Is there life beyond earth.......Astrobiology

Maybe there is life - whether they can travel through space is another question - and whether they would visit us is another question.
The biggy here if we come to know with absolute certainty that life exist even in the most microscopic of forms somewhere out there, it is an incredible paradigm shift in current thinking of our place and space in this cosmos. Many religions will have to rewrite or manipulate their current creation stories to fit the new science.

With regard to "alien" visitors to this planet, I am of the belief (it's just my gut feeling I can't prove it, I just have experienced it) that the material world as we know it is just that. As we go about breathing air in these bodies of ours we are trapped within a dimension we call space and time. I believe whole heartedly there are other dimensions right here in the now that we can't see or be aware of. We can't experience them because we are in a dimensional prison. Take some shrooms / deep meditation and you are able to get a peek but still not be able to get out there. I have no proof but suspect the energy within us...our life force is able to cross into dimensions we in our material form can not. As such traveling billions, trillions of matter miles can be done in a millisecond. Just conjecture, not science based hope of what this unknown dimension may be like.

Many religions will have to rewrite or manipulate their current creation stories to fit the new science.
If you are talking about Christianity Old/New Testament? I have read the Bible page one to end at least 9 times, maybe I didn't read it carefully enough, but I didn't read anything that stated that we were the only ones. As I read it again, I will be on the look out for something along that topic. Maybe it is implied and I didn't get that either.

The biggy here if we come to know with absolute certainty that life exist even in the most microscopic of forms somewhere out there, it is an incredible paradigm shift in current thinking of our place and space in this cosmos. Many religions will have to rewrite or manipulate their current creation stories to fit the new science.

With regard to "alien" visitors to this planet, I am of the belief (it's just my gut feeling I can't prove it, I just have experienced it) that the material world as we know it is just that. As we go about breathing air in these bodies of ours we are trapped within a dimension we call space and time. I believe whole heartedly there are other dimensions right here in the now that we can't see or be aware of. We can't experience them because we are in a dimensional prison. Take some shrooms / deep meditation and you are able to get a peek but still not be able to get out there. I have no proof but suspect the energy within us...our life force is able to cross into dimensions we in our material form can not. As such traveling billions, trillions of matter miles can be done in a millisecond. Just conjecture, not science based hope of what this unknown dimension may be like.
Re: religion - yes, many are adamant that the Earth is unique in all the universe - if so much as a microbe were to be found elsewhere or to come from elsewhere it will jam a monkey wrench into things for them.

I would assume we'd have to depend on discovery of life on some piece of space debris after verifying that it didn't get transferred from within Earth's atmosphere. We lack the ability to explore even the closest planets outside of our own solar system due to the immense distances.

I'm an adamant atheist but admittedly the question of how life originated via abiogenesis is a sticky one. No one has been able to reproduce it so far. Then the question of how did it get from the simplest forms to vastly more complex forms. Think of the immense complexity of a human or even lower animals - the fact that anatomy grows the way it does with bones, marrow, cartilage at the joints, the spinal column, connective tissue, muscles, the vast network of nerves, the cardiovascular/circulatory system and various fluids within your body - saliva, mucous membranes, lubrication for your eyes, the balance of chemicals and hormones, the digestive system, the function of senses - and the nuances of what they can perceive - that you can generally tell where a sound is coming from in relation to your position even though you've just got two ears, DNA/RNA, and on and on - and that it's largely self-repairing, that one can become stronger and more skilled by challenging the body to work against greater stresses and repetitive practice, that your brain is structured in a way to control/process a lot of it along with immense storage capacity and other functions the brain is capable of - and that the blueprint for *all* of it is contained within the sperm and egg, including the capacity to participate in procreation yourself.

It's interesting how many commonalities we share with lower animals, and that there are things they can do that we can't. It's amazing that not only did life forms appear and evolve but the environment that provides sustenance also had to evolve as well.

To date human scientists can tell you what an amoeba is made of but they can't replicate an amoeba from scratch.

How did this all originate from the stuff of early Earth. Seems mind-boggling, yet there's evidence that suggests that's what happened.

Reactions: TAE
Re: religion - yes, many are adamant that the Earth is unique in all the universe - if so much as a microbe were to be found elsewhere or to come from elsewhere it will jam a monkey wrench into things for them.
I think it is unique. That is not to say there isn't other life forms of assorted variations. But there isn't another earth like we know. (IMO)

Many religions will have to rewrite or manipulate their current creation stories to fit the new science.

So - who cares what they think or do - most will adapt to what becomes the new reality.
Maybe - the thing is we have neither developed the resources nor the where with all to see beyond our simple space - it would seem that a God who could create the universe would probably have more fun that just duplicating the one reality - but who knows - maybe they are different races of people from different parts of the multiverse - an at some point we all coalesce unto ourselves - so Papanate in Universe 1 bonds to Papanates 2 - 220 billion in other universes to be one heck a sentient being.

Not many people take into account that when it comes to sentient life forms someone has to be first. We could easily be alone in that regard. That would make blowing it even that more ironic.

Not many people take into account that when it comes to sentient life forms someone has to be first. We could easily be alone in that regard. That would make blowing it even that more ironic.
If I am remembering correctly kind of what you were implying previously.... there is no beginning or end, there is just NOW.

We are stardust, we are golden
We are billion-year-old carbon
And we got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

If you are talking about Christianity Old/New Testament? I have read the Bible page one to end at least 9 times, maybe I didn't read it carefully enough, but I didn't read anything that stated that we were the only ones. As I read it again, I will be on the look out for something along that topic. Maybe it is implied and I didn't get that either.
Genesis tells us that God made the stars and heavens in 7 really long days There is no mention of him populating any other planets with creatures in his own image but it is true it doesn't say he didn't. It's a pretty myopic story of how the universe, earth and the creatures on earth came to be. Doesn't jive with the science of today but folks defending it conjure up some good explanations of why it works and fits if you want to drink the Kool-aid.

God said...... really? Really!

I wish he'd come by and say hi to the world personally every now and then.. Ya know just to let us know he's legit n all! I mean I know he's got his hands full with a gazillion other planets but it seems only coming by and letting us know he's real every thousand years and then only letting one or two special people know and expect them to sell it to everyone else does seem like a strange way to lead his people. I mean he's God. With the internet he could just do a podcast or youtube video and lay out what he expects from us and what's coming up when we check out. While he's at it, with a wave of the hand turn all the bad people into earth worms to do something worthwhile with their existence.

What goes around comes around . . .

tnvyh.jpg

I think it is unique. That is not to say there isn't other life forms of assorted variations. But there isn't another earth like we know. (IMO)
~shrug~ It's a safe assertion to make that no one can provide real evidence to refute until and unless a way is discovered to travel a lot faster than we can now to make exploring even the closest exoplanets theorized to be "Earth-like" possible.

The universe is a big place - even the vastness we can detect might be just a sand grain in the total universe. We can't even make anything more than a speculative wild guess as to how many planets there are in just our galaxy let alone any kind of definitive statement as to how many could support the kind of life we know. And the kind of life we know might not be the only kind possible.

~shrug~ It's a safe assertion to make that no one can provide real evidence to refute until and unless a way is discovered to travel a lot faster than we can now to make exploring even the closest exoplanets theorized to be "Earth-like" possible.

The universe is a big place - even the vastness we can detect might be just a sand grain in the total universe. We can't even make anything more than a speculative wild guess as to how many planets there are in just our galaxy let alone any kind of definitive statement as to how many could support the kind of life we know. And the kind of life we know might not be the only kind possible.
Last summer while we were at beach to help my two of my older grand kids get a visual grasp of the grand scale of things with regards to our little planet and what else is out there, I picked up a grain of sand. I told them OK you know our solar system and the 9 planets that revolve around our sun ( quickly corrected that Pluto is not a planet) Think of this grain of sand as our solar system. You understand how vast it is how big it is right? Yes. Ok so get this, there are almost 4000 solar system just here on our galaxy called the Milky Way. OK. Within what is currently viewable in our Universe it is estimated there are over 4 billion galaxies! Wow! Then I took the grain of sand and threw it out on the beach and told them...it's hard to imagine a million, it's impossible to imagine a billion but that grain of sand I just tossed, as far as you can see up and down the beach is the rest of the viewable universe and it goes far beyond that. That's some wide open spaces. Our solar system is just a tiny spec of sand in the grand scheme of things

Last summer while we were at beach to help my two of my older grand kids get a visual grasp of the grand scale of things with regards to our little planet and what else is out there, I picked up a grain of sand. I told them OK you know our solar system and the 9 planets that revolve around our sun ( quickly corrected that Pluto is not a planet) Think of this grain of sand as our solar system. You understand how vast it is how big it is right? Yes. Ok so get this, there are almost 4000 solar system just here on our galaxy called the Milky Way. OK. Within what is currently viewable in our Universe it is estimated there are over 4 billion galaxies! Wow! Then I took the grain of sand and threw it out on the beach and told them...it's hard to imagine a million, it's impossible to imagine a billion but that grain of sand I just tossed, as far as you can see up and down the beach is the rest of the viewable universe and it goes far beyond that. That's some wide open spaces. Our solar system is just a tiny spec of sand in the grand scheme of things
Last I looked they flopped back and forth regarding poor Pluto. They can't even decide how planets there are in our solar system let one how many in the galaxy - lol. :LOL:

However I have to point out - unless you made a typo you owe your grandkids another correction - way, way more than 4000 solar systems in the Milky Way. That might be an approximate number of identified solar systems but from what I find the estimates of the number of stars is in the hundreds of billions with some significant number of them presumed to have a planetary system.

Hey I got that info off the internets!

Yeah definitely billions of stars but if the data I read was correct so far just under 4000 "Solar Systems" with multiple planets circling them

Last edited:
You already have that! You post here every day. That's proof enough that you are alive.

The original question remains: "Is there life beyond Earth?"

No one among us, here on Earth, regardless of the the telescopes we launch outside of our atmosphere on Earth, such as the James Webb telescope merely provides the scientists among us a glimpse into the past of events that happened millions or billions years ago, given the speed of light.

It truly amazing that with or without the aid of telescopes, whenever we cast our eyes into a night sky....we are seeing what once was in the universe.

I do believe that there are lifeforms outside of Earth, but I don't want to go all in like Fox Mulder.
It's a joke son.

OK, if science is correct and we are just a coincidence, you would have to assume that the same random formula was used somewhere else. Otherwise, you have to believe in intelligent creation.

Genesis tells us that God made the stars and heavens in 7 really long days There is no mention of him populating any other planets with creatures in his own image but it is true it doesn't say he didn't. It's a pretty myopic story of how the universe, earth and the creatures on earth came to be. Doesn't jive with the science of today but folks defending it conjure up some good explanations of why it works and fits if you want to drink the Kool-aid.

God said...... really? Really!

I wish he'd come by and say hi to the world personally every now and then.. Ya know just to let us know he's legit n all! I mean I know he's got his hands full with a gazillion other planets but it seems only coming by and letting us know he's real every thousand years and then only letting one or two special people know and expect them to sell it to everyone else does seem like a strange way to lead his people. I mean he's God. With the internet he could just do a podcast or youtube video and lay out what he expects from us and what's coming up when we check out. While he's at it, with a wave of the hand turn all the bad people into earth worms to do something worthwhile with their existence.
I am of the mindset that the Bible isn't trying to explain anything but the meaning of our life. It has a pretty narrow focus. When it does talk about the heavens and the stars, it is in relationship to us to them, not them to us.

If you read that book with an open mind, it is a great read. "Vanity, vanity, all is vanity." Which is exactly what we are discussing here.

I am of the mindset that the Bible isn't trying to explain anything but the meaning of our life. It has a pretty narrow focus.
Narrow focus is not a phrase I would use to describe the Bible. Likewise IMO it definitely goes far beyond the meaning of life.

Though I have a rock solid Catholic background, by the time I was 18 I had concluded that I totally believed in a power greater than myself that my people called God. But for sure in my heart I knew that we didn't have an exclusive on this entity and just because people chose a different door in the Heavenly "let's make a deal" game show. They wouldn't get to go where I think I am going to get to go. I called bullshit. I believe every living thing here and beyond is part of the one. If we are lucky enough sometimes we can get a glimpse of being one with the one. Once in mass a priest eluded that St. John had said this. "The purest form of prayer is not with words but rather to "gaze" into God". He said to the congregation some of you may be able to do this , some may not, It is a form of meditation. And with that I stared up at that cross and gazed into God and suddenly I felt all warm n fuzzy inside.....no words just a feeling of intense warm love. I do it and feel it often, when I see a fresh newborn baby, a flower, a blade of grass, a precious young child of any color, someone on their death bed. I could go on and on. I believe we are all unexplainable miracles in motion.

We are all given different gifts and levels of consciousness. Religions are a way to help those who need a guide into their purpose and way of life. '
They are all from the one. These religions get screwed up when members start rooting for them like they are football teams going for the win..
Well that and the greed and money thing...I have a dislike for billions of dollars being spent of unnecessary huge structures and cathedrals when there are starving homeless people walking the streets. That big grass field on the mount worked just fine for Jesus. And he didn't have his disciples pass the basket for donations.

Ok enough of my rant.....It's a great book with a lot of great examples of what is evil, what is good and the history of our people going thousands of years, back. It's a spiritual tool but IMO not the one and only. We came into this world without it and we will go out the same way. What we do while we're here is up to each individual. We have freewill. freedom of choice. For every action there is a opposite and equal reaction. I suspect by observation here in the now that how we choose to act in this experience will surely have an exponential effect on our next experience / chapter of being. Whatever that may be. Am I certain? No but that warm fuzzy "love" feeling leads me to think so.

Narrow focus is not a phrase I would use to describe the Bible. Likewise IMO it definitely goes far beyond the meaning of life.
I am a simple person, but I will say this. Beyond the meaning of life still contributes to my life (I can only speak about myself). I think it is not really a question of how self centered we are, but how that selfishness is used. Example, it is better to give than receive. OK, but it is still "better" for us.

It is really playing mind games with yourself and determining the rules of your game. I have my rules, you have your rules, everyone has their rules, we try and adjust as a society so we can co-exist. But each person is playing by their rules.

I know that is a lot of "no answer" there, but that is the way I see it. "I am" is the foundation of the person, which is the beginning to the meaning of life. I learned that from "The Book". Then pivot from that. Complex in execution, simple in approach.

Back