Is it cheaper to buy a hardware synthesizer or software and hook up a keyboard?

MightyPOOsticK

And if its cheaper to use software could you give me some ideas of keyboards to use? Should it be midi? What are some good ones?

I'm totally newb to this but I really want some info on them...

Thanks!

For the most part software will be cheaper.

And if its cheaper to use software could you give me some ideas of keyboards to use? Should it be midi?
It needs to be MIDI, otherwise how else would you communicate with the computer running the softsynth?

But it doesn't need to have any onboard sounds. You can get some decent controllers that have no sounds and just send MIDI messages. Studio Logic (formerly Fatar) makes a bunch. Roland has a few, and so does M Audio/Midiman. What to get depends on what you can work with. If you're a real piano player you probably will hate the cheaper ones with small keys and crave a full-range (88-key) keyboard that feelsd more like a piano.

Awesome thanks for the reply....

Ok now....When I'm using midi...will there be any kind of noticeable delay between the keyboard and synth?

Also...what are some good software synths you guys recommend?

Yo Poo Poo Be Doo:

I have the DX7 synth -- yeah, I know it's an old one -- but it has so many possibilities.

Thus, I don't do midi; I record direct from the synth into my SIAB, 2816. But, with this one really built well synth, I have such a choice of sounds, plus the ability to tweak them, change them, etc.

I also use an 88 note stage piano by Korg -- it's a nice addition and has some good features and a great piano patch.

Depends on your tastes and likes and wallet. I don't use a PC program to record; but, as mentioned before, the 2816 is really a miniature PC in a box with a small screen and no mouse; however, a mouse can be used with the 4416. I'm not that much in a hurry when I'm recording anyways.

You don't need to get a DX7; however, you can take a long look at some workstations out there that have immense sounds and patches and tweaking, etc.

Depends on your goals and tastes and savvy.

Green Hornet :D :p :p :cool:

Back