It is FINE if you don't want to listen ... but I'd appreciate it nonetheless

"It's hard to let things go"

Earbud listen. You can drop Tjarko's Black Magic bass part a couple dB when he's working the high fretboard - it'll be just as heard and more impressive.

You might consider reigning in the snare level on the quieter parts of 'Mona' - it doesn't need to cut through or punch during the gentle bits.

I'm glad I came back here and checked on how people have gotten on with their music. Lots are clearly better, and you're one, too. Makes me feel better in a time of one shit thing after another. Cheers, Kev.

BTW, this the best I've heard from you. Hands down. Great work.

So I've listened thru 5 times now and I think I am starting to get it. There are shades of Ben Folds, Steely Dan, George Harrison, but you still shine thru.
The bass is impeccable. Vocals outstanding. Guitar work reminds me of Steely Dan in places, especially where it does that auto-wah thing like on SDs My Old School. The drum sounds are great too as is the playing.
Very enjoyable listen.
ALL mentioned are big influences.

To me, the mid-late 70s era of rock - from Billy Joel, Elton John to Steely Dan (Ben Folds hit in the 80s - but (like me) is molded in that era) was the prime time for rock.

Fleetwood Mac, Sheryl Crow ... all of it still (what was then) singer songwriter driven pop flavored rock.

Taylor Swift sort of embodies the evolution of the genre today. It's no longer considered rock or pop or country. Singer songwriter rock (oft associated w/ folk) is about the closest that describes, but that's what it is: Songcraft by an artist or duo (as was the case w/ the Dan).

Thanks for the listen and the thoughts, bud.

Oddly, I'm hearing 80s Floyd, Grateful Dead and Coldplay, I don't know why.

Anyway, great work!
Because those are the times I was writing in? All influenced. Folks knock Coldplay as U2 wannabes, but when they were on, there's no parallel.

Thanks for the spin and the comment!

"It's hard to let things go"

Earbud listen. You can drop Tjarko's Black Magic bass part a couple dB when he's working the high fretboard - it'll be just as heard and more impressive.

You might consider reigning in the snare level on the quieter parts of 'Mona' - it doesn't need to cut through or punch during the gentle bits.

I'm glad I came back here and checked on how people have gotten on with their music. Lots are clearly better, and you're one, too. Makes me feel better in a time of one shit thing after another. Cheers, Kev.

BTW, this the best I've heard from you. Hands down. Great work.
Tjarko says "Fuck off" Paul. :D

God did he nail that part! Some of the best playing I've ever heard on any of my material. Last I hear from T, I bought a CD in the U.S. that he wanted that he couldn't get in The Netherlands, and shipped it to him. He also touched base through email when he completed his dirty mouthed CD that was brilliant.

I shared his CD w/ an old friend of mine from there and he went, "Do you KNOW WHAT HE'S SAYING?!" Lol ...

I will listen back w/ your thoughts in mind. "Unfit for Consumption" is my "Abbey Road" album of more disjointed song suites. I remixed the backside (what a lovely antiquated term that is) first and plan on attending to side one next week.

Nice to hear from you, bud. Thanks for the input, and hope all else is well!

I’m glad you’re getting the play this deserves. (On here anyway) ;)

I've been all around the internet and back again.

I once thought the internet would open opportunity. To a degree, it does.

I recognize I can't get the big promo machine behind an artist who has to go to physical therapy next week because his knees creak and a problem with a shoulder makes sleeping difficult.

The world turns. I'm okay with that. I know that my music is equivalent to the time that I wrote it - and may eventually - even should I pass - become "new" stuff to folks who like the sound of that age.

Music is very organic, particularly to the young.

We all know where we were when we heard what we were listening to. I launched into music trying to make a living, believing I was as good as the best of the best. That I made it nowhere was less accountable to the value of the material and more accountable to having a child and wife I was unwilling to take a risk of life over.

FWIW - my decisions paid off. I have a lovely modest coastal home on the Atlantic, that I'm currently mixing from.

Listened whilst reading through all the comments.
I'm not elderly, I've got electric guitars to keep me young.
The music was very nicey done.

I'm not going start a new thread ... but I remixed the frontside, and it's up.

It's as odd as the backside, but slightly more accessible.

It's a three song suite:

"Without Radio"
"Consumption"
"Final Daze"

"Consumption" (2nd song) was a challenge as I had to piece it together from audio snips. It was like a sonic jigsaw puzzle.

Lastly, I created a playlist where both can be spinned together from front to back. Truth told, in the original design concept, ALL the songs go back to back - and "Deeper" follows right after "Final Daze" - but I wasn't joshing about how I framed it as frontside and backside - because I WAS telling the story I aforementioned w/ the backside - and so in my own head, I separate the two.

IF folks find anything at all that strikes them whatsoever, please mention.

I'm currently remixing a lot of the material I created years ago.

Some of the folks playing on these pieces are now long gone. Such is life.

I suppose, in part, my continued efforts wish to create a sort of memorium for us all.

Of sorts, I suppose. I'm trying to work on leaving the best legacy of my music I can behind.

The funny thing is that when we all think we have time, what we lack is knowledge. After gaining knowledge, what goes lacking is time.

Of sorts, I suppose. I'm trying to work on leaving the best legacy of my music I can behind.

The funny thing is that when we all think we have time, what we lack is knowledge. After gaining knowledge, what goes lacking is time.
So very true

I like the frontside a lot as well, especially "Final Daze" - that's a foot stomper! Segue ways nicely into the backside material. Excellent work.

The standout for me is Deeper. I remember it from way back - when did you first release that one? The doom-laden piano is brilliant. I like all the sounds and spaces except the snare. It cuts through but it's not in the same space as the piano. I also remember Without Radio, another great track. My only observation on that one is the drums are very dry and up front which of course is where they belong :D but here they're closed in. Overall you seem to have mixed the vocals back a little. You're previous mixes were more poppy whereas this one is more rocky. I like it.
Great to have a collection this, see the vision through

The standout for me is Deeper. I remember it from way back - when did you first release that one? The doom-laden piano is brilliant. I like all the sounds and spaces except the snare. It cuts through but it's not in the same space as the piano. I also remember Without Radio, another great track. My only observation on that one is the drums are very dry and up front which of course is where they belong :D but here they're closed in. Overall you seem to have mixed the vocals back a little. You're previous mixes were more poppy whereas this one is more rocky. I like it.
Great to have a collection this, see the vision through

Thanks bud! These works hearken back to the late aughts, back when the contributing guitarist was still alive. He died from a massive stroke at the age of 48. He was the guitarist for my college band and I miss him still.

I find ALL my mix approaches have changed. I used to mix the vocals WAY more forward, and would dial down the bass tremendously. Now I live in your neck of the woods in that regard. I bring up the low end and damn the torpedoes. I remember some of your mixes that had so much low end going through it, it'd pop off my headphones. :D

I'm a huge fan.

I've gotten to the point where the vocals need to be clearly heard, but not at the expensive of the bed behind.

I hear ya on the drum comment. I had "space issues" myself on "Consumption" ... where the drummer was in a different room down the street from the rest of the group. I think I got that sorted out, but will revisit. As always, thank K!

I was remiss in not commenting on these. I hate commenting on stuff when all I have to judge is a crappy laptop speaker. A couple of days ago, while upstairs doing daily chores, I plugged the laptop into the stereo and cranked up the Backside. I ran the whole side. EXCELLENT work. I like the changes, the mix, the vocals. The only thing missing was the CD case, artwork and libretto! It's that good, certainly commercial grade.

It reminded me a bit some stuff that 10CC did back in the day, and in spots, reminded me of how BIlly Thorpe did the Children of the Sun album. Nobody does theme based albums anymore.

I'll give the Frontside a proper listen later today. I don't have time to get through the whole thing right now.

I was remiss in not commenting on these. I hate commenting on stuff when all I have to judge is a crappy laptop speaker. A couple of days ago, while upstairs doing daily chores, I plugged the laptop into the stereo and cranked up the Backside. I ran the whole side. EXCELLENT work. I like the changes, the mix, the vocals. The only thing missing was the CD case, artwork and libretto! It's that good, certainly commercial grade.

It reminded me a bit some stuff that 10CC did back in the day, and in spots, reminded me of how BIlly Thorpe did the Children of the Sun album. Nobody does theme based albums anymore.

I'll give the Frontside a proper listen later today. I don't have time to get through the whole thing right now.
Well - safe to say that I listen when Kiernan talks - so I went and remixed "Deeper" and tried to tighten the space a bit. There were some level issues which I heard listening to front side into backside.

The playlist link should work above still, but the original link to the backside will likely require this new one:

Back