Is Rap Music Dead?

Welcome to 70 years of popular music. Rock'n'roll in the 50's told disenfranchised youth to live for the day with their new found disposable income incase we should fall into another world war. Indie "mod" stuff did the same in the 60's in the UK. punk in 70's was helping disenfranchised youth have a violent voice to fight back against a system that was failing them after a decade of peaceful protest did very little to change things in their opinion. 80's rap was the inner city equivalent of punk in the USA. 90's had grunge aimed at the lethargic disenfranchised youth who had lost faith in the world around them. 00's dance music helped disenfranchised youth build their own utopia based around pure hedonism. Do any of these things seem like good life goals? to most of us, probably not, but youth isn't about being told what to do, it's about learning for yourself. Little acts of teen rebellion make us the people we are today. it's during our teen years that we develop are own morals, out own dreams, our own outlook on life and the world around us, and we often build these beliefs based on a combination of our parents believes, our peers, and our social interaction with the world around us.

Music doesn't create monsters, monstrous deeds create monsters.

Yup. Amazing how every generation ends up sounding just like their grandparents.

Yup. Amazing how every generation ends up sounding just like their grandparents.
Well, they ultimately face the same sort of responsibilities. It's not that difficult to be a young rebel. It's damn hard to be an old rich one ! :D

So if I am understanding where this conversation is going:

When rappers or fans of rap have kids, the kids will think that rap is oldies music, and they won't want to listen to that. The kids will listen to the next new thing that they think they thought of and all the rap artists will end up listed as "Golden Oldies" or in the "Bargain Basement" bin. Rap won't be dead, just retired. The rappers can get together in a few years can go on tour doing the Reunion and play some golden oldies. All the old rap fans can be seated (cos they are to old and tied to stand up for too long) in rows reminiscing about the good old days and hoping the concert does not finish too late so they can get to bed on time, this is just priceless ....

Alan.

So if I am understanding where this conversation is going:

When rappers or fans of rap have kids, the kids will think that rap is oldies music, and they won't want to listen to that. The kids will listen to the next new thing that they think they thought of and all the rap artists will end up listed as "Golden Oldies" or in the "Bargain Basement" bin. Rap won't be dead, just retired. The rappers can get together in a few years can go on tour doing the Reunion and play some golden oldies. All the old rap fans can be seated (cos they are to old and tied to stand up for too long) in rows reminiscing about the good old days and hoping the concert does not finish too late so they can get to bed on time, this is just priceless ....

Alan.

sooooooo...... kinda like it is now? bands like Asia, Yes, Take That, Spice Girls, 10cc, Buzzcocks all spring to mind :D

and again, the perception of dead is a difficult one, especially when we're talking about such a broad genre. As has already been said, it's like asking is rock dead? certain sub genres may be "retired" but the progression and evolution of the genre has meant that rock is still very much thriving, as is rap, and so it will continue to do so

No actual musical genre is dead. The popularity comes and goes. Certain elements from just about every genre fuse with others and mutate. They may all go through that thing of seemingly losing their freshness, edge and vitality. And then in the decades to come, get recorded at home in true HR fashion. The ultimate sign of cosmic acceptance and assumption into the culture. From underground to above ground and back under, for the sheer joy of it !
Amen.

My brothers girlfriend told me that the popularity slot rap fell into was been replaced with numtal in the mid to late 90's and that slot is now filled with that silly breakdown metal emo music.

So it has been explained to me.

Well, I don't want to pick on Johnny, because I just used him as an example. But, actually, I'd say his whole image is based on being an ex-con, wearing black, being a badass, etc.....

He wore black "for the poor and beaten down, living in the hopeless hungry side of town",
but I take your point.
He definitely augmented the criminal image in order to increase his appeal.
It's not really any different from what happens in a lot of hip-hop.

He definitely had phases though. There was the guy who desperately wanted to be bas-ass, the gospel singer, the love song/ballad singer.
I think those different sides contribute to his long lasting credibility.

My brothers girlfriend told me that the popularity slot rap fell into was been replaced with numtal in the mid to late 90's and that slot is now filled with that silly breakdown metal emo music.

So it has been explained to me.

This reminds me of a conversation I had at a CD shop back when I was getting into dance music and forming a live band to play dance music. I asked something along the lines of what is the difference between Trance, House, left field, right field, etc, etc. :D I got a reply along the lines of this one is 123BPM this one is 120BPM with 32nd high hats, this one has 16th high hats with 4 on the floor kick, this one does not use snare on the 1st 2nd beat only the 3rd 2nd beat and then only during a full moon when the wind blows from the sea. :confused::confused::confused:

We just went off and created our own style of dance music. :guitar:

Cheers
Alan.

This reminds me of a conversation I had at a CD shop back when I was getting into dance music and forming a live band to play dance music. I asked something along the lines of what is the difference between Trance, House, left field, right field, etc, etc. :D I got a reply along the lines of this one is 123BPM this one is 120BPM with 32nd high hats, this one has 16th high hats with 4 on the floor kick, this one does not use snare on the 1st 2nd beat only the 3rd 2nd beat and then only during a full moon when the wind blows from the sea. :confused::confused::confused:

We just went off and created our own style of dance music. :guitar:

Cheers
Alan.

Oh, you want an explanation of dance music?
here you go:

Welcome to 70 years of popular music. Rock'n'roll in the 50's told disenfranchised youth to live for the day with their new found disposable income incase we should fall into another world war. Indie "mod" stuff did the same in the 60's in the UK. punk in 70's was helping disenfranchised youth have a violent voice to fight back against a system that was failing them after a decade of peaceful protest did very little to change things in their opinion. 80's rap was the inner city equivalent of punk in the USA. 90's had grunge aimed at the lethargic disenfranchised youth who had lost faith in the world around them. 00's dance music helped disenfranchised youth build their own utopia based around pure hedonism. Do any of these things seem like good life goals? to most of us, probably not, but youth isn't about being told what to do, it's about learning for yourself. Little acts of teen rebellion make us the people we are today. it's during our teen years that we develop are own morals, out own dreams, our own outlook on life and the world around us, and we often build these beliefs based on a combination of our parents believes, our peers, and our social interaction with the world around us.

Music doesn't create monsters, monstrous deeds create monsters.

Yeah shortcuts to wealth using drugs and violence, targeting one section of society, are exactly the same as your examples ;)

I like rap, i like hip hop, but i wish some of it would just die out...some kids arent smart enough to make the right choices

Everyone to their own taste (Note I didn't use the term music) But for me the funeral would be a happy occasion and I definitely would notshed any tears...That being said I am sure many other ptro rappers that have opinions that as valid as mine or anyone else's "Its just opinion" Itsonlyme.

This is what rap would do to me over time:
View attachment 72576

I do so hope the rumour is true...I await the funeral with baited breath, and definitely would not shed any tears....However, that is purely "My" opinion Others will have their opinion..which is as valid as anyone's on the site (They are just "personal" opinions) To me however some guy puffing obscenities into a mike whilst grabbing his crotch etc does not in any way constitute music.

If I were to listen to rap I am sure the result would be as the embedded picture

View attachment 72590

itsonlyme

Watched a 2-3 hour documentary about Death Row Records last night, "Welcome to Death Row".... on the Ovation channel.
As much as I am not a Rap music lover, the documentary was so interesting that I could not turn away. It covered the rise and fall of Death Row Records which was one of "the" Rap label of the '90s --- 50 million records sold and $750 million in revenue off of artists like Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Tupac, etc....

If you want a quick history/education about Rap, and more specifically, the birth of Gangsta Rap...and the stuff that went on behind the scenes of this major label and its artists...this documentary is a must-see.
It not only showcases the Rap music scene, but also gives some great insight in what goes on in the music biz in general that the public rarely sees. It also shows that as much as Rap/Gangsta Rap was a "street driven" music genre...in the end it was manipulated primarily to generate profits...and not so much about spreading some "message".

An unholy alliance.

as much as Rap/Gangsta Rap was a "street driven" music genre...in the end it was manipulated primarily to generate profits...and not so much about spreading some "message".
As cynical as it may sound, record labels exist to make money. That's why they're part of what is known as the music business.
At the same time, it has been the concern of many label bosses and execs of a variety of companies and genres over the years to put out vital music that matters and that people like and will buy. Maybe not so much now, but there was a time when some of those execs or A&R men had an affinity for various messages being spread by the artists.
But only an ejit runs a company deliberately at a loss.

Rap to me has been played up for more than it is. It's more like standup comedy. There are a few who can make a stand and a career from it, and they are few, but there are many more who really just want to become movie stars (Queen Latifah, Will Smith, Ice T, Ice Cube). There's nothing else there but the face, and the act. And that's fine with me, just don't try to sell me that this is the progression of music. It's not. It digresses, as it copies (not emulates) what it came from.

Back