ISO Booth Window

JUSTTIGHT

I am building an iso booth and need some help on the window.
I have the control room already constructed. The iso booth is basically a room inside of another room, which leaves (2) 2x4 walls with a 6 inch gap between the to walls.
What is the best way to install the glass?
(1) 2 pieces of glass 1 on the outside of each wall
(2) 3 pieces of glass 1 on each side of the control room, and one one the inside of the iso booth.
or
(3) 4 piecies 1 on each side of each wall??

For all sound isolation, the rule is the same; mass, air, mass. Stop. The more mass, the wider air gap, the better seal, the better DAMPED the two masses, the better the isolation.

So for a window, you want two panes of glass as far apart as you can get them, and at least as heavy as the mass of your walls; if the walls are gypsum, then glass weighs roughly 3 times as much; so you want at least 1/3 as thick glass in each side as your total gypsum thickness for that same side.

It sounds to me like you've already built walls that are less than optimum; if you have two frames, each with gypsum on BOTH sides, then you have two masses too many. Check this out for clarification, look at the illustrations and STC ratings at the bottom -

http://www.domesticsoundproofing.co.uk/tloss.htm

Sorry, but that link is temporarily under construction, I just checked; Basically, your walls, depending on the distance between them, would have about 40 dB of isolation if you have wallboard on both sides of both frames; that would go up to about 63 dB if you were to take the two INNER masses away, and put them against the two OUTER masses instead - same amount of material, but wider air gap and mass concentrated in only TWO areas improves mass-air-mass performance by over 20 dB... Steve

The glass panels should be different thicknesses, and one of them angled a bit. Others probably can suggest how much of an angle, I chose 5 degrees off vertical just because it fit in the frame nicer.

To save construction aggrevation, I bought a double-pane argon filled insulated window, then a friend of mine made another frame that tightly fits inside the inside frame, with the angled glass. I haven't installed it yet, but all I have to do is run a bead of silicone around the edge of the frame he made, and push it in. It was the one thing I didn't want to make, I'm not fond of glasswork.

Thanx

Thsnks I was able to see an illustration on that site about walls and sound proofing. Not much on windows. Nevertheless K-Fly your input provided alot of useful info. Fred your info is appreciated also.
"I'm not a pro, I just act like one around my friends"
I knew it could have been done better. However I had to follow certain codes for converting a bonus room into two bedrooms. You know that whole resale thing. I wanted to have to only tear down one wall, & fill in the window whenever I sold it.
Again
Thanx

Back