JacKerouac (dressed to kill)

flat-9

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2683&alid=-1

Howdy,

Couldn't stand it anymore and put some clothes on him. Formerly naked for the HRC, he has now been treated at The Sonic Haberdashery. I nit-picked him first, threw him in the shower, then tidied up his skanky ass with a full 'mix'shampoo and body scrub, dumped his piano, kept his muted horns but tweaked them, panned his B3 slightly and sprayed him lightly with ' Verb ' aftershave. ( no, we are not gay, but he really needed some help as he's been into the bathtub gin for a couple of weeks (bein' naked an' all.)

Stuffed a sawbuck in his clammy palm, some MadDog 20/20 in his backpack & sent him ' On The Road' . If you happen to catch him, drop me a post & let me know if he's presentable!

"The score" got a few laughs on the naked post, esp the drum part, so I posted it for a few more giggles :D

Thanks,
Ralph

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2683&alid=-1

Attachments

• jackerouac 2.jpg
    jackerouac 2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 126
I sucked all the blue stuff out of my slushy drink listenin to this. Now i gotta go fill it with coke or somehting and listen again. :)
I got the entire Miller collection and most the Goodman, not to forget the Dorsey Bro`s,..... this goes in the pool. They`d all be beamin' and boppin with this.

Did you post something about your struggles with drum recording a short while back?:confused:

Those drums are FANTASTIC! They are AS good as the rest of the recording/playing!!!
This piece is 100% of what Pro music should be. Seems that you've raised the bar for the rest of us here. A BIG Thanks, My neck was getting tired of constantly having that bar visible but untouchable.

Now its so high its out of view,:) so my neck can get that needed rest. That feels so much better!

Hard to believe that this is a home recording. You must have a PRO studio in your house:D

Peace
Bill

Toki987 said:
I sucked all the blue stuff out of my slushy drink listenin to this. Now i gotta go fill it with coke or somehting and listen again. :)
I got the entire Miller collection and most the Goodman, not to forget the Dorsey Bro`s,..... this goes in the pool. They`d all be beamin' and boppin with this.

LOL.Lay off that blue shit will ya....naaaah I love it too.

Maybe not Miller, Goodman or Dorsey......I was sorta lookin for Monk, Bird and Dizzy!

Thanks,
Ken

flat-9 said:
LOL.Lay off that blue shit will ya....naaaah I love it too.

Maybe not Miller, Goodman or Dorsey......I was sorta lookin for Monk, Bird and Dizzy!

Thanks,
Ken

hehehe, I agree, Chic even . but I was thinking about 28 ppl after lookin at the pic of that score. I love the big band stuff. Don't know beans about playing any of it, but i love to listen :)

Bill,

Now that your back is in better shape, don't go twistin your neck like that!:p

Seriously, thanks for the kind words, I dig your blues post.:cool:

My 'input needed' post was for help with 'live drums'. JacKerouac's are a Roland Brush Kit Sequenced on a JV1000. Easy to record, but a bitch to program. ( But I cheated on this one and did a skeleton track first, recorded all the other parts, then went back and played the kicks, accents etc...and yes, I quantized the shit out of 'em.

PRO studio?? nahhh: 5 Keyboards, 2 sequencers, MR8, PC with Cool Edit Pro and a couple of SM58s. Oh, lots of friggin cables too! :D

Peace to you to man,
Ralph

Oh, lots of friggin cables too!

You should check out my live guitar rig sometime. Cord hell!:eek:

This sounds more polished, but I still ain't diggin' the horn sounds. Like to hear those take a step or two back. Haven't heard many horn samples that I like.

I think the B3 needs to be centered, since it's the focal point of the tune. A nice stereo leslie would give it some space. The drum panning is a bit wide too.;)

You already know what I think of this composition, and your chops.:D

Pretty cool stuff man!! Nice playing. To my tastes I would like to hear a little more melodic stuff going on, but hey, the improving kind of stuff sounds damn cool too.

Did I say "great chops" yet? Very nice. I would love to hear this recorded with "real" instruments. Then again I could say that about my stuff too :D.

Nice work... mix sounded pretty damn good to me.

flat 9'er........ cool stuff man!!!
.......I must have missed the nekked version you posted. Im diggin this though. First off.... any song w/ Kerouc's name anywhere near it has got to be good.
Very nice playing here. Youve got a good feel for this stuff, and i agree..... the drums kick butt. ...very nicely done. I kinda agree with what brane said regarding the b3 being located a bit closer to the middle. After the first listen i was gonna also suggest stripping just a touch of low end off of that bass... .... just to clean it up in the mix a touch. .....after 3 listens.....
.......very very VERY nice man!!!!!
gw/5 ......nice to hear this stuff in here.

Hi Ralph,
Hey man,
That Bass line seems to have come to life.....

Is it live or is it memorex?? :D

drums seem too good....
too perfect........ya know what I mean?

ya oughta get flat jr. on this one....

real cool Daddio....
**joro snaps his fingers as he strokes his goatee and drinks his expresso**

A head bobber for sure!

Some of the layered saw type sounds definately have a Corea feel.

The B3 is top notch as usual.

Love the walkin' Bass line.

Great job.
Joel

I just realized that I would have to have 3 hands to .........

ahhhhhhhhhhh....never mind :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Sounds excellent over here! The drums may use just a slight boost, but otherwise...

Crazy time signatures all over this one! Loved the photo!

ROCK ON!

:D

great listen! really excellent playing! like I said before, the best keys on the board..

that being said, I'll drop some thoughts that no one else but people from the clinic would even notice..

the background music (like the horns) sound extra canned to me.. very general midi sounding horns.. also, I don't like those cymbals..

nice drum programming.. very diggable tune sir..

I would like to hear Lt. Bob go nuts on something like this..

I loved the rhythm and the changes and of course your chops at the keys.

It had the emotion required.

And it had your chops on keys for those nice fills and leads.

That said- it has a Band-in-the-Box aura to it that I think comes from either the bass line or those horn lines.

The bass line that BIAB comes up with is usually pretty cool if you match the genre to what the programmer was thinking. And the tone on that bass was very sweet. The horn patches were pathetic!! They didn't create the impression of Bird or Diz- they screamed Casio.

So based on your keys chops, I'd say it was the horns.

Ralph,
Are you sure you don't have like seven fingers on both hands? Man that is some serious riffage! Can't wait for July to roll around....already have a tune written, but from the sounds of the one you just posted it'll bore the hell outta you! Maybe you could just tie a few of those fingers together to make it more of a challenge. You are one bad dude! I for one like this mix a lot better than the other one.

bd

Very nice playing for sure.

The horn patches aren't too good....I think you'd be better off using a B-3 sound for those stabs than those patches......
Also, although the drums are happening.....I HATE that dbl bass drum thing that's going on. Well maybe it's a floor tom that sounds like a kick, but it sounds like a drummer with double kicks just playing them as much as he can........I wouldn't like it if it were a real drummer, and I don't care for it here........even though it's a fairly busy piece, it needs to groove some and that dbl kick keeps it from doing that...IMHOP.....very nice chops man.
I'd love to play on something with ya' sometime.

Back