JBL LSR305 now, or wait and get JBL LSR308.

conanthewarrior

Hi everyone, I have acquired everything I need for my home studio, apart from my main monitors. I'm currently using HD 25 I-II's and M50X's.

I've heard good things about the JBL LSR range, and as I am on a tight budget these fit my price range (I am recovering form a serious illness, so am not working- every penny counts at the moment).

I can either buy the JBL LSR305's right now, or wait 1-2 weeks and get the JBL LSR308's.

I mainly produce grime, hip hop, Drum and bass, and also enjoy making metal and rock. I really want to be able to hear the low end while I mix, as well as the other frequency ranges.

My room is 14x11x8.6 ft. I worry that the smaller speakers won't have enough low end for my needs, but then worry the larger ones will be too big for my room.
It's not the space- I have plenty of room, I mean sound wise.

So, would I be best getting the 5 inch, or the 8 inch version? The 8's will cost me around a £100-120 more.

Or, is there something better available in that price range?

Thanks, Conan.

I see......based on your headphone choices and your music genre that bass is going to be key for you. Despite the extra cost I think you'd be better served to wait a bit and get the LSR308's.......and never wonder later if you should have. As you likely know..........no monitor is going to tell you the truth unless your room is treated properly..........and your room measurements tell me that you need to be very careful in the regard.

Best of luck in your recovery!!!

With the 305's you will probably need a sub-this is not just the JBL's , its just small speakers in general, I have had a pair of 308's for about four months and they replaced tannoy reveals with a Yamaha sub. The 308s don't do the booming sub but they have a pretty accurate low end, so I still check the lows on the sub occasionally, but less and less the more I get used to the 308's. By the way I have them in a 12x 14' room and though I keep the volume under control they are a bit loud in such a small space. YMMV

For hip hop, chances are you'll want a sub even with the 308s.
Note: both models have rear-firing bass ports. You will need bass traps (rockwool or compressed fiberglass, not foam) on the wall behind the speakers in a room that size.

Always wait for better monitoring. Weeks, months - years if necessary. The most important part of your chain by far. That, and broadband trapping of course.

Back