Is this weird that I like mixing vocals like this?

cormac

Okay so a while ago I tried to get a vocal tone that sounds like Ash Bowie of Polvo and I stumbled upon a mixing technique that I really like (at least for my vocals):

Boosting around 50Hz and 5kHz about 8dB and attenuating around 200 and 2kHz about the same. Maybe a even a little more. Like -10dB. [I should also mention that I recorded it a foot away from my face in one of the empty rooms in my house thru a fucking sterling audio condenser]

It doesn't really sound anything like Polvo (I do really wanna try to figure that out though) but I like it a lot. It sounds weirdly thin but feels full in the mix in every song I've tried it on.

Thoughts? Anxiously awaitin' yr judgement, guys.

Okay so a while ago I tried to get a vocal tone that sounds like Ash Bowie of Polvo and I stumbled upon a mixing technique that I really like (at least for my vocals):

Boosting around 50Hz and 5kHz about 8dB and attenuating around 200 and 2kHz about the same. Maybe a even a little more. Like -10dB. [I should also mention that I recorded it a foot away from my face in one of the empty rooms in my house thru a fucking sterling audio condenser]

It doesn't really sound anything like Polvo (I do really wanna try to figure that out though) but I like it a lot. It sounds weirdly thin but feels full in the mix in every song I've tried it on.

Honestly, the mix calls for what the mix calls for. Vocals are going to sound different if you're recording yours, they'll sound different for mine, and they'll DEFINITELY sound different based on the mic you're using. Saying "I EQ it like this, is it a good trick?" isn't really a trick at all, much less something anyone else can use. So we won't really be able to give any thoughts or judgement unless you uploaded a track of your vocals without EQ and then one with your EQ settings.

As above. Use whatever you need to get the sound required. I rarely use EQ on vocals at all.

Like everyone has said, there is no formula, whatever works for the song and situation.

But, in my opinion, if you're boosting or cutting anything up to 10db, you might want to look at what you're doing during tracking. Those are pretty heavy cuts and boosts. But, hey, if it works for you, go for it. Also, you're boosting 50hz at 8db????? OK, man. if that works for you, then it works, I guess.

Everyone's said it; If it works it works.
I'd add one thing though.

Doing anything at 50hz is dangerous unless you know your monitoring system is telling you the truth.
A pal of mine pretty much mixed a whole album on hifi speakers then referenced it in a mastering suite.
He damn near blew the place to bits with 80hz and below because he couldn't hear it at home.

If you're boosting 8db at 50hz I guess there's a good chance you just aren't hearing it properly at your current setup.
Maybe not.

Post an mp3. Plenty of people around here have trusted setups.

I've looked at some of the previous posts and think I have a general idea of what this thread is about. So, that in mind I offer this. There is nothing more important to me than a good monitoring system. One that offers as many choices in as many different applications as possible. The better and more realistic you hear, the better and more realistic your mixes will be. I even use my TV and computer speakers in this process. Your system should keep in mind the eventual final placement of your mixes. Whether it's just for personal use or placement anywhere you want to excel at and if desired, get more work from.

I find that with this system in place, it makes decisions much easier and more informed as to adding or cutting anything.

Mixing may be a personal decision, artistic statement or an experimental exercise to learn from and enjoy. But in the end, it's "The Money", that will eventually make the final decision.

Mixing is a large and ever-changing equation, and I personally hate math. Even though I am good at it.

Evolution sucks. But without it we wouldn't be having these discussions,

Thanks for your time,
TC

Chances are your voice isn't actually producing any notes around 50 hz. Generally speaking the bass and kick drum are the only things that should be boosted that low. I always put a HPF on vocals, I am not saying this is a rule but i think that it would most likely make a lot more sense to roll off the lows than add them.

I tried to get a vocal tone that sounds like Ash Bowie of Polvo
I don't know the singer you're talking about, but could it be that you're trying to get a sound that your voice just doesn't make? I'm guessing that this guy has a lot of "bass" in his voice and you think you could just EQ that timbre into your voice, but it doesn't work that way.

Like I said, I'm just guessing and I might be way off.

If you need all that low end, you might as well just sing into the mic from .025 inches away. Even then, I doubt 50hz has much content. I often HP my vox to up around 80 or even higher, and never notice it a mix.

Most bass singers don't go any lower than E2, which is the low E on a guitar (82 hz appx). Some bass singers may go down to C2, but that is very rare, and certainly virtually unheard of outside of classical/musical theatre.

So yeah, I would just imagining boosting that low would just add noise, especially with that much boost. So yes, it is weird.

Yeah, I guess replaying to a topic with opinions that were asked for is called getting all "worked up".

Yup, it's real CHAOS in here. :D

everyone's just so quick to correct it seems.

i sometimes EQ my voice to give it a different timbre or accentuate, in extremes sometimes, a certain aspect of my voice. it's fun for me. and i like noise, though it's never really been a problem when i've done this. and even if it was i sure as shit haven't minded it.

i see absolutely nothing wrong with doing things in mixing that people say you shouldn't do or don't make sense.

Your neighbor in sweatpants,
Camroc

-----------------------------------------------------------

you guys like Polvo??

you guys like noise rock??

i sometimes EQ my voice to give it a different timbre or accentuate, in extremes sometimes, a certain aspect of my voice. it's fun for me. and i like noise, though it's never really been a problem when i've done this. and even if it was i sure as shit haven't minded it.

i see absolutely nothing wrong with doing things in mixing that people say you shouldn't do or don't make sense.
Then why'd you ask in the first place? You asked and people answered. Take it or leave it, but don't whine about it.

Just do what you do, man. I'm sure it's awesome noise.

glad i could get you guys all worked up about such an arbitrary topic.

keep spewing.
No one was worked up. People gave their views. You asked for them. No one criticized you or called you names or said you were stupid or said what you like doing couldn't work. I can't see what your problem is.

No one said "don't do it". The general consensus was if it's effective for you, go for it. Some found it weird but that's the title of the thread. It would be weird if the question was "Is this weird that I like mixing vocals like this?" and the replies were "Yes, it is potatoes".

You asked for thoughts not a singular, agreeing, kowtow.
You said you anxiously awaited our judgement, you didn't say you anxiously awaited one unifying judgement. You should be sensible enough to know if you ask 50 different people for their thoughts on a topic, you'll get a variety of thoughts and some of it won't be in lavish praise of your own.
So if anyone is to be held culpable for any folly in this thread, it's the one that started it and then didn't like what they heard.
If all you want is unreserved agreement and validation of any position you hold, talk to yourself.
It works wonders and you're never wrong !

Back