Just got a TASCAM 488 mk2 some issues

Rickson Gracie

First off I've made a test recording using some high end pre/compressors out of my 500 series lunchbox with some good mics etc and I'm pretty impressed with what this baby can do. I think the multitrack cassette format gets bad wrap because of the internal preamps of many TASCAM machines and general amateurish recording techniques. The mixer so far has worked pretty well for summing everything up.

I have a well maintained TSR-8 & a Trident T8 8 Channel mixing board in storage that I would like to compare the 488 with. I know on paper the TSR-8 should blow away the 488 but I'm curious. Any one ever try and compare these two formats?

Issues:
the seller didn't mention that the 488 needed a LOT of deoxing. To get the pots and switches working well. While trying to get the PLAY button working smoothly the button broke through and almost fell into the machine. Now I need to be extremely gentle when using the PLAY button so it doesn't fall into the machine. Can I assume this can be replaced and fixed easily?

Another issue is a constant whirling humming sound coming from the machine. Could this be fixed with new belts??

The heads have been cleaned with the recommended alcohol and cotton swabs and demagnetized.

Thanks for any advice.

To get the pots and switches working well. While trying to get the PLAY button working smoothly the button broke through and almost fell into the machine. Now I need to be extremely gentle when using the PLAY button so it doesn't fall into the machine. Can I assume this can be replaced and fixed easily?
I have the MK 1 and my play button came loose and nearly fell through after 17 years of constant use. One of my rewind buttons too. I got them fixed. The rewind button is a bit stiff but they shouldn't be hard to fix.

Another issue is a constant whirling humming sound coming from the machine. Could this be fixed with new belts?? The heads have been cleaned with the recommended alcohol and cotton swabs and demagnetized.

The whirring/humming noise could be a belt.. tricky, but fairly easy to replace- it could also be the capstan motor.
if you notice your tape speed slowing dramatically and the noise gets louder it could be the motor. a much more trickier fix but not too expensive. I got real lucky when mine went because there was a vintage audio repair guy in my town. you can order the belt right from Tascam - but I've heard some horror stories about Tascam & repairs.

Back