Intel vs. AMD

Ko17

I am buying a new computer soon and want to know which company of processors is better. And what specific type of processor to get (Duo-core/X2)...thanks

The intel core 2 duo e 6300 is one i hear everyone raving about, my parents own the amd 64 x2 3800+ and that is really fast. I heard the intels are faster though.
Check TomsHardware.com they have a wealth of information on everything computer, or even HDTV related.

lol

I like both.

Currently the best deal for the buck would be the c2d 6420 or what everyone's buying the 6600 is a great chip. Nothing an overclocked 6420 could do... The word "Slower" now-a-days on AMD/Intel chips don't mean much. Chips like the Opteron, or Xeon, or C2D's are fast regardless. Enough to meet the needs of many individuals day in and day out. As to which company is better, both are excellent chip designers. Both got great tech behind it.

I'm on a Dual Core Amd 4400+ w/ 4 gigs of ram on an Asus Motherboard.My dad just bought a dou core Intel. They're both fast as hell.

cool cool thanks guys, as much as I would like to go Mac, the deals that Dell is offering right now are tough to argue with...20 inch flat screen, 2GB of ram, 250GB hard drive, and intel core-duo for like 750-800...does anyone know of anything better than this?

Maybe its different in the US but in Australia, dell computers are more expensive and pretty average quality parts.

I strongly recommend not buying a dell, or any brand name computer for music recording. You will get more bang for your buck if you go to your local computer shop and have one built for you. If you go to a computer parts wholesaler, and buy the parts, most places charge a very small fee to put it together.

It will be a bit of effort, but get the exact specs of what dell has on offer including what type of; mobo, brand ram, brand HDD's and cache size, vid card, power supply and anything else you can think of, and take that list to a local computer shop and see what they can build the same machine for. I really don't know why anyone buys brand name computers any more.

Am i alone on this one?

wreckd504 said:
Maybe its different in the US but in Australia, dell computers are more expensive and pretty average quality parts.

I strongly recommend not buying a dell, or any brand name computer for music recording. You will get more bang for your buck if you go to your local computer shop and have one built for you. If you go to a computer parts wholesaler, and buy the parts, most places charge a very small fee to put it together.

It will be a bit of effort, but get the exact specs of what dell has on offer including what type of; mobo, brand ram, brand HDD's and cache size, vid card, power supply and anything else you can think of, and take that list to a local computer shop and see what they can build the same machine for. I really don't know why anyone buys brand name computers any more.

Am i alone on this one?

A lot of people don't know shit about computers, how to put one together, what any of the stuff in the description means, etc. My friend got a Dell to record on. I wouldn't recommend a Dell either if you know what you're doing and can build one yourself.

The MB in there seems to be pretty standard, it'd be easy to add/remove PCI cards, etc. So he could always get an interface meant for recording. He got a really good deal on the hardware he has in that machine too, plus a warranty and support.

I remember before the Core2Duo, AMD was always recommended. I still have one in my computer from over 6 years ago and it runs fine and seems to handle pretty much everything I throw at it. It's very outdated though. Everything runs smooth but it can't handle a shitload of CPU intensive plugins like my friend's Dell can. You can add a million plugins on that thing and it runs real smooth, especially on Reaper.

It's the stuff under the covers where the brand names cut corners. They'll use budget boards with older/slower chipsets, minimal extra slots, no heatpipe cooling etc. etc. They'll use cheap generic ram, share it with onboard graphics etc.

As long as it's 'dual core' with a big flash LCD screen, most punters don't care and they don't need to.

However if you're going to be mixing several dozen tracks, running softsynths and plugins, then this the stuff you need to care about.

Danny i wasn't suggesting he build it himself, however that wouldn't be such a bad way to go. I was saying you can buy the parts from a computer supermarket, and pay you're local computer shop to put it together for you.

I agree bulls hit. You definately want good quality parts, which as you already stated is how dell etc make money. If you're just word processing, downloading and whatever else it is non-musical people do with their pc's, then all will be fine. But once you start using it for video/audio applications you'll notice things go pear shaped.

So then how about a mac? are the internals that they use cheap? or are they of better quality than dell?

Also are their sites where I can price a custom built PC, with the quality parts mentioned above?

You can price out a custom PC for audio at a number of places. If you go with a turnkey dealer, they should be able to get you a package that will work corectly and be st up for audio. Check out ADK or Sonica, as both should be able to acomidate your needs, but be warned the price will be a good bit more than a mass produced office computer (the Dell). You do get a great difference in quality though, so it may well be worth it to spend the extra dough and get a rig that will work.

Find out what parts ADK or Sonica use from the spec sheet, then find your local computer supermarket and price how much it would be to buy the parts seperately adding labour costs (usually under 100 bucks) and see what the price difference is.

Also the Audio PC computer companies may offer a term of user support which is something to factor in to the value if you think you may be needing help setting things up.

Last edited:
Ko17 said:
So then how about a mac? are the internals that they use cheap? or are they of better quality than dell?

Identical parts as a dell, made by the exact same place in China (Foxconn)

I've been using AMD all my life. Honestly, they are no better or worse than Intel, I just find AMD chips a better value.

Back