It appears that Glenn Frey bit the big one

Sad for him & family. I've been an antiEagles person since I was 1st exposed to their music, (everyone but me at teacher's college seemed to only have Eagles, Steely Dan, America & to some extend Supertramp cassettes - it was the 2nd 1/2 of the 70s), so don't have the sense of loss that a fan or softrock/countryrock person would feel..
I am a fan of Mott the Hoople and am saddened by Dale's death - but as he was suffering from dementia perhaps it was a + for him & his.
A bloke down the road, really nice fella, died a day or so ago. Much missed by everyone who knew him but he wasn't famous.

Maybe we should just start one thread called "Look who died today" and just post the daily tragedy there.

We also lost Dallas Taylor (drummer, Crosby, Stills & Nash)
Gary Loizzo (Singer, American Breed, Engineer Styx, Reo Speedwagon)
Dale Griffin (Drummer of Mott the Hoople)

Dallas Taylor died last year.

Sad for him & family. I've been an antiEagles person since I was 1st exposed to their music, (everyone but me at teacher's college seemed to only have Eagles, Steely Dan, America & to some extend Supertramp cassettes - it was the 2nd 1/2 of the 70s), so don't have the sense of loss that a fan or softrock/countryrock person would feel..

Yikes, you just described some of my favorite music. However, I don't listen to classic rock radio any longer because, those are just about the only groups that they play. I like them, but man they just over play the same stuff.

Maybe we should just start one thread called "Look who died today" and just post the daily tragedy there.

We also lost Dallas Taylor (drummer, Crosby, Stills & Nash)
Gary Loizzo (Singer, American Breed, Engineer Styx, Reo Speedwagon)
Dale Griffin (Drummer of Mott the Hoople)

That Dallas Taylor thing popped up in feeds yesterday because some stupid online paper published it again (he died 1/18/15)

Mic Gillette, horn player for Tower of Power died yesterday too.

Played a bunch of Eagles in my time - sort of a requisite in the bars. Their 5 part harmony was pretty cool on some songs (not easy though).
Yeah I had to learn the solo on Hotel - I have it somewhere on cassette from a basement recording.
Frey wasn't my favorite of the lot and I really hated playing "The Heat is On" - never liked the song..

What's wrong with Hotel? Overplayed?

Overplayed?
Yes.
I walked past a guys desk one day and he had the radio on.
HC was on at the guitar break and he began to hum it - well.
Now, this guy is not a musician.
But it struck me how well people know that song and pop music in general - if you're so inclined - bla bla.
It did impress upon me the need to better myself as a musician, seeing how the band actually did that song and I had the first guitar part.
I don't remember ever messing up that particular piece.:cool:
Now my buddy :guitar: (RIP):guitar:, he was notorious for, well, getting bored :yawn:, and some nights whoa, like a train off the rails.

I wish I sucked as bad as Glenn Frey. The Eagles just put out awesome pop music. F'in awesome.

Back