Jacks that sounds like shit.

Stefan Elmblad

Hi, didn't know where else to post this. I bought a new (used) desk yesterday and on channel 4 the signal suddenly drops in level and gets distorted.... if I press the "flip" button (which flips the A and B channels, it's a inline desk) back and forth at twice the speed of light, it goes away.... and then returns after a while. I'm not too good at english so I don't know how to explain the problem, but the desk has been unused for some years so my guess is that it's just oxidation (if its called so ?) on the contact surfaces inside the jack ?

Can I use some of the spray that I use for cleaning electrical shit in my car ?? Also the meter on subgroup 6 shows a few dB less when fed the same signal as the other subgroups. Can the meter "slip out" of calibration ?? Or is it a greater risk that the signal itself going through the subgroup is being damped in any way ??

The desk is a Soundtracs Topaz 8 group. (same as Harveys studio B, but the 24-ch version)

Caig makes a line of products and sprays for cleaning jacks, such as "Deoxit" spray that are very reasonably priced and worth a try. It won't hurt your gear - who knows what your auto spray might do?

And if that doesn't work and if at all possible, replace the female jack with a new one!

BTW, your English is most excellent!!
Your usage is even better than a lot of folks here!!:cool:

Taking the unit to a shop for a good solid cleaning is not a bad option, and generally not very pricey. Sure you can buy a few assorted cans of cleaners and take a stab at it, but a shop will be very very thourough and generally have a guarentee.

And if anyone snivels about your English (which is fine) ask them to reply to you in Swedish.

Thank you all for your nice replies.. guess I can continue to speak English then :) I've come to the conclusion that I probably should check with a shop how much they would charge me for a good cleaning and overall check of the desk, before I try it myself.
But it would probably be worth a lot to get it done, 'cause it's a beautifully sounding desk. The EQ's are the most musical sounding I've ever worked with.

Again, thanks.

Back