jazz tune if you'd care to listen...

houdini

I have a new song posted at the following web site, under the title "First Time". If anybody would care to listen and comment I'd be extremely grateful. It's a guitar-oriented swing/jazz thing. I know the mix isn't very hot and I've worked on a re-mix which will be posted in the next day or 2; but, otherwise, any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

artists.mp3s.com/artists/59/earresponsible.html

[This message has been edited by houdini (edited 10-25-1999).]

Nice job. Was that a Jammer arrangement? As to keeping up with the fairly constant key changes, you didn't nail it 100%, but you sure kicked my butt as I tried to duplicate that feat in real time. When the whole mix starts sounding <that> good, it becomes more worthwhile to use a MIDI editor and tweak the rhythm tracks so that successive repetitions don't sound like successive repetitions. For that horn solo, add a couple of tracks using some other instruments with just a few notes on each that both harmonize and reinforce the lead line. I'm not really partial to that lead guitar tone; used by Pat Martino with great success. I like it a little crisper with less reverb. But I guess that's getting too personal. :)
As to "hot" it wasn't off all that much.
1.3 dB.

Thanks for the reply and comments drstrawl...I do appreciate the honesty. It is a Band in Box arrangement. I entered the chord changes and did some midi-editing with the drum track and BiB did the rest as far as bass, piano and horn.

Thanks for the tip on embellishing the horn solo; I'll see what I can do. Obviously, I'll keep working on playing through the changes. I'm an old school rocker trying to learn the jazz thing.

thanks again...

Not to shabby. I've never been much of a fan of synthesized horns, but then we can't go carting a horn section around with us all the time, can we? (I used to play trumpet myself back in the day, albeit poorly). The guitar was groovy stuff though: good tone, and some pretty cookin riffs thrown in there. I particularly liked that last solo. Good stuff.

-Nate K

Back