I've went through two different brand new RODE NT2A microphones, both bad!

Some condenser mics need rather high Phantom current and voltage over +40V with such curent.
Not all preamps/mixers/interfaces (noted as phantom power sources) are providing it.
Some mixers can not provide normal Phantom current/voltage if several channels are using Phantom power the same time - power supply is to weak.
Some are not providing even +48V voltage, but someone accidental voltage (for example +12V, or +15V, or +24V, etc, any voltage they have under hand inside this device...) !
The same time many cheap electret condenser microphones are working even from +5V voltage.
So the best is to check your phantom power source under simulated load(s) first.

re: Rode mic

Hello my name is Joe, I've just recently setup my home studio using pro tools 11 and a Mbox Pro. I purchased the SHURE 57-52 drum pack, Studio Projects C4 condensers, and a RODE NT2A microphone.When I tested everything I had no problems except with the RODE NT2A, mind you I had tested the C4s and they worked perfectly with the +48v phantom power on but not the RODE :( So I said some choice words to myself , scratched my brain thinking "what could be the problem?" I cooled down for a minute and proceeded to call up the dealer, He said "It sounds like a faulty mic. Send the dud back to us and we will ship you a new one" no biggy right? WRONG, I just got the new one in today and guess what, DOESNT WORK AGAIN!?!?! Am I really this unlucky or am I missing something? Phantom power on, trying all inputs and trying multiple XLRs and I got nothing. :( Someone please help me.
Have you tried a different cable?

power needed by a Rode

Some condenser mics need rather high Phantom current and voltage over +40V with such curent.
Not all preamps/mixers/interfaces (noted as phantom power sources) are providing it.
Some mixers can not provide normal Phantom current/voltage if several channels are using Phantom power the same time - power supply is to weak.
Some are not providing even +48V voltage, but someone accidental voltage (for example +12V, or +15V, or +24V, etc, any voltage they have under hand inside this device...) !
The same time many cheap electret condenser microphones are working even from +5V voltage.
So the best is to check your phantom power source under simulated load(s) first.

The Rode Mics, like the NT series that use large diaphragms, need some minimal 3 mA current at 48V. If the gear supplying the phantom power is not capable of producing this PER mic XLR connection, a NT 2 or alike will NOT work. Some of these cheaper gear can only feed one mic in total at these specs, when 2 or more are connected the supply will fail, at lower voltages this gear will sometimes be able to feed 2 or 3 mics, apparently the other brand mics need less mA at a certain voltage to work. Check the specs of the power supplying gear and most probably it will appear that the supply is not capable of providing this much power.

Back