Is the MXL v67 similar to the SP C1?

werewolf831

After reading a bunch of posts, I think I've narrowed my mic search down to these two. Concidentally, I'm thinking these are very similar sounding mics! I don't need two of the same mics. Anyone one know? Gidge???
later,
Werewolf

Yeah, the C1 and V67 are pretty close... except the V67 is closer to being flatter and the C1 is brighter sounding.

Ive only heard them both on one mic pre and they sounded pretty much the same to me, but i dont have the ears like some of these guys here.....

what I have heard is that on different preamps they can react differently based on design differences....theres a thread somewhere where Harvey compared the 2 if you can dig it up.......

Thanks fellas. BTW, I'll be using it with Mackie XDR pre's.

I'm sure I can find that Harvey post. I've mastered the art of digging up old threads, mwahaha!!!!!

Harvey said the two sound pretty close to each other and also agreed that the C1 was a tad brighter sounding than the V67... he also said that if you have one you don't really need the other. With that said... the V67 cost less.

"OK, first impressions Marshall MXL-V67G vs. Sound Projects C1

Bottom line; the'yre pretty damn close to each other in sound. The Sound Projects C1 is a little hotter (about 2 dB more output), and a little quieter (again, by about 2 dB). Overall, the frequency response is very similar, with maybe a -1dB shelf around 800 to 1,000 Hz on the Sound Projects C1. The Marshall MXL-V67G sounds slightly fuller, but again by a very small amount.

So, is there a clear-cut winner? Nope, they're both really nice mics that will do a pretty good job for vocals where you're looking for a full bodied, rich vocal sound. They're both retailing at around $300 with a street price of right around $200. The Sound Projects C1 is heavier and looks like the Brauner VM-1 mic while the Marshall MXL-V67G has a distinctive AKG C12VR look and is not quite as rugged.

They're both pretty good values for the money.

One warning before you run out and plunk your money down on a C1:

This is only a preliminary test. I've only heard this one mic so far. Quality control and consistency are big problems with Chinese and Russian microphones. I'm going to surprise Alan Hyatt Monday and ask him to send me another set of the mics to see how close they all match each other. I know the Marshall MXL-V67Gs are consistent, but I can't guarantee that's also true of the Sound Projects C1 - al least, not yet.

If you have $200 burning a hole in your pocket and you can't wait to run out and buy the C1, you probably won't go too far wrong, but I can't give it a sweeping endorsment, until I'm certain that your C1 will sound the same as the C1 I just listened to.

But so far, it "looks" like it's gonna be another winner in the low cost, big mic race."

that was a quote from Harvey Gerst , not me.....and at the time it was made, that was the street price for the v67G....that thread is over 2 years old....

Uhhhh, good links there fellas. Eyes are too tired now, brain waves slowing dramatically.
I will probably pick up the 67v. damn, I wish I weren't so picky when it came to my $$$!!!!

Only $99? That's it??? I'd feel kinda bad only spending that much for a quality condenser. that's not much more than an sm57!

The C1 does come with a nice case, a shockmount, a high pass filter and a 10 db pad. So it's not really like if a V67G is a cheap C1.

Ok, that's twice now this week I've read that the AT 4040 is really good. Gotta lok into this.

Here's a question. If the MXLv67 is such a popular mic, why is it only $99 and the very unpopular (and I have this mic and don't like it) 2001 still going for $200 plus?

DJL said:
I'm pretty sure if you do a search you will find I'm not mis-quoting anyone.
I'm pretty sure you are. In fact, I'm positive.

On page 5 of the thread of which Gidge provided the link, I MrZekeMan, asked the following question:

Harvey Gerst

Do you think these mics are close enough in performance that it negates the usefulness of having them both?

Harvey answered thusly:

No, there are voices that have energies in different ranges that will excite differernt resonances in microphones. Even mics that sound this close will sometimes differ greatly in how they handle a specific instrument or a specific voice. If you plan on having a studio, having both makes sense. If it's just gonna be for you and your voice, find the one that works best for your voice and go with that.

You and your agenda are so transparant it's nauseating. But congratulations, you succeeded in getting me to do what I swore to never do again, post on this board.

Zeke

First 2 things..

1. I am so tired of SP drum beaters I could spit.
2. The V67G is much more useable across numerous vocals I have recorded vs. the C1 - Warmer, thicker not ringy sounding and harsh like the C1.

Ozraves nailed it with the AT 4040. That is going to be my next mic.

The V67G used to be much more expensive not sure why they have dropped the price except maybe it wasn't selling all that well until Harvey endorsed it. Rightfully so, it has a very unique and usable sound.

Ok, I apologize for the paraphrase... it's hard to remember the exact wordiing and if you look above in this thread you'll see I said both the C1 and V67 are good cheap budget mic's... so I'm not bashing Studio Projects mic's, infact I own both the V67 and C1.

Originally posted by Henri Devill
How similar sounding is the C1 to the MXL V67? Anyone, I'm curious as to the differences in sound .
Don

Originally posted by Harvey Gerst
I posted my comparison in the earlier big thread on the C1 mic. Here's what I found:

OK, first impressions Marshall MXL-V67G vs. Sound Projects C1

Bottom line; the'yre pretty damn close to each other in sound.
------------------------------------------------

I was just trying to save him a few bucks. But... like I said before... buy whatever mic you want... I don't care.

Last edited:
And for the record... I've never bashed Alan or Studio Projects mic's... however, I have and will bash the stinkin' cheap tricky advertising that has been used to sell SP mic's on the internet forums.

Back