Is one take a thing of the past?

Give me three solid takes of that, done in quick succession so the feel is close on all three....and I'm sure I can comp one track from them, using sections from all three, and you won't know where the crossfades are.
Multiple mics are just more tracks/more work...but not any different than single tracks, you just have to nail the crossfades multiple times, and honestly, with multiple mics it can be even easier to mask the crossfades as a whole, and if the music is not constant...that would make it easier, to just find a break in the music above and below the section to comp.

It's only really hard when the three takes are way off from each other...played differently, very poorly, lots of intonation differences.
This is why I feel that good comping isn't about taking bad takes and making them into a good one...it's about taking good takes and comping them into a better one.

That said...there's been times when the takes/sections just don't match up well for reasons I mentioned above, but that's more the fault of the takes, and not so much the comping process. That's why I like to go for at least 3, sometimes 5, takes in quick succession when I know I may want to comp a track. I can usually find good matches for crossfading between 3-5 takes.
Remember the scene in La Bamba when the producer has "Ritchie Valens" do something like 60 takes because each one had to be a perfect match so they could edit and comp to one... :D

It also can be a subjective decision with some types of music/songs/tracks....should you even try comping or should you do the whole thing over, but that's up to each person to decide, I'm just saying that there's a lot of power in a DAW.
My DAW, Samplitude ProX, was built for editing better than most. Its Object editing is second to none, and only now are some other DAWs trying to put out similar functionality, which I've been working with for over 10 years now.

Like I said, it's a theoretical argument. If I had three good takes of such a piece, then I've wasted time, because I only need one..

There's also a mindset thing here too... if you go into it thinking "I'll get three good takes and comp" then that's what you'll do. I find, personally, that if hit a not particularly clean note in something complex, that for the rest of the piece I'm wondering "will that be good enough?" instead of concentrating on what I'm doing, and that will affect what I'm playing now....

So these days I tend to stop as soon as I do something wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no purist, and my pieces usually contain stops and starts where it's pretty easy to comp, and I do if I have to. It's just in some situations I think it's better not to even try. Nail the bastard... :eek::D

I find, personally, that if hit a not particularly clean note in something complex, that for the rest of the piece I'm wondering "will that be good enough?" instead of concentrating on what I'm doing, and that will affect what I'm playing now....

I got past those mental games awhile ago...mainly because of my multi-take approach.

Don't get me wrong...if the take is going bad, I stop too and start over....but when I'm getting a really good take and maybe clip one note/string the wrong way, I don't stop anymore. I finish the take....then do the second, and third...then if I feel that takes 2 & 3 were much better than 1, I might go back and redo another take and replace the first one, or if they were all good (except for those few, small glitches)....I know I'm done and can comp a really good track from the the three takes.
IOW...doing multiple takes and comping has actually freed me from thinking I have to keep going back and starting over for any/every little glitch that comes up in otherwise good takes. :)

When I'm first creating the song, there will be a lot of cut and paste going on while I'm arranging everything.
This is why I love these discussions.
That's an interesting way of doing things. All the arranging is done in my head, on guitar or on bass. By the time I get to laying down the initial tracks, I know how all the pieces fit.
Sure you could just copy Verse 1 to create Verse 2, but the end result can sound rather sterile.
I would never know. I'd been listening to the Beatles' "I me mine" for 15 years before I read that the third verse and chorus were a re~run of the second verse and chorus and that Phil Spector did some jiggery pokery to extend the song because originally it was only about 1 1/2 minutes long {it was the last thing the Beatles as they were, recorded in a studio. John Lennon had already left the band and it was done by the other 3}.
Sometimes, after I've finished laying down the initial tracks, I've found that I've forgotten that there was supposed to be one more verse ! Or my lyric requires one more verse or a few more bars need to be in there. Thankfully, it's easy to take a previous verse or part and copy it and add it and bacause I'll use the bass drum waveform as my entry and exit point, it's really hard to spot the join. And of course, with all the noise and different things going on on top of this, sterility can be easilly avoided.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. I'm just a believer in integrity and competence. It's my own hang-up and I don't, well try not to, push it on anyone else. I like knowing that for my own stuff it's all legit. A Greg recording is all real shit really played by me in a way that I could march right out and play it live right in front of your face if I had to. For most of the stuff I listen to, I believe that to be the case as well. I like to think, hope, that I'm listening to stuff that was done in the way I like it to be done.
I basically started off recording with something approaching that view and it was my intent and the way I did it for a number of years. A couple of things stopped me in my tracks though {no pun intended}.
Firstly, I found that teaching whoever was recording with me and rehearsing the parts just took so long. Too long. That wasn't such a hassle when we had endless time on our hands but once work and parenthood entered the picture, I didn't fancy spending 7 or 8 weeks on a bass and drum part. I knew what I wanted from them because I lived with these songs in my head all the time for weeks, months and sometimes years. They didn't. They had a couple of hours {and often less} to assimilate and reproduce what I'd lived with for ages and knew almost backwards.
Secondly, 'purity and integrity' to me doesn't necessarilly equate to 'live in the studio and able to be reproduced live in it's entirety'. I dig bands that do it that way and I dig bands that came up with complex flowery creations that could not practically be reproduced live without a huge arsenal of orchestral and electronic assistance. I was listening the other week to the great psychedelic masterpiece from Blossom Toes, 1967's "We are ever so clean". They were really pissed off with the album because they were just an English white boy R&B band that had written some songs and wanted to make a record. Their manager {Giorgio Gomelsky, the guy that managerially got the Rolling Stones and the Yardbirds initially up and running} took the tapes and added orchestras, other instruments and sound effects and as a result it seems so evocative of the hippy heaven of '67. It's very artificial in reality. Now, I love that kind of thing. So when I first started thinking about the sort of stuff I was going to record, I realized I was going to be somewhat schizophrenic because I liked so many different kinds of music and they were going to bleed into what I did. And some of what I liked simply wasn't two guitars, bass and drums rocking out, though I've pretty much always loved that too.
I love the way a classical piece can be long and complex with great instrumental interplay and recorded live with no repair work. But I don't know that many people ! And even if I did, I'd never be able to fit them into the spaces I record in or recorded in ! Well, not with their instruments anyway. So as a home recorder of limited ability instrumentally, wanting to fit in some friends that play things that I can't, recording in sections has become the way to go. Some of my friends can improvise but for the most part, I'll write their parts for them. When I say write, I mean hum on one track for them to learn and follow.
I like to think, hope, that I'm listening to stuff that was done in the way I like it to be done. If it wasn't just don't tell me about it.
I don't recall as a kid ever thinking about how films, TV programmes or records were actually made. I was fascinated when I began to realize how they were. A real wall to get over was Thin Lizzy's "Live & dangerous". I loved that album with a vengeance but within a few months of having it, I read a Tony Visconti interview in a book, "The record producers" in which he said that the only totally live performances on the album were that of the crowd and the drummer Brian Downey. Phil Lynott's bass and vocals were redone and Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham layered guitars to beef up the guitar sounds. Somewhat ironic because Phil Lynott used to say "My name is Phil Lynott because I lie not". Prior to that, there were evil rumours of bands not playing on their records and the existence of these shadowy figures called "session men".......That led me on the road to ruin as far as integrity of the biz went. Of course there is alot of integrity of heart, art and honesty in music recording. There's also alot of horseshit !!
The beauty is, for me at any rate, it doesn't really matter. I do want to know how things were done. I want to know what's pure and what isn't. I want to know what trickery is afoot and at hand. And use it, if I can !
For me, recording is the art of presenting aural illusions. Blimey, even live albums are touched up !
If I had three good takes of such a piece, then I've wasted time, because I only need one..
That is exactly how I feel. Which is not to knock comping, I think it's a valid and useful and very good way of achieving the goal. I certainly have never been able to tell which pieces of which songs have been comped, even when, through interviews, I've been made aware. It's just not how I choose to record.
That said, on occasions when I've double tracked a singer, rather than use the double tracking, I've comped from the two takes of the vocal.
That's another interesting one. For me, it depends how wrong. Sometimes I just might carry on and do either a punch in {which can be smoother} or what I call an edit, which is the same as a punch in except that the DAW doesn't automatically bring in the entry and exit points. Most of the time though, I'll just start again. But when I say start again, I don't necessarilly mean right back to the beginning.
I know it's a bit nebulous and it's really hard to put it in a way that's graspable, but I've always had this innate thing for a feeling in music. I've recorded pieces that were pretty much flawless but they lacked a certain Je ne sais quois.......whereas other times, though there may be mistakes, the 'feeling' is right so I've kept the take. It's not some magical thing, but it's hard to define. Perhaps it's just the way the guitar or bass meshes with the drums or percussion {whichever combo is being put down first}. It's hard to define but I know it as soon as I hear it.

If I had three good takes of such a piece, then I've wasted time, because I only need one.

That is exactly how I feel.

Yeah...you can look at it that way....but I guess if you're trying for that one, perfect take, and you screw up, now on the next attempt, you have that bit of pressure on you....then you get about 3/4 of the way through the next take and maybe you hear a small glitch, which is now on your mind....so you start a third take....

...and at that point, you still got.......nothing. :(

Me....I've done and kept all three takes that were good, exceptt maybe for small glitches, and I've moved on without ever feeling that pressure from take to take that it must be perfect or else I have to start over. :)

So then really....what approach is the bigger waste of time? ;)

I use Cubase, though I never knew of this function. I'll have to check it out. Is this preferred to gating...say on a tom track or snare track?

i mostly just use the 'remove' to quickly take care of long lengths of nothing on a track.

say, i'm doing backups.....
i often times just let the 'tape' roll, so to speak, and just sing where i need to....
then, i go back and get rid of all that 'dead space' in between actual tracking.

the auto function just takes care of it quick for me, sometimes it's just as easy to just let the track play, and grab sections of dead space with my cursor, and i hit a combination of keyboard keys and it 'cuts' the audio out.
it's called 'trimming'.

if it's something i don't need to have, i'll actually 'apply trimming' which means destructive audio editing.
but if it's audio that overlaps takes, i can just grab one end or the other and slide it past the good audio, or OVER the bad audio...
always able to go back to it if i want it.
non-destructive, as they say.

but mostly, if i grab some audio with the intention of taking it out of play, i'm gonna zap it away forever.
but the actual audio takes that are in the sub-folder of the project, never gets edited, only what's in the song file that is being edited for playback.

seriously, it's dirt easy, makes the playback much cleaner, you can easily see when you have audio, and you never have to worry about errant tracks triggering effects or any of that kind of stuff happening.

drums:
i never edit drum tracks, i let them bleed.

the only caveat to that is, sometimes if i am given tracks that have really crummy overhead captures, i'll trim out the audio in between the cymbal crashes, but more times than not, i'll not mess with the drums.

and THEN a gate is really easy to apply, if you want really dry-inyourface drum tracks

for clarification:

i never comp tracks, i almost always go for 'one take', even though that one take might be take number 78.
LOL

My 'take' on it is, if I can't play/sing all my parts in real time or live in one take, then it's not going into a recording as if I can.

I don't feel shame to say I've done 50+ takes of vocals and guitar to get it right. When I finally get fed up of trying, it stays as is and it's often far from perfect. I'd rather the odd tiny mistake in the vocals or guitar though, than cutting and pasting to make it sound 100% perfect. That's just too far removed from what I am, and capable of, in reality.

For everything else, it's free for all. The odd bit of other instrumentation I have done, I have edited the shit out of. Only because it's complimentary sound, not the guts of of the song. I would have starved to death before getting that anywhere near perfect anyways, so it would have fallen on even my own deaf/dead ears by the time I got it right.

I don't feel shame to say I've done 50+ takes of vocals and guitar to get it right. When I finally get fed up of trying, it stays as is and it's often far from perfect. I'd rather the odd tiny mistake in the vocals or guitar though, than cutting and pasting to make it sound 100% perfect. That's just too far removed from what I am, and capable of, in reality.

I get the feeling that some folks have a misunderstanding about, or negative view of comping for the wrong reasons...like that somehow comping "creates" music that is not real or that the person didn't actually play/sing.

This is a simplified example, but basically covers it. The comped track is all YOU, nothing is fabricated, and it's something you did.
This is also mainly about fixing glitches and accidents, and not about taking really bad crappy playing/singing...and fabricating something you are not capable of doing anyway.

Do the takes, and then grab any of the sections that are good (in bold) and comp to one track.

Take 1: verse-good, verse-good, chorus-bad, verse-bad.
Take 2: verse-bad, verse-good, chorus-good, verse bad.
Take 3: verse-good, verse-good, chorus-bad, verse-good.

Of the three takes each has something good, but also some glitches in one or more sections.
Take 3 was almost good throughout, so that is the "foundation"...and all it needed was the chorus, which came from take 2.
The other good sections in takes 1 & 2 become alternates, that can be used in place of other good takes if you simply like their tone/phrasing better...or maybe for doubling, etc, or you don't need to use them at all.

Comp: verse-take 3, verse-take 3, chorus-take 2, verse-take 3

Every note/word was played and sung by you....there's nothing there that you were not capable of doing...because *you did it*, :) it's just multiple takes of you performing the same thing so that you have more than one version of it.
It makes for much faster tracking, and it offers you options. If all 3-5 takes are really good...then you can consider their subtle differences, and maybe you like the way something sounds in the chorus of one take more than the others (even though all are performed equally well), so you comp that chorus in.

But hey....when I work with tape, I still do it all in one pass....I just do it three times to three tracks.
It was only back in the 4 track days when tracks were few that one-pass (after 56 takes) was the only way to go! :D

I get the feeling that some folks have a misunderstanding about, or negative view of comping for the wrong reasons...like that somehow comping "creates" music that is not real or that the person didn't actually play/sing.

Oh not at all, I definitely don't think that and I see your point completely. My songs are only about 2:30 long at the moment, come back to me when I'm doing something 5min long and I'm sure my tune will have changed about all this.

At the moment, I enjoy the pain and aggravation of making myself do it as best I can without using the software. That's because I still have so much to learn about the recording process itself. Actually, what it comes down to is that A) I don't know how to use the software well enough to make a seamless cut, and so playing/singing it again is easier in my head that learning how to use software. And B) I'm still in the VERY beginner stage of recording, so I put most of my failed attempts down to lack of practice or inadequate knowledge. Consequently at least 50% of my recording time is really just me practicing and getting the settings right, so even if I comped, it wouldn't make it sound that much better. :D

Maybe I missed it, but nobody has talked yet about double tracking. If I'm double tracking a guitar part, I'll get two takes that are (individually) good enough. But, on playback, if you pan them wide and listen closely, there will almost always be 5-6 spots where guitar stabs aren't in sync. I'll go punch those out. That method seems to work best for me.

And for some strange reason, fixing that by copying and pasting from another spot on the track is cheating in my book. But punching is fine with me. With punching in, at least everything on the track is a uniquely played performance. I'm probably weird.

Actually, what it comes down to is that A) I don't know how to use the software well enough to make a seamless cut, and so playing/singing it again is easier in my head that learning how to use software.

Well of course, that would certainly be a good reason to avoid comping and all the DAW intricacies that take time to learn and do well....and maybe you're onto something. I'm sure there are other people who just haven't had the opportunity to learn or get good at comping, and they maybe find it too messy a process compared to just hitting "RW" and doing another take...so they just avoid it or feel negative about it.

Every once in awhile when the mood strikes me, I'll track something just to tape, one track, as it falls, and then mix from the tape deck directly....without any edits, comps or anything that one would do in a DAW regularly, that you couldn't do when mixing off tape. It certainly is both fun and challenging, because you really get to deal with an as-it-falls production...and the only way to fix something IS to start from the beginning.

That said....I do prefer using the tools and power of a DAW, so most times even with tracking to tape...I'm dumping everything into the DAW where I can have at it as needed. :)

Yeah...you can look at it that way....but I guess if you're trying for that one, perfect take, and you screw up, now on the next attempt, you have that bit of pressure on you....then you get about 3/4 of the way through the next take and maybe you hear a small glitch, which is now on your mind....so you start a third take....

...and at that point, you still got.......nothing. :(
We're home recorders. Personally, I'm not on a deadline, not under commercial constraints and can afford to be as indulgent as I want to be. Some songs have taken me over 13 years to complete. Having to take 4 or 5 takes to get a part as I want it is hardly going to finish me off !
Me....I've done and kept all three takes that were good, except maybe for small glitches, and I've moved on without ever feeling that pressure from take to take that it must be perfect or else I have to start over. :)
I abandoned any real notions of perfection at the start of 1993. As I said before, I know when I've got what I require. I don't feel pressure either. I might do if I had an engineer and producer "breathing down my neck". But not at home with food, drink and a toilet nearby.....
So then really....what approach is the bigger waste of time? ;)
Neither. Your approach is the one you prefer. So of course it's the one you feel the most kinship with. But it ain't better than mine. And neither is mine better than yours. In truth, for many home recorders, or certainly for me, time is fairly irrelevant. When I give myself over to recording, the rest of the world kind of gets put on the back burner for a while. So even 78 takes isn't a waste of time if you get what you require.
I've long been at the point in life where I can have completely different thoughts about someone else's process and say "I choose not to go that way" yet still recognize that it's a good way to go. For example, I'd like to record everything live, with everyone there but I just don't write that way and it's not important to me. I'll only take issue when someone intimates that it's the only way or an inferior way when I know it is not.
My 'take' on it is, if I can't play/sing all my parts in real time or live in one take, then it's not going into a recording as if I can.
I used to feel like that until I learned that so much recording isn't that way at all and more importantly, I could never tell, either way.
I'd rather the odd tiny mistake in the vocals or guitar though, than cutting and pasting to make it sound 100% perfect. That's just too far removed from what I am, and capable of, in reality.
I know this is home recording blasphemy, but it really isn't important to me whether or not I can actually do something that I might deem suitable for a song. For example, I can't play flute, organ, saxophone, sitar or tambura or a number of instruments that turn up in my songs. But I can play the samples off a dummy keyboard and to maintain authenticity, I put myself into the mind of that particular player. But by the same token, I hear pieces of music in my head that I can't play in real time but could do if the recording was slowed down. So recording in sections with the speed slowed {or sometimes, sped up} is something I'm no stranger to.
Recording for me is filled with artifice and so I like the mix of the pure and the "technologically possible".

I don't even think that about samples though my initial, instinctive reaction veers in that direction.
Although I think music recording will eventually head that way {hopefully I'll be dead or have stopped recording by then}, I don't think we're yet at that place where machines really do the work. Humans are still required to do their thing.
I'll state for the record again, I have no problem with comping. It's one of a number of creative processes and great music is created through it. To me, it's no different to overdubbing or punching in or doing edits. I can't see anything negative in it at all. I simply choose to do something else. Neither do I dismiss it. Sometimes, I use it.

Maybe I missed it, but nobody has talked yet about double tracking.
That said, on occasions when I've double tracked a singer, rather than use the double tracking, I've comped from the two takes of the vocal.
Kind of buried, but it was there !
And for some strange reason, fixing that by copying and pasting from another spot on the track is cheating in my book. But punching is fine with me. With punching in, at least everything on the track is a uniquely played performance.
I think the word "cheating" should be expunged from all recording conversations because it implies something really dark, deceitful and dirty when actually, 'cheating' is a creative endeavour.
A recording is not the capturing of a singular performance for me. Though in some cases it might be.

Every once in awhile when the mood strikes me.......
That's one of the keys for me. I keep it pretty fresh and different depending on how I feel. I don't think there's much that I do that will forever remain unbending.

We're home recorders. Personally, I'm not on a deadline, not under commercial constraints and can afford to be as indulgent as I want to be.

.... for me, time is fairly irrelevant.

I really wasn't promoting comping as a time-saving SOP.
Someone said that if you take the time to do several really good takes to comp from, it's a waste of time....why not just do one good take and not bother with the other takes and the need to comp.
I only replied to that saying that if you COULD get it in one take, that's great...but when you have to do "78" passes (as someone jokingly mentioned)....then it's not "one take", it's 78 takes....you just kept only one.
So in regard to that, I asked which SOP wasted more time? :)

Anyway...I never suggested that comping was the "better" way to track...that's always a personal choice. I only described how the process can make for creative recording of several fresh/spontaneous "good takes", which then can become one great track.
I've done the "78" takes - kept one. There's is a certain feeling of "victory" when you get there, but man, I have to be honest and say that sometimes after a half-dozen passes or so, it can get REAL OLD :D and you start to lose the vibe.
That's mainly when/why I opt for the multi-take/comp approach, and mostly on critical tracks, like vocals.
Most of my other tracks I'll just do a few passes, and by the 4-5 pass one ends up being a keeper and I move on.
I mean really....any tracking SOPs that get you where you want to go are valid. We're just discussing them all here, but none are "wrong".

The other point I was making was just to say that comping is still "you"...there's no machine, no faking involved...since some folks seem to view comping negatively, and that it's more about "fabrication" than the "real" thing....
...which is certainly not the case, and I know you agree with that.

13 years...huh? ;)
Hey...I had a song that I wrote with a buddy of mine back in....1980.
I could never get the chorus to feel right, but the verses were really good. Every so often I would try to find something that worked better...but no dice.
I finally found the chorus I was looking for around 2005.
That's 25 years to finish a song! :p

Clear back to the original post about seeing the guitar track cut into little pieces...
This is not necessarily comping. I often take perfectly good one pass takes and cut them into pieces for automation ease.
Say, I want more chorus on the verse and a little slap back on the chorus. It's easier to cut up the track and apply where needed (for me) than to automate each effect/process. This is an over-simplified example, but if you had four or five effects and several tonal/EQ changes going on in several different sections of the song, it is simplified to use this approach. Or if you are automating a transient or gradient effect on only one point in the song, removing that point into a separate track makes keeping the integrity of the original track breeze.

Back