Interface without pre-amps?

punkin

Univalve & Avatar Speaks
Is there such a beast? I'm finding that all the new Firewire interfaces have built in mic-pres which usually cannot be bypassed. Is there an interface that has no mic pres but rather just line inputs for the guy that has plenty of external stand-alone mic pres?

lynx aurora 8 or 16, apogee rosetta 200 800 and apogee 16 a/d or d/a, none of these have mic pres. there expensive but excellent converters, i'm sure there are others too.

Motu828mkIII. I have used a mkII for years.

2 preamps (but you can go line-in to them) and 8 line-ins and outs on the back.
Solid as a rock.

You can even put 2 more on the firewire chain under the same driver and have 30 line in/outs....

Hmmm...ok...so, is it "converters" I'm searching for. Boy you're not kidding some of those are down right expensive...I don't get it...no mic-pres and they're more expensive than the ones that have them built in.

Okay if you just need straight a/d with no pre-amps I'm using an M-Audio Delta 1010 rackmount unit(3). Their A/D and DA and sound pretty good for what they are.
However they use a PCI card (internal card) for the PC in order to hook them up. I pick them up off craigslist for about 275.00 to 300.00
The Units can be chained together. Right now I use my pre-amps "direct out" in my mackie board to feed the A/D converters.
Recently I picked up a Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer with a firewire interface. The mixer also has direct outs, so I ran them into the delta 1010's to compare.
Anyhow there are devices out there, best of luck finding an interface

cheers
RJ

Thanks RJ...great ideas but, you hit my problem on the head. My new PC doesn't support the full-sized PCI cards. My old PC is equipped with two 1010LT cards which I'm absolutely happy with. I'm beginning to wonder if I should be researching different mother boards instead of new audio interface solutions. I have a new HP I7 core machine with only one available PCI-express port...not sure if I could simply purchase a better motherbaord to install into the case or not. The PC came to me as a gift some time ago so, it wasn't researched/purchased with DAW in mind. The new machine has a lot more available "horse-power". I7 core, 8GB RAM and a terrabyte in hard drive space. I'm trying to make this machine work for me so that I can abandon my old machine.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Back