Is the MXL v67 similar to the SP C1?

DJL said:
Yeah, the V67 is closer to being flatter and the C1 is brighter sounding.

I'd agree with that. A closer comparison to the C1 is the V93 which also has HP and Pad. The V93 sells for around $150 and I think it's the best of the three mics. I have a C1 and the only thing I really like it on is electric guitar cabs and some acoustic parts where I want a more colored sound.

TexRoadkill said:
I'd agree with that. A closer comparison to the C1 is the V93 which also has HP and Pad. The V93 sells for around $150 and I think it's the best of the three mics. I have a C1 and the only thing I really like it on is electric guitar cabs and some acoustic parts where I want a more colored sound.

I don't have an MXL2003... but, from what I've read... it's comparable with the SP C1 as far as brightness goes.

Since this thread is likely to attract folks who use these two mics, I like to ask a question.

I own;
Shure KSM32
Rode NT1000
Oktava MK319
Studio Projects B1
MXL 603 X 2
Shure SM58 X 4

If you were going to add one of these two mics to this collection, which would it be, The C1 or the V67G.

Thanks, Terry

still4given said:
Since this thread is likely to attract folks who use these two mics, I like to ask a question.

I own;
Shure KSM32
Rode NT1000
Oktava MK319
Studio Projects B1
MXL 603 X 2
Shure SM58 X 4

If you were going to add one of these two mics to this collection, which would it be, The C1 or the V67G.

Thanks, Terry

First I'd replace 3 of your SM58's with SM57's, and add a MD421. The MXL603S's are bright sounding mic's, so I'd add a pair of MC-012's. The LDC... I've never used the NT1000 so I can't comment. The V67 is colser to being flatter than the C1 and the C1 is brighter sounding than the V67. Your MK319 is a drak sounding mic, and your KSM32 is pretty flat, and your B1 has a bumped up mid-high so it's on the brighter sounding side. So with that said you could add either the V67 or C1 to your collection and it's really up to you. Even tho I prefer the V67 over the C1... I would add the C1 to your collection, because the KSM32 pretty much covers your flat LDC mic, and IMO the B1 sucks on vocals... so I'd add the C1.

Last edited:
DJL said:
First I'd replace 3 of your SM58's with SM57's, and add a MD421. The MXL603S's are bright sounding mic's, so I'd add a pair of MC-012's. The LDC... I've never used the NT1000 so I can't comment. The V67 is colser to being flatter than the C1 and the C1 is brighter sounding than the V67. Your MK319 is a drak sounding mic, and your KSM32 is pretty flat, and your B1 has a bumped up mid-high so it's on the brighter sounding side. So with that said you could add either the V67 or C1 to your collection and it's really up to you. Even tho I prefer the V67 over the C1... I would add the C1 to your collection, because the KSM32 pretty much covers your flat LDC mic, and IMO the B1 sucks on vocals... so I'd add the C1.

Thanks for the reply. First off ther is no replacing the SM58's with SM57"s. I already own these mics and use them for live stuff. I only listed them as an alternative because they are there. I have had good luck using them as 57's by removing the "ball". I wouldn't mind having some SM57's but since I have the 58's I'm really looking at other mics right now.
The NT1000 is fairly flat but has what sounds to me like a slight boost in the highs which adds some snap and air. I really like it for the right things. It's a very pleasant sounding mic to my ears.
It's ironic that you don't like the B1 on vocals. On my voice, it is one of my favorites. I bought the KSM32 because so many folks I know raved about it. If you put on headphones and speak into it, it sounds lovely, but eveytime I've tried to use it for vocals, there is just something in there that I can't seem fix. I rarely pull it out anymore. Do you think the V67G, sounds a lot like the KSM32?
Maybe I shold think about getting MD421. That is something I don't have covered. Only trouble is, I don't have the dough for a 421 right now but do for the C1 or V67.

Thanks again, DJL.

Any other folks have some experience with these mics. I would love to hear some more opinions.

Thanks, Terry

Hey Still4given, (nice user name, by the way!)

If you already have the NT1000 and feel it's a bit bright, I would definitely get the 67.

I have the 67 and have used the C1 (and I own the B1). The 67 to my ear has more body than the C1, which is a touch brighter, but not by much. At least, in my little room thru my M-Audio converters, monitors, etc.

Good luck!

Fab

DJL said:
The MXL603S's are bright sounding mic's, so I'd add a pair of MC-012's.
I don't know if it's because of differences in mics or differences in ears, but my 012'S are brighter and clearer than my 603s. I have acoustic guitar clips that exhibit this phenomena if I could ever get around to posting them.

Between the C1 and the v67, I'd go with the C1. Either are good/decent budget mics. But your collection is missing a "scooped" vocal mic. The C1 fits this bill to the T. I have both the C1 and V67 and like them both for different reasons, but you have mics that already do what the V67 is meant to do... behave somewhat flat (B1, KSM32). You don't yet have a mic that does what the C1 does.

My $0.02

still4given said:
Thanks for the reply. First off ther is no replacing the SM58's with SM57"s. I already own these mics and use them for live stuff. I only listed them as an alternative because they are there. I have had good luck using them as 57's by removing the "ball". I wouldn't mind having some SM57's but since I have the 58's I'm really looking at other mics right now.[/B]

Yeah, that works ok until a drummer smacks it with a drum stick or something.

It's ironic that you don't like the B1 on vocals. On my voice, it is one of my favorites.

I don't think "ironic" was a good choice of words... but, whatever.

I bought the KSM32 because so many folks I know raved about it. If you put on headphones and speak into it, it sounds lovely, but eveytime I've tried to use it for vocals, there is just something in there that I can't seem fix. I rarely pull it out anymore. Do you think the V67G, sounds a lot like the KSM32?

No

Maybe I shold think about getting MD421. That is something I don't have covered. Only trouble is, I don't have the dough for a 421 right now but do for the C1 or V67.

Thanks again, DJL.

Your Welcome.

Flatpicker said:
I don't know if it's because of differences in mics or differences in ears, but my 012'S are brighter and clearer than my 603s. I have acoustic guitar clips that exhibit this phenomena if I could ever get around to posting them.

I've never really AB-ed my MXL603S and MC-012's but I don't really like the MXL603S's as overheads because of the cymabals... but, I do like the MC-012's as overheads... and I like the 603S's on acoustic guitar more than the MC-012's because they seem to really nail the high end more than the MC-012's.

Originally posted by DJL The KSM32 is a pretty flat sounding mic... but, the B1 is NOT a flat sounding mic... it has a bumped up top end.

Which is why I used the qualifier "somewhat"

Rev E said:
Which is why I used the qualifier "somewhat"
No problem... however, there is an incorrect rumor going around on the internet forums that the Studio Projects B1 is a flat or neutral type sounding mic and I just wanted to point out that the B1 is NOT a flat or neutral sounding type mic to the newbee's that may read this thread.

DJL said:
No problem... however, there is an incorrect rumor going around on the internet forums that the Studio Projects B1 is a flat or neutral type sounding mic and I just wanted to point out that the B1 is NOT a flat or neutral sounding type mic to the newbee's that may read this thread.

Much of the B1 talk about being somewhat neutral is in direct comparison to the C1, a noticeably brighter mic than the B1. Bottom line, the B1 can be used in many situations where people would use more neutral sounding mics in comparison to the "scooped mids" variety (e.g. male vocals, overheads, guitar cabs, room mic for drums, etc...) That's what I was getting at ... but I'm sure you wouldn't let that stop you.:rolleyes:

Back