Interference of some sort?

bthiesson

I recently acquired yet another old junker to replace my previous old junker.
475Mhz AMD K6
256m Ram
Win 98
Cakewalk PA8

I have installed two PCI soundcards...SBLive and TB Santa Cruz and they both work ok for midi, Soundfonts, etc.
When I try to record vocals, there is a tremendous amount of interference. It happens on both cards, and it happened on each of them as a single installation, as well. My voice gets recorded, as well as a lot of static and all the midi tracks that are playing. Is this a problem with windows? Or in cakewalk? I can't seem to find anything to change anymore. Any ideas?

Try disabling everything else on the pci slots and see what happens. Sometimes other things on there (network cards, etc.) can interfere with your soundcard.
And it sounds like maybe you don't have cakewalk configured properly. I haven't used it in quite awhile (learning curve, I need it simple), but I remember there is a setting where it will record all the other tracks you have along with a new one if it's not configured properly. I am sorry I can't be much help with that, I'm a dummy when it comes to cakewalk, which is why I stopped using it... But look at your settings and see how it's configured to record....

I'm using a tascam mixer and SM57. They're connected the same as always. Should I disable the onboard sound? This evening the whole thing quit working altogether. Windows just kept loading and shutting down over and over. I'm going to reload the whole thing and go really slow until I get it to work. Any other advice would be really welcome.

bthiesson said:
I'm using a tascam mixer and SM57. They're connected the same as always. Should I disable the onboard sound? This evening the whole thing quit working altogether. Windows just kept loading and shutting down over and over. I'm going to reload the whole thing and go really slow until I get it to work. Any other advice would be really welcome.
It may be a problem with your processor and RAM.... many of the pc experts on here will tell you that you need a really fast processor and at least 512mb RAM. I had a similar problem with my old pc (128mb RAM) when I tried to run a video/audio capture device. It was too much for my processor to handle. I think you will find that if you at least upgrade the RAM, you may have more success. I would try to find out the max RAM your motherboard can handle and upgrade it.
I hope this was helpful, I know I couldn't offer much... :o

I'm inclined to believe you're right Rokket. I did install a stick of memory that may be suspect. It's a good place to start. The stuff I'm doing isn't particularly demanding, and my former computer handled it easily with a smaller processor. Thanks for the ideas.

Back