Just about fell out of my chair!!

Pro Tools User

This is a my dream studio here,.... I saw this and said damn that could be me in a few yrs, better yet this is gonna be what my setup will look like as the wife gives me a look like yeah right. lol No but seriously this studio has the look and feel that I would love to call my own someday.
Check it out

http://www.greatdividestudios.com

Maybe I'm cynical but every time I look at a Digidesign heavy studio I can't help thinking: "gee, that ProTools rig is worth about 75k... and in 2 years it will be worth about 8K..."

Nice studio, but blechy gear that devaluates. I'm not rich enough to afford ProTools upgrades. Gimme analog gear and a RADAR and I'm good.

I'm actually most impressed by the chair at the mix position. Those are sweet, about $800 each. I sat in one everyday for 2 months while working in Austin, TX. I'm spoiled now.

I was going to say the same thing Blue. Ur place has way more personality. That studio was 100 X's better than mine though so I guess I can't talk.

Well Blue, yours is sweet also and your already there as far as having a full studio. For me this is still a ways off but within reach...Heck I'm stuck in a third floor attic....... so until then its just a dream. lol This studio just really caught my eye as far as a professional homey attitude and feel. (warm) (relaxing). If you catch my drift. Maybe Im more conservative not sure but definately love what this guy has going on here.

hey blue i've been wondering: how does one hook up those giant analog mixing consoles to a computer (for use in cubase specifically)?

T-Rat -- I like the plant in the corner.. nice touch!!! :)

solaris0031 said:
hey blue i've been wondering: how does one hook up those giant analog mixing consoles to a computer (for use in cubase specifically)?
Everything's wired in standard multitrack configuration between the the hard-disk recorder (HD24) and the console. There's no direct link between the DAW and the console unless I patch it via the bay. The DAW is wired digitally (via digital patchbay) to the hard-disk recorder. From there I can either send it to the HD24, or THRU the HD24 to the console, depending on what I'm trying to do.

Hey Bruce - Sorry to hijack the thread but could you explain this for my pea brain some more ?

I know that you use Cubase SX, but how do you use it if you are using an HD24 ?

vestast said:
Hey Bruce - Sorry to hijack the thread but could you explain this for my pea brain some more ?

I know that you use Cubase SX, but how do you use it if you are using an HD24 ?
We use the software JUST as an editor, then dump the tracks back through the HD24 to mix on the desk.

More often than not, like T-Rat - I use the DAW for editing: sending tracks digitally (either via the RME card or directly via the Fireport) between the DAW and the HD24.

The HD24 is wired to the console, via PBs.... and so, if I want to go from the DAW to the console, I can do it using the HD24 simply as a THRU, or by dumping the tracks to the HD24 and then using it as a standard multitrack.

Last edited:
Back