It's 3 am and I'm getting weird...

It's 7am, and you've got me feeling weird ;)

Very cool. Nothing really to offer as far as mix suggestions. This one is more about character than a traditionally good mix. And this has plenty of character. Maybe later in the day I can listen again for sonics - but right now it's working fine with my ears.

Guitar and bass work nicely together. Love them vocals. Great stuff, as usual.

Whoa

Weird and wonderful at the same time.
"deadman's jones":)
Love the guitar tone and playing.
You really need to get some rest my man:)

Loved it!

Dan

Cool guitar sounds. I liked the mix of vocal parts. The whispers were cool. Interesting harmonies. Real good deep "knock you over" bass.

I'm hearing lots of pops - :09 (may be intentional), :25, :29, :41, 1:17. Maybe others.

the concept of the song is pretty cool. I feel I hear some timing problems and clams with the gtr licks sometimes. Not as "comfortable" as they could be. I like the idea of the sound "open and closing" for a lack of better words....but the timing seems "cut and paste" and JUST missing the mark by a smidgen.

Thanks for the listen guys. TripleM: if you can, could you elaborate on the "pops"? Do you mean like, plosives? Or maybe the crackling that accompanies a couple of the loops (the core "rhythm" section of the song - if you could call it that - is a bunch of lo-fi loops mashed together). Thanks for your ears.

Mix: yeah, what can I say - I wanted it not to be too comfortable.:) In fact I re-tracked the original guitar part because it was too "normal". Was going for something a little more abrasive I suppose. Thanks for the comments.

Chris

They were definitely not plosives. I think the crackling on your loops was what I was talking about. I may have missed some of them because at some spots they were covered up by other parts of the song.

But I'll bet that's it.

This is a very cool song. The little vocal hooks and the turn around with the backing vocals, excellent stuff. Great guitar track. The vocal embelishments really kicked. rhymes and phrasing were very cool.

That bass sound had me reaching for the volume knob pretty
bloody quick. Once it settled in it went along pretty smooth.

Doug

really liked it.

I'm defineately giving another listen.
Reminds me of ZZTop old stuff slown down and grittier.
I dig it alot!!

-joe

Triplem: thanks for the feedback on the crackling - the loops were straddling that line between "deliberately dirty" and "distractingly dirty" - but I just dug that weird crackly sound.

Doug: thanks for the comments. Yeah, the bass (as always) gave me the most problems. So hard to get that damn instrument right for me.

WATYF: thanks, man! Actually, the sound you heard is the "World War II Bomb" sound from a sound effects disk. Quite a snare drum, eh?

Incidentally, http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/sounds.html?0
is a great place to get good quality sound effects for free.

okobd: thanks for the listen. Yeah, maybe ZZ top on 78 speed?:)

'Preciate it, guys.

Chris (well-rested now)

had to track the thread down

Grocho,
I've had this song in my head since I heard it, and I had to track this thread down at home so I could d/l it on my pc here.
Just thought I'd drop you a note to give you another vote for the groooooooooooooooooviest song i've heard in a while.
ps, thanks for the forgotten word, watyf
-oko

Was that noise on the bass intentional?

Was it actually on the bass, or just keyed to it to freak people out? :D

Can really hear the room that guitar is in.;)

Wish I could crank the big speakers right now.....

M.Brane said:
Was that noise on the bass intentional?

Was it actually on the bass, or just keyed to it to freak people out? :D

Can really hear the room that guitar is in.;)

Wish I could crank the big speakers right now.....

The bass is actually a loop fragment - and there's more than just the bass on it. It also has that sort of acoustic guitar-ish-sounding riff on there as well - along with the crackling noise. I liked everything else about the loop, so I decided I could live with the surface noise. Sort of adds to the lunacy.:)

Ha! I *love* it when I get "room" comments about a guitar that I recorded direct using amp modeling!

Chris

Man, chris... this is weird-good. Even the static-y bass note-samples that come in. Did I mention "Daniel Ash" to you before? You've got his delivery down pat... "This Love"... check it out.

Nice vocal overdubs.

This could use some fleshing out. The solo guitar seems a bit dry all by itself. A few more Beck-like samples thrown in could bring out this weirdo thing and become something really memorable. (Uh... Beck Hanson, not Mr Jeff)....

Twisted and creative, in a really musical way. One star, my ass (a... hmm... that could get your imagination going....)

C

Thanks for the listen, participant.

Never heard the Ash solo stuff, but Beck is one of my homerecording heroes. There's a guy who didn't let lack of gear stop him... at least in the beginning.

Ha, didn't even notice the star. I never look over there.

Cheers,
Chris

I`ll hear this in a couple of hrs when I get home. I listened on lofi yesterday but I`ll hear it in hifi today.

the vibe was steamy, dark and mysterious. Kinda like a backstreet chinatown opium den vibe. The mix was airy and open. Guitar had a mean dark tubey sound that I liked a lot, but a little to far back in the mix. The bass was real cool, had a harmonic that was poking out that got my attention, sounds like a layer. There`s a hit on the bass and kick sorta missing about 3/4 through the tune that left a bit much open air time. A few clicky noises in the mix but didnt bother me much. I liked it...

Back