It is FINE if you don't want to listen ... but I'd appreciate it nonetheless

K-dub

This is a big request. I took on a big project.

I tried to rewrite the backside of Abbey Road (in album model) in more of a life story continuance. The Beatles did it kind of "fractured sequence". I tried to piece an overarching life story thread to it.

"Deeper" is a song of new love and lust. Youth being youth. Heck a lot of folks take up music to attract the opposite sex. The problem? Sacrifices in life choices forced upon. (It gets Deeper as it goes).

"Black Magic" is next stage. It's the admittance that life choices in sacrifices create relationship consternation in life build.

"The American Dream Trilogy" walks life choices of settlement between love and the muse into choosing the muse. (Escape velocity from the humdrum)

"Mona" regrets following the muse.

Enjoy the journey, and thanks in advance for long listening. It's a half hour, so grab a cup of your favorite beverage.

Any/all comments warmly appreciated.

K-

Last edited:
Ok, I listened. Please keep your ego in check. But then again, I don’t know you. Your ego might need a boost. 😎

In a word.... Fucking Brilliant!

The talent here in all aspects is next level.

This has no business being the mp3 forum where people post to get critique and hopefully constructive criticism.

Everything on this piece is right, perfect, and as it should be to convey the intent of the music.

It is a must listen to from beginning to end.

Musicianship, arrangement, writing, production are all Grammy worthy.

Your vocals are very distinct and familiar yet uniquely different.

It’s all stuff that should be out in the real world, instead of being confined to the limited audience of a recording hobbyist forum.

Not trying to discount the great work others on the forum have done, but every once in a while something comes along that makes me say.... Damn!!! This is good!

Anyway, I loved it.

Ok, I listened. Please keep your ego in check. But then again, I don’t know you. Your ego might need a boost. 😎

In a word.... Fucking Brilliant!

The talent here in all aspects is next level.

This has no business being the mp3 forum where people post to get critique and hopefully constructive criticism.

Everything on this piece is right, perfect, and as it should be to convey the intent of the music.

It is a must listen to from beginning to end.

Musicianship, arrangement, writing, production are all Grammy worthy.

Your vocals are very distinct and familiar yet uniquely different.

It’s all stuff that should be out in the real world, instead of being confined to the limited audience of a recording hobbyist forum.

Not trying to discount the great work others on the forum have done, but every once in a while something comes along that makes me say.... Damn!!! This is good!

Anyway, I loved it.
I am so glad you did, and thanks for the kudos. Mostly it's me, but there's contributions from others who once inhabited these boards. Tjarko on bass on "Black Magic", Wayne laying the bass track on "Mona". Both were met here, and they sent their tracks via the internet. Others were "near field" contributors. Frank Basile performed the drums on the first two pieces. The second two are synth compilations I constructed. My son does guitar parts on "Deeper", along w/ my (sadly now deceased) guitarist from my college band.

The four pieces are meant to link to the larger life narrative. I once chased that muse, but I've been with my wife now for 43 years. I chose love. :D

Cool, I was going to ask about the participant’s

How long did that take to do

Quite the project

There's probably 100 man hours into each piece over the course of months each. That's kind of what's been fun about revisiting them. All the arrangement work is done, so all my concentration can be solely on the mix. I've added touches that weren't in the original pieces because one gets so fried by the time the arrangements are crafted that sometimes the slog is to just get the piece to a workable level. It's almost like you stop listening to it as a song ... which works against cohesion of the mix: because it becomes too precise and pedantic; and begin to lose sight of the larger picture while attempting to fix a cymbal hit. :D

Each of the new mixes took less than a couple hours each - even starting from faders down - largely because after all these years, I'm more adept at my process.

Reactions: RFR
Well, y’all did a great job. The whole thing is very cohesive and seamlessly put together.

I would imagine with the remote participants that was quite the feat. But the result is impressive.

I listened through it and it came across as one long song. Very similar in concept to a classical music album. You sit down brandy in hand and just listen.

What surprises me though, how come you and I are the only ones in this thread???

Excellent work K-Dub! The songwriting, the musicianship, very creative and entertaining. I listened on my laptop, so I can imagine just how much better it would sound on a proper sound system, but wow! Great job.

Because I have a great respect for RFR, I gave this a listen.
He undersold it !
Well they don’t know what they’re missing.
I do now !!
It is really good. If I was to play this for people and say, "Oh, by the way, this was done by a guy that's not a full time pro, who writes, arranges, plays, records and mixes for fun and posts it on a home recording website that has a bunch of middle aged to elderly contributors that spend a lot of time fighting over American politics", they'd think I was having them on !

Because I have a great respect for RFR, I gave this a listen.
He undersold it !

I do now !!
It is really good. If I was to play this for people and say, "Oh, by the way, this was done by a guy that's not a full time pro, who writes, arranges, plays, records and mixes for fun and posts it on a home recording website that has a bunch of middle aged to elderly contributors that spend a lot of time fighting over American politics", they'd think I was having them on !
That's probably one of the most accurate assessments I've come across of Home Rec.

Believe it or not, years ago it was 10x worse. So much so that a group who wanted a more polite engagement split off HR and started RecordingProject.com. The players on this were ones that migrated off HR over to RP.

Both sites now have less active participation than back in those days, but are WAY more civil than they once were.

That other site I just visited and it's a ghost town - two recent posts saying nothing was happening and then it went back a year!

I don;t mind being one of the ancient wonders here but I can't understand American politics - it seems completely confusing. Ours is bad, but oddly doesn't get added to things like forums, like US politics does. However - the British system is rather a mess by comparison. Our Prime Minister just got fined for going to a party during lockdown ignoring his own rule, and his defence was it was his birthday, and he didn't realise the cake, alcohol and singing was a party and not a business meeting. The Police disagreed and the politicians got fined. Today, he's had a great idea to deal with illegal immigration. When the people claiming asylum come ashore in the UK, after nearly drowning in the English Channel, they get put on a plane and taken against their will to Rwanda in Africa, because that is where the new immigration centre is. As illegal immigrants, their application for assylum will then be turned down and they can stay in Africa, or go back to where they came from. Nobody is too sure if this is a real system or just a thing that will put them off?

Perhaps the US could do a similar deal? We tried this over 100 years ago with Australia, and it sort of worked - our criminals got sent there and did quite well?

That other site I just visited and it's a ghost town - two recent posts saying nothing was happening and then it went back a year!

I don;t mind being one of the ancient wonders here but I can't understand American politics - it seems completely confusing. Ours is bad, but oddly doesn't get added to things like forums, like US politics does. However - the British system is rather a mess by comparison. Our Prime Minister just got fined for going to a party during lockdown ignoring his own rule, and his defence was it was his birthday, and he didn't realise the cake, alcohol and singing was a party and not a business meeting. The Police disagreed and the politicians got fined. Today, he's had a great idea to deal with illegal immigration. When the people claiming asylum come ashore in the UK, after nearly drowning in the English Channel, they get put on a plane and taken against their will to Rwanda in Africa, because that is where the new immigration centre is. As illegal immigrants, their application for assylum will then be turned down and they can stay in Africa, or go back to where they came from. Nobody is too sure if this is a real system or just a thing that will put them off?

Perhaps the US could do a similar deal? We tried this over 100 years ago with Australia, and it sort of worked - our criminals got sent there and did quite well?
RP is a bit of a ghost town ... but it's still kicking w/ a new upgrade.

I follow EU politics as well, and there is a HUGE immigration problem being faced down that the EU is not handling well. The NYT had a recent story about how Italy and Greece started attacking humanitarian volunteers because they thought that they were causing more refugee influxes. 2015 was evidently a crisis year for them, mostly from Syria and other middle east nations. Right wing pols spoke of "The Great Replacement" in the watering down of native populations. It's just fear mongering, but there's an unfortunate kernel of overwhelm driving it.

It's been an ongoing mess ever since, and I did read this morning about Johnson's Rwanda plan.

In the U.S. as well as UK (and other places), what it is is the corruption of money in politics. Public service has become self serving.

Reactions: TAE
So I've listened thru 5 times now and I think I am starting to get it. There are shades of Ben Folds, Steely Dan, George Harrison, but you still shine thru.
The bass is impeccable. Vocals outstanding. Guitar work reminds me of Steely Dan in places, especially where it does that auto-wah thing like on SDs My Old School. The drum sounds are great too as is the playing.
Very enjoyable listen.

Back