Is Once Enough ?

Olivia Newton-John, "Magic". The song just touches me every time... And Olivia is Olivia... But the rest of her music just doesn't do it for me!

Last edited:
Since my last post on this thread, I listened to one of Taylor Swift’s records. Her second one—her version. The songs were good but the entirety of the record sounded pretty much the same. I’ve also listened to Evermore and I prefer that one by a lot.

I just wanted to reply to this, the lead guitarist here (Robert Athas, now known as Kane Roberts) isn't dead, though you MIGHT be thinking about the drummer (Victor Ruzzo), who did pass away at some point. Just wanted to reply to correct that tidbit! (Also just wanted to correct the spelling on Rusty's last name, it's Brinnier!)

In fact, Kane rejoined Alice's band temporarily just last year! So he's very much alive LOL.

Nice to hear more about Skywire though! I've been looking into them in recent times, and that song Louise was properly released on Kane's Unsung Radio album back in 2012! It's a shame the band didn't last longer (from what I know, they lasted from 1981-1983), but I'm glad that there's some info about them online!

I'm very curious about that song, "High As 99", is there any way you could post that online or anything? I'd love to hear it! A few other songs I know of that connect to Skywire are Condition Red, Junior's Ready To Rock, and I'm Waiting For You. I'm Waiting For You has two versions that eventually got released by Kane, one on a 2012 Saints And Sinners re-issue as a bonus track on a second disc, and one on Unsung Radio. The only songs I've heard however are Louise and I'm Waiting For You, though, as Condition Red and Junior's Ready To Rock haven't popped up online to my knowledge.

Seeing as Pat Travers also did his own version of Louise, I suspect the song Women On The Edge Of Love (also done by Pat Travers and Kane) MIGHT have origins in Skywire if I have my timeline straight. Same with a song called In The Heat Of The Night, which Pat Travers also did, which has Kane as a co-writing credit (granted, not under the name Kane Roberts, but it's him lol)

Some songs on Kane's first solo album (a self-titled release) might also have some origins in Skywire. Still trying to nail that down though, I've chatted with other members of Skywire about it.
I have no access to any of their recordings. The drummer had the 45/33 hanging on his wall. I don't know if he still has it, he is 800 miles away now. I did see them a bunch of times back in the day though.

I have no access to any of their recordings. The drummer had the 45/33 hanging on his wall. I don't know if he still has it, he is 800 miles away now. I did see them a bunch of times back in the day though.
Aw, that's a shame! At the very least, knowing it exists is nice, any new info on Skywire is good enough for me! It is kinda hard to come by after all LOL.

You're so lucky to have seen them back then! I wasn't alive back in those days so as you'd guess I never had the chance! I hope somehow I can see live footage of them at least, I know they opened for Alice Cooper in 1981 (and other bands/musicians as well, they've all mentioned it over the years) so I have my fingers crossed even if the odds seem slim for it!

The footage of Louise was definitely a gold moment for me in terms of Skywire footage, I had seen it before finding this forum (found it through Rusty actually) but again, it's nice to see other people talking about Skywire!

Aw, that's a shame! At the very least, knowing it exists is nice, any new info on Skywire is good enough for me! It is kinda hard to come by after all LOL.

You're so lucky to have seen them back then! I wasn't alive back in those days so as you'd guess I never had the chance! I hope somehow I can see live footage of them at least, I know they opened for Alice Cooper in 1981 (and other bands/musicians as well, they've all mentioned it over the years) so I have my fingers crossed even if the odds seem slim for it!

The footage of Louise was definitely a gold moment for me in terms of Skywire footage, I had seen it before finding this forum (found it through Rusty actually) but again, it's nice to see other people talking about Skywire!
I speak with the drummer often. He may still have the record somewhere? Maybe I can get him to send it to me and I can send it to you if possible? I will look into it. Last time I saw it was about 23 years ago hanging on the studio wall. The studio is now his house. He gave the big house next door to his kids. His studio was a small cottage that he added on to and moved into. I don't remember what was on the flip side. I lived in the Saugerties Woodstock area at the time. Not far from Rusty. I wasn't from that area and really didn't know him. Chuck the drummer and the musicians in the area knew him and the rest of the band. They were pretty darn good.

Since my last post on this thread, I listened to one of Taylor Swift’s records. Her second one—her version. The songs were good but the entirety of the record sounded pretty much the same. I’ve also listened to Evermore and I prefer that one by a lot.
I can't stand her pop stuff. The early country years were ok and of course Evermore is really not bad (y)

Actually it is pretty damned good. Way more entertaining than anything Swift does. I like everything about it.
I don't like her shows, just some of her music really "reaches" me... kinda like Olivia (see above) but to a far lesser degree (I would not have been the first to mention T Swizzle).

I speak with the drummer often. He may still have the record somewhere? Maybe I can get him to send it to me and I can send it to you if possible? I will look into it. Last time I saw it was about 23 years ago hanging on the studio wall. The studio is now his house. He gave the big house next door to his kids. His studio was a small cottage that he added on to and moved into. I don't remember what was on the flip side. I lived in the Saugerties Woodstock area at the time. Not far from Rusty. I wasn't from that area and really didn't know him. Chuck the drummer and the musicians in the area knew him and the rest of the band. They were pretty darn good.
I'd be down for that! I'd love to get some more documentation on Skywire, it's definitely a part of Kane Roberts' career that many people don't really know of. Most people I know of seem surprised when I bring it up since it's not particularly easy to find LOL.

Fingers crossed that it all works out! I'd bet that the members of Skywire who are still with us (Kane/Robert, Rusty, and Greg) would probably be amazed to hear that stuff again!

I'm pretty close with Kane, and Rusty and Greg are friends of mine as well, great guys all around! They've been pretty good with answering stuff about Skywire when I ask about it so I'm forever thankful for that!

I'd be down for that! I'd love to get some more documentation on Skywire, it's definitely a part of Kane Roberts' career that many people don't really know of. Most people I know of seem surprised when I bring it up since it's not particularly easy to find LOL.

Fingers crossed that it all works out! I'd bet that the members of Skywire who are still with us (Kane/Robert, Rusty, and Greg) would probably be amazed to hear that stuff again!

I'm pretty close with Kane, and Rusty and Greg are friends of mine as well, great guys all around! They've been pretty good with answering stuff about Skywire when I ask about it so I'm forever thankful for that!
Don't they have copies of their music? I got in touch with the drummer, waiting to hear from him. Chuck Burdick, Rusty should know him? I think they went to school together.
I used to heckle them sometimes for fun and would be calling out for some blues on that Strat. Ah, the good ole days. The song Louise is a poor showcase for the talent and energy they had.

Don't they have copies of their music? I got in touch with the drummer, waiting to hear from him. Chuck Burdick, Rusty should know him? I think they went to school together.
I used to heckle them sometimes for fun and would be calling out for some blues on that Strat. Ah, the good ole days. The song Louise is a poor showcase for the talent and energy they had.
I know Rusty has a copy of the Condition Red/Junior's Ready To Rock single, and Victor Ruzzo's wife (who I'm not in contact with but Greg is to my knowledge) has a lot of Skywire's stuff as Victor apparently kept track of a lot of that stuff! But I'm sure stuff has gotten lost or given away over time in terms of what the members of the band have, I know Kane's kinda prone to doing that especially as he focuses on the present moreso than the past. And of course, their memories may not be as sharp as they were back in the day, which explains why I hadn't heard of that song High As 99.

I should ask Rusty about Chuck when I get the chance, I'll let you know if it rings any bells for him!

Looking forward to hearing any updates on your end with that record!

I know Rusty has a copy of the Condition Red/Junior's Ready To Rock single, and Victor Ruzzo's wife (who I'm not in contact with but Greg is to my knowledge) has a lot of Skywire's stuff as Victor apparently kept track of a lot of that stuff! But I'm sure stuff has gotten lost or given away over time in terms of what the members of the band have, I know Kane's kinda prone to doing that especially as he focuses on the present moreso than the past. And of course, their memories may not be as sharp as they were back in the day, which explains why I hadn't heard of that song High As 99.

I should ask Rusty about Chuck when I get the chance, I'll let you know if it rings any bells for him!

Looking forward to hearing any updates on your end with that record!
Maybe it was Condition Red and the chorus was High as 99. That is a long time ago.

Maybe it was Condition Red and the chorus was High as 99. That is a long time ago.
That sounds possible! Whether it's a song title or lyrics to a song, it's still interesting to me! After all, I've only really heard a few of Skywire's songs, and only heard titles for others, not even lyrics or anything for the latter!

Back