I've went through two different brand new RODE NT2A microphones, both bad!

joewo1987

Hello my name is Joe, I've just recently setup my home studio using pro tools 11 and a Mbox Pro. I purchased the SHURE 57-52 drum pack, Studio Projects C4 condensers, and a RODE NT2A microphone.When I tested everything I had no problems except with the RODE NT2A, mind you I had tested the C4s and they worked perfectly with the +48v phantom power on but not the RODE :( So I said some choice words to myself , scratched my brain thinking "what could be the problem?" I cooled down for a minute and proceeded to call up the dealer, He said "It sounds like a faulty mic. Send the dud back to us and we will ship you a new one" no biggy right? WRONG, I just got the new one in today and guess what, DOESNT WORK AGAIN!?!?! Am I really this unlucky or am I missing something? Phantom power on, trying all inputs and trying multiple XLRs and I got nothing. :( Someone please help me.

I'm struggling to think of anything it could be other than a second faulty mic.
NT2 specs say 48 or 24v, so I doubt there any problem with phantom power supply.

Do you know anyone with a mixer/interface who could double check the mic for you?

$5 says they sent you back the same mic.

Note the serial number on the mic and send it back to the dealer.

If you get the same mic back be sure and let us know who the dealer is.

And drop a line to the state attorney general too.

Over the years I've seen numerous reports of M boxes, particularly the earlier ones, not providing sufficient phantom power to meet the normal spec. Many condensers will work with far less than spec but I'd try the Rode mic on a known "good" source of phantom before blaming the mic or the dealer.

Over the years I've seen numerous reports of M boxes, particularly the earlier ones, not providing sufficient phantom power to meet the normal spec. Many condensers will work with far less than spec but I'd try the Rode mic on a known "good" source of phantom before blaming the mic or the dealer.

I'm going to try it out tomorrow on the sound board at my church, I will deliver an update in this thread and tell the results to you all. Thanks for all your input :)

Update! The mic works with the phantom power on the sound board at my church, so it must be that the phantom power in the Mbox isn't reaching the full 48v allowing the mic to appear useless, I'm guessing that the Studio Projects C4s do not require as much voltage as the larger diaphragm RODE NT2A, so that is why they work and not the RODE right? So in conclusion , I guess my Mbox is shotty, right?

Would seem that way. This is probably why the store returned the mic to you.
They'll have tested it, ruled out fault, and sent it back.

You could pick up a cheap phantom power supply if you think it'll help, or try the mbox in a different USB port.
I guess the limitation could be at the computer, rather than the interface.

Huh that's crazy. I have two NT2-a's, and I've loved them. In fact, one of them have fallen to the ground TWICE (both times the mic stand tipping over)....and this is concrete. And it still sounds the same. Except after the first time, there was this inaudible hiss that appeared on my meters but couldn't hear it, but it disappeared the second time it fell over.

The Rode website says the NT2A can use lower voltage, 24volts. But maybe if you're running the mbox off the USB port, your computer isn't putting out enough current. Not that condensers use much current, but they do use some and the interface itself could be maxing out the usb port. Can you use an external power source for your interface?

Another look at the MBox Pro pics..... appears to have Firewire and no USB.

Proving that there's no room for guessing on forums. :facepalm:
Thanks arcaxis. :) I should have checked.

OP, if the power supply is an optional extra for whatever reason, certainly try it.

The Rode website says the NT2A can use lower voltage, 24volts. But maybe if you're running the mbox off the USB port, your computer isn't putting out enough current. Not that condensers use much current, but they do use some and the interface itself could be maxing out the usb port. Can you use an external power source for your interface?

It's not running off USB power it's powered off of DC. I've talked to my dealer and he's going to send me a new one. It appears that this mbox has been the problem the entire time.

It's not running off USB power it's powered off of DC. I've talked to my dealer and he's going to send me a new one. It appears that this mbox has been the problem the entire time.

Sounds like you're getting the right response from the dealer. That's good to hear.

I have NT2A and 6 other Rode mics for about 3-5 years. All of them very good mics, never have any problem. I read your stores and ryplays to it. You did not mention who was a dealer?. I think you get back the same mic. I thikn "C7SUS" is right about it. Try to contact Rode directly and perhaps they will help you.

Back