Is this cheap rack any good?

beaverbiscuit said:
Musician's Friend has this Axman MS-400 8-space rack that runs for $20. Here's a link if you want to see what it looks like:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/0?pid=450238&rsrc=00631

I'm just wondering if it will do the job for someone with only a few items that need a home. Anyone using this one, or something similar, in their own home setup?

btw, had to redo the link 3 times before I got it right, but it works now :rolleyes:.

If you're not taking it on the road, you should be fine. I wouldn't trust it for gigging, though...

I got it. It really is fine for home stuff. The one I bought didnt have rubber feet on it, but I set it on a small chunk of rubber material and it was fine. These are very, very flimsy before you put stuff into them, but afterwards they are great. I had two Carvin PA amps (about 40 lbs) a DBX 266xl and a DOD EQ. It was sufficient.

Pete

If you're planning on putting it on a table and not racking gear
that emits considerable amount of heat it is useable.
Basically good for lite-weight comps, dsps and sound modules!

You guys rock!

griffinator —
Definitely not planning on road use. I don't think I even remember what the road is :rolleyes:.

battleminnow —
Thanks for the tip on the rubber feet. I actually have the leftovers of a package of rubber feet (bought 'em to replace the crappy ones on my used Delta 66) that I may use. Great idea.

Krakit —
Man, thanks for the link. That may be mo' better for the extra $10; I'll have to do some thinking and deciding :) .

Craig —
You're referring to Krakit's rack, no? Just want to be clear on that.

Q —
I think it's safe to say that the little bit of rack-mountable gear I have is low intensity. I have an old Digitech DSP-128, and I'm planning on getting a couple of power conditioners and maybe a good used 31-band graphic eq, but that's about it. Oh, and my new (used) Furman patch bay courtesy of sonusman! If I can find and dig on one of those Boss SE-70s CyanJaguar has been touting, it would go in there as well. But its attendance is NOT mandatory!

Thanks for the replies, one and all. Y'all are the best :D.

I have the same 12 space rack Krakit linked to....it does fine.....i have right now a Hafler amp, behringer compressor, and 2 trays that have 3 pramps on....very very stable.....

If you REALLY wanna fly cheap,you can get a pair of rack rails and just make a "box" out of it by bolting the gear onto them.I bought two 8 space rails a couple months ago for $14+tax and I've got a compressor,anA/D converter,a mic pre,and a patch bay in there.I actually like it better than a rack for these particular pieces,'cause I have no obstructions to get behind or over the gear,but it's never leaving my room for obvious reasons.

Hey virtual.ray, I don't think I completely understand what you're describing. I get the part about the rails and attaching the gear to them, but how is the structure supported? I'm probably missing something obvious, but this morning I feel like I have an oil spill in my brain pan :rolleyes:.

C'mon, Q, it's a combination of an English "pram" (stroller to us Yanks) and an American "pimp" — so it's a mobile flesh peddler, or a vehicle for said dealer :p.

Krakit said:
This is the rack that I use <click me>
I am very happy with it. In fact, I'm about to buy another one.
I do use it on the road, but I am VERY VERY VERY careful when I do.
Carl
Yeah, I've got that rack too. I don't use it any more. It's in the closet, somewhere, I thiink. It's an alright rack, I just don't have any use for it since I reconfigured my layout.
(Post # 500!)

Back