Is it possible to actually email a human at Avid?

Hakea

Hi all,

Do any of you wise members know how to actually contact a human at Avid?

I've never encountered a company that seems so unshakeably determined to avoid any contact with their customers. :(

I bought an Mbox Pro audio interface yesterday which came bundled with Pro Tools 9, but with the commitment to a "Complimentary upgrade" to the current version 10. The spiel goes that when you register you get an 'automatic' email with details of how to download the upgrade. Fair enough, they can't really be expected to recall all the previous bundled stock whenever they do a software upgrade.

So I registered and got three emails back - one which was a copy of my registration details, and then two identical copies of another email which gave me details (and an activation number) for downloading three free plug-ins. But no mention of the promised upgrade to version 10.

I've spent fruitless hours trawling round their site, through endless automated answers to question I don't wish to ask, and pages that tell me nothing relevant. But so far, no sign of a local number to ring (I'm in Australia) or an email address to contact.

Anybody have any suggestions, or had any luck cracking the code of how to get through to them please?

Thanks,

Chris

I just checked out their site, and do not see any offices located in australia..and..when clicking on other various country`s, that list addresses perhaps..they all list this same number..

Tel: 978-640-6789

if this would be costly for you, I could call it as i have free long distance, and atleast see if i can get an actuall person on the line, that may be able to help me get a better/local? number for ya?

Thanks for that wonderfully generous offer mate. :)

I rather think that there aren't any local numbers here in Australia. I spoke to a guy at the shop where I bought it and he said that it's even hard for them, and when they put queries through they get shuttled off to Japan...

The "Pro Tools guy" at the music shop is coming in to work later and will apparently give me a ring, so he may have some clues or suggestions. I've also put a query up at the DUC Avid user forum where some of their staff glance through occasionally. So they might take pity on me eventually!

If I haven't had any joy in a couple of days I'll try that number you listed, after Christmas. Our long distance rates are pretty good now - not like they used to be.

Thanks again,

Chris

alright cool, and no problem..hope you get it all figured out soon..
have a great christmass!

AL

Thanks Al,

I'm pleased to say that you appear to have very powerful good wishes - there's been a happy ending already! :D

I got in touch with the young lad at the shop where I bought it and he was able to send a query through to Singapore, (I think he said).

It turned out to be one of those quirky chains of small things that conspire together....

The shop had told me that the ilok was already pre-authorised with a licence so I could just instal the software and use it all - which was true, it worked. But there was a yellow registration card in the box so I registered the kit anyway (plus setting up an ilok account) and then got the links and licences to download the three free plugins. That seemed like it ought to be enough.

What I didn't know what that there was a second yellow registration card that was purely for the Pro Tools 9, even though it was already authorised to run with the ilok. When I tipped all the booklets and disks out of the software box the card had remained stuck firmly to the cardboard on the inside, so I didn't see it. I also wasn't expecting to need to look for it either...:facepalm:

Ah well, I got there in the end, and only felt mildly foolish... The guy at the shop (who actually teaches Pro Tools) was kind enough to say that they get a lot of trouble with Avid registrations because the instructions aren't very clear..... So I saved a bit of face.... :)

Enjoy your Christmas too. Were expecting a hot sunny 30c here, so probably a fair bit different to you.

Cheers,

Chris

You should encourage that smart young lad at the shop to get with Avid, and have them train him to conduct seminars and/or training sessions on their gear. It would be a all 'round win for everyone.

Back