Interesting Stat

ashulman

I work with numbers by trade so this popped out at me and I thought it was interesting. Has anyone noticed that the ratio of responses to views is VERY consistently around 10-15%? I wonder why that is? Are there a number of people lurking about who don't post? Or is it that only 1 in 10 posts catch people's interest?

I would like to think it's because most people don't post unless they have something to contribute to the conversation. Who wants to read a bunch of posts that say "yeah, I agree" or "me too"?

BTW what does this have to do with the forum topic (mixing)? :D

DonF said - BTW what does this have to do with the forum topic (mixing)?

Nothing, but its like meditation. Sometimes its good to clear your mind thinking about something else so you can start with fresh ears again.

Either that or I'm just a geek who thinks that stuff is cool.

Probably the latter.

At a business I owned quite a few years ago, there was a guitarist that hung out there a lot a lot. He helped me with a few things from time to time. He was inquisitive about things some folks would pass on by. One day he told me he had noticed that the drink machine out front sold more Coke and Sprite than it did anything else. I hadn`t paid any attention to it, so it caught my interest and we watched for a few days. Sure enough even though there were a couple other brands as popular, most selected coke or either sprite. We deducted that most people are naturally lazy and would have to bend over twice if they selected anything else. Once to push the button and 2nd to get the bottle out of the machine. so its probably the same thing here, unless it really yanks their chain they only read and move to the next. Some may not post out of inhibition, which once they do a few times it is more freely done :)

Toki987 said:
We deducted that most people are naturally lazy and would have to bend over twice if they selected anything else.
Or maybe it's just that more people like Coke and Sprite.

:p

:D

...and to answer ashulman's inquiry... I don't think there's that high of a ratio of lurkers/posters.

Every time you post in a thread, it becomes of interest to you... that means, every time you hit the clinic, you're gonna check to see if anything new was said that you want to reply to. Every time I stop in, I'll check through all the threads that I've been posting in... I may not have anything to add... I just want to see where the conversation is going. I may do this a few times an hour (depending on if I'm surfing the net at the time) Take that and multiply it by the number of people who are involved in any given thread and the views/posts ratio can get pretty high just from people coming back to check on it.

Sure... there are plenty of people who don't post or rarely post... but I don't think it's as high as it may seem just by looking at views vs. posts.

WATYF

WATYF - You are probably right. However, I am struck by the consistency of the behavior. Take a look at any post that's been viewed a decent amount and you will find the numbers check out. I'm an actuary by trade so this interests me since results like this usually indicate some underlying form or reason.

Now I hope all our minds and ears are fresh so we can get back to the business at hand. Sorry for going off the rails a bit.

very interesting...

I too am a complete and total nerd, so I actually find this stuff intriguing. :p

I only found 4 exceptions on the whole front page, and all of those were very low post-count threads. (i.e. 4 posts/60 views)

I would also say that the more prevalent average is a little bit more narrow... around the 10-13% range. Very odd.

(Excuse me while I retire to the nerdery with my fellow nerds.)

:p

WATYF

Let Khompewtur process:

*whirrrr* *chugga chugga* *beep*

IF RATING IS NULL THEN RATING = 3.5

VIEWS = POSTERS * (POSTS + (RATING/5))

I wrote up a quick VB script that Slack can run in the background of the BSS...

this should take care of our problem....

*************BEGIN CODE**************

Code:
Sub LurkerPatrol()

Dim HRcom As Range

For Each Mmbr In HRcom.BBS

If (HRcom.Member.PostCount / HRcom.Member.ViewCount < 0.1) _

And HRcom.Member.UserName <> "Erland" Then 'exclude Erland, cause he's cool.

MsgBox "Stop lurking and post something, dammit!!!", vbCritical, "Lurker Alert"

Else

MsgBox "Thanks for visiting HR.com.", vbOKOnly, "User Message"

End If

Next Mmbr

End Sub
*************END CODE*************

WATYF

Last edited:
funny thing is... if you paste that into a VB editor, it actually looks like a legitimate piece of code... :p

WATYF

Did you know 50% of people would make up a fact just to make an interesting post? :D

The other 53% of people would have a figure that doesn't add up :D

3 types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't :D

My doctor told me I wasn't paying attention to him, atleast I think that's what he said :D

WATYF - I am actually laughing out loud reading your script. I think people write lol when they are not actually laughing out loud but want you to think they are.

But what really came first, the chicken or the egg? ...
:confused:

Statistics may show that the egg came first, but we all know that the chicken had to come first, otherwise there wouldn't be an egg ...

Couldn't Let This Gem Drop Off The Page

Yeah, my last thread had over 100 replies (but that includes my posts, so more like 12)...but anyway, according to my NWR stats, only 5 people listened to the song...

People just like to bust my chops on Autotune, lol...DEBUG THAT, WATYF!!

And don't forget this...

The angle of the dangle is directly related to the heat of the beat.

Back