Is Rap Music Dead?

I wonder what if anything is next?
I remember back in 2006 seeing interviews and stuff where everyone was all "yeah, raps been around mainstream a few years now. in 5 years it'll be something else. a return to something real." And it seems everyone talks about popular music moving in waves of "good/real music" and "bad/manufactured" music.
lol. gimme a break.
it seems to have progressively got worse. Franz Ferdinand, 50 Cent, Amy Whinehouse (lol. whinehouse.) and the other pop stars of yesteryear had something real in their music. i could recognize some sort of authenticity to it regardless of whether or not i liked it.
But Nicki Minaj, Rihanna and these other tabloid ass clowns? lulz. It's clear that they're fame chasers. And for some reason they get it.

Everything seems like it changed with Mtv in the 80s.
Maybe in other parts of the world people are a little more free. But here in the States especially Viacom controls everything. Mtv, VH1, Nickelodeon, etc. Which in turn feeds the radio.
I wonder if the power will ever return to the musicians?
I guess we'll have to wait for labels to die first.

It's not even a genre thing really. It seems like all real music is dying and being replaced with something that can be controlled.

I'm not sticking up for rap here. But I find it funny that when Johny Cash sings (barely) abut being an outlaw and shooting someone, it's cool stuff.

When a rapper raps about the same thing, it's corruptiing people's minds. I guess only old white guys are allowed to be assholes.

And as far as "corrupting" anyone's mind. If your mind is that fucking weak, you shouldn't be allowed in public. I mean, you might accidentally watch a horror movie or something, and who knows what that will "make" you do.

:rolleyes:

I'm not sticking up for rap here. But I find it funny that when Johny Cash sings (barely) abut being an outlaw and shooting someone, it's cool stuff.

When a rapper raps about the same thing, it's corruptiing people's minds. I guess only old white guys are allowed to be assholes.

I never felt rap was corrupting my mind...just my hearing. :)

Cash never made gangster life a regular, ongoing theme in everything he wrote/recorded. Rap has been associated with it constantly.

Tons of Blue Grass has themes of murder and mayhem. But it wasn't glamourized as being "cool" (think "Long Black Veil").

Cash never made gangster life a regular, ongoing theme in everything he wrote/recorded. .
Well, I don't want to pick on Johnny, because I just used him as an example. But, actually, I'd say his whole image is based on being an ex-con, wearing black, being a badass, etc.....

*I reallize the ex-con thing is bullshit. But he glamorized it, not me. I think he might have spent a night in jail for something once, and then got a lot of mileage out of it.

I think Cash sang more about people in trouble...not so much about people going out and causing trouble to other people and to the establishment.

Yeah, "Cocaine Blues" was pretty hard core for sure. It covers all all the gangsta rap bases. Still I don't ever hear gangsta rappers doing a lot of gospel tunes as well as their normal material.

Yeah, "Cocaine Blues" was pretty hard core for sure. It covers all all the gangsta rap bases.
There you go.

Still I don't ever hear gangsta rappers doing a lot of gospel tunes as well as their normal material.
Yeah but that's a different thing. We can't start condemning artists just because they stay within their genre. I never heard Alice Cooper do any gospel either. :)

:D

Well...you can find all kinds of themes in most every genre...but I do think most will agree that Rap has an ongoing obsession with violence and little else.
Then you have the Black Metal crowd... and their regular themes are pretty extreme too.

Bob Marley "I Shot The Sherriff"

I admit, nobody has the moral high ground. Still, the Rap crowd has the market cornered. But rhyming over a drum machine still just doesn't blow my skirt up.

I'm just being a bit of a dick. I don't totally disagree with you guys. :)

I dont see how rap can be dead, its a vocal style for delivering lyrics, Gill Scott Heron rapped....are certain genres that use rap dying off?

I hope so, theyre shit and build negative stereotypes...they also give disenfranchised youths the wrong goals to aspire to

But raps not dead...its just on a back burner just now

Absolutely Rap is NOT dead and probably won't ever be. Hell, Big Band music is still around some 80 years down the road.

This is a survey for everyone. and I want to know your perspectives about Today's rap music.

"A recent study by the Black Youth Project showed a majority of youth think rap has too many violent images. In a poll of black Americans by The Associated Press and AOL-Black Voices last year, 50 percent of respondents said hip-hop was a negative force in American society" theledgerdotcom

Is it dying or dead?

We can hope!

I hope so, theyre shit and build negative stereotypes...they also give disenfranchised youths the wrong goals to aspire to

Welcome to 70 years of popular music. Rock'n'roll in the 50's told disenfranchised youth to live for the day with their new found disposable income incase we should fall into another world war. Indie "mod" stuff did the same in the 60's in the UK. punk in 70's was helping disenfranchised youth have a violent voice to fight back against a system that was failing them after a decade of peaceful protest did very little to change things in their opinion. 80's rap was the inner city equivalent of punk in the USA. 90's had grunge aimed at the lethargic disenfranchised youth who had lost faith in the world around them. 00's dance music helped disenfranchised youth build their own utopia based around pure hedonism. Do any of these things seem like good life goals? to most of us, probably not, but youth isn't about being told what to do, it's about learning for yourself. Little acts of teen rebellion make us the people we are today. it's during our teen years that we develop are own morals, out own dreams, our own outlook on life and the world around us, and we often build these beliefs based on a combination of our parents believes, our peers, and our social interaction with the world around us.

Music doesn't create monsters, monstrous deeds create monsters.

Back