Is this SCARY music or NOT music at all? Mix and all other opinions please!

Accepting any old sound you come across as "music" is chickenshit. I don't accept one guy whacking one drum as music. If you do, then you need to raise your standards a bit. If someone tells you their noise is music, and you blindly buy into it, you are gullible. It's okay to be skeptical. It's okay to say, "you know, that sucks." It's okay to not buy into whatever "art" is put in front of you.

As I said already, this is a very nice recording of sound. It ain't music to me. There's nothing musical about it. Don't try to tell me otherwise.

This coming from a guy who thinks Kiss and The Ramones are the greatest bands of all time. :rolleyes:

There are other chord progressions then I IV V and rhythms beyond 4/4. Composition isn't just the notes you play, it's also the notes you don't play.

This coming from a guy who thinks Kiss and The Ramones are the greatest bands of all time. :rolleyes:

There are other chord progressions then I IV V and rhythms beyond 4/4. Composition isn't just the notes you play, it's also the notes you don't play.

Okay thanks for the heads up Mozart. :rolleyes:

Kiss' 1st 3 LPs & the Ramones 1st 6 = BLISS.
Mozzieart, similarly, had a hit & miss or two across his career.
It's how Peter & Tommy punctuated the 4/4 that makes it special.

Scary?? no

Sophomoric?? yes.

chazba

:confused: Hmmm, Sophomoric eh? That's a very unusual word and I must admit that I had to look it up in various internet and printed dictionaries, as I've never come across it in the real world before.

The thing is that it appears to have a few possible different meanings and can be applied in different ways, so would you mind explaining how you meant this with regard to my music (or 'sounds', if you prefer), possibly as much for others as well as for myself.

:rolleyes: Without a proper and more easily understood explanation it appears, to me at any rate, that you may have been 'Sophomoric' yourself in the use of such a word.

More details please chazba,
dreamer7:D

Been reading the posts and don't understand what all the hubbub is about. As stated it's a experimental piece. Maybe an acquired taste. I'm sure Tangerine Dream did a few of these kind of things in their time and people thought they were... nuts?

I think I understand what you're trying to do, and get the musical aspect of it. As to being scary, no, I don't sense that. Maybe a feeling of falling into a abyss that there is no way get out of. Maybe that is what it's all about. Finding or sensing something within the noise or music or what ever you want to call it.

I too am surprised by the intensity of the debate going on here, but I am enjoying it nonetheless!

I guess ultimately I don't care (nor would I if I was the creator of this piece) whether it was defined as music or not. I still believe that it is. And whatever it is, I think it was well done. I don't get the comparison between this and recording random sounds occuring around you (traffic, toilets, etc.). To me, this sounds like it was very deliberately constructed.

I think michaelwookey hit it right on the head when he mentioned 2001. That is exactly what I thought of when I first heard this. It sounds like the soundtrack to a scene where a ship is entering some kind of foreboding nebula or something. Maybe not scary, but certainly ominous.

I'm pretty sure that if I dropped a couple of tabs, turned out the lights and listened to this while staring at the fuzz on channel 2, I could travel through time or something...hmmm...maybe then I could go back and not cover that journey song...

Accepting any old sound you come across as "music" is chickenshit. I don't accept one guy whacking one drum as music. If you do, then you need to raise your standards a bit. If someone tells you their noise is music, and you blindly buy into it, you are gullible. It's okay to be skeptical. It's okay to say, "you know, that sucks." It's okay to not buy into whatever "art" is put in front of you.

As I said already, this is a very nice recording of sound. It ain't music to me. There's nothing musical about it. Don't try to tell me otherwise.

If it's intended as music. It is. Where do you exactly draw the line, if there are more than 12 drum hits? If the drum hits are in a constant meter/bpm?

Btw.. not all music is...good music. Just becauase you think something sucks, doesn't change it from being music to not music. Oh...isn't chickenshit a term normally referring to a person, not an idea?

Any old sounds CAN be music, but is not necessarily...It is, when it's made into music. Music is manipulating natural sounds into something that creates emotion... The only difference with this, is it doesn't have a happy easy to understand western music structure that you'll have such an easy time understanding and whistling to in your SUV, on your way to the wal-mart.

Back