Is it ok to do this?

yeah you won't damage anything, but the level you get will be a lot lower than when you just plugged in one mic.
I use it sometimes for splitting the headphone out for more phones, but I always have to increase the volume of the bus.
And the quality doesn't improve either...

You can only split outputs you can't combine signals for an input. You have to use a mic preamp for every mic. What exactly are you trying to do?

Sounds like, unless I am reading this wrong, he wants to plug two channels from the mackie into one channel of the delta 66.

I think this 'might' work. I have used Y cables to combine stereo signals to mono... sounds like the same deal. The thing is that due to the way Y cables work the output of either channel will be directed not only into the input of the delta66, but also into the output of the other channel of the mixer! So its almost like connecting an output to an output. Will this cause a problem with the electronics inside? It might... dont know, dont think so.

Good luck.

Actually, it probably will work. There is probably a diode or something at the end of the mackie preventing a signal from getting back into the device. So basically your just combining 2 signals into one, which should work no problem. You will not be able to change the levels of the 2 signals separately after they are combined though... but I am sure you know that.

Anyway, don’t call me if you blow your shit up!
:D :D :D :D :D

But if your trying to do this with mics… not sure then. Two low impedance transducers wired in parallel might be a bad thing. I doubt you will hurt anything (provided your using dynamics and not phantom powered condensers) but you might affect the sound in a bad way. Might not though…

Let us know how it works out if you try it!

Yeah...The mixer has 4 mic preamps and i think 4 more 1/4 inch inputs. I was gonna buy a seperate preamp and go from that preamp to the 1/4 inch inputs on the mixer. Then from the mixer go to the Delta 66. The problem is the Delta 66 only has 4 inputs....and I wanted to mic my kit with 5 or 6 mics.

I used an y-cable like that a couple of years ago. It had a resistor inside to prevent the receiver from getting too high levels. That really degraded the sound.

/Anders

Why not mix the different mics together in the mixer instead of in a cable? You can't record them separately anyway...

/Anders

It will work, BUT, you will get a lot better result if you use a mic mixer, you know the 4 line in to one out. They don't cost very much and you will have a volume control for each mic. I use one for drums and sometimes for background vocals, they work fairly well when you dont need a lot of seperation.

Behringer MX802a.... 75 bucks, 8 channels, 4 mic pres. Thats less than 10$ a channel!

It will do the trick for you... you can run it's stereo outs into the ins of either the sound card or the mackie.

Back