also used occasionally for recording. The room dimensions are approximately...x: 10' y: 15' z: 9'. My plan is to cut right-triangles and stack them in the three available corners of the room. (Each wedge would be 5.3' tall and 2' wide.) If I were to cut the triangles smaller (1.4' wide), I could stack them all the way to the ceiling.

As you might know, this stuff is a little expensive, so before I go cutting, I'd be very grateful to hear anyone's suggestions as to how I should configure this material. Thanks a lot.

I personally would just keep the 2x4 panels in-tact,cover them and stradle them across the corners. You could then go floor almost to ceiling with 2 panels stacked on top of each other (8ft high). You would use 8 panels for the 4 corners and then you could hang the other 4 panels on the walls. When you can afford more, just double up in the corners for 4 inches of thickness.
Don't know your room layout though, I'm sure the triangles would work too.
Now let's here from the experts....

If I were to cut the triangles smaller (1.4' wide), I could stack them all the way to the ceiling.
Doing 16 small triangular pieces of each panel (40x30x30 cm)?
I did it,but after changing for 2'x4'x 4" with air gap the (measured) absorption was improved.
It confirms what I use to read about ... seems 2' wide is the "minimun" way to go.

Ciro

Does anyone know why 705-FRK is rated much more absorptive than plain 705 ?
(attached owens corning absorption coefficients) Will they compare more similarly in bass frequencies (below 125hz)? I have the plain 705, and I'm wondering if I should have gotten the 705-FRK. These will be used for bass traps.

Last edited:
Back