Intel HD Graphics

malgovert

Hi

I have just noticed one of the computers I am thinking of buying has an integrated Intel HD Graphics 1x VGA, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI - is that as good as any other video card such as NVidia GeForce or would it be a cheaper option? Thanks.

Cheers

M.

Intel integrated graphics are generally intended for business users who are going to run productivity applications like Microsoft Office. It is a very poor option for running applications like games that want fast 3D rendering.

What do you want your computer to do?

Music programs do not need accelerated graphics, so an integrated card is OK.
As RWhite pointed out, business programs are also OK with basic integrated graphics.

If you want to play games, yes you will need a gamer video card.

For the record: Intel Integrated Graphics do have hardware acceleration for 3D. The 3D performance is just really terrible compared to anything made by Nvidia or ATI. The cards can't push many triangles onto the screen, they can't fill polygons quickly, and their shader support sucks.

However, none of this is relevant to recording programs. As long as you aren't gaming, you will be fine.

One other thing to bear in mind
Even a cheap, older gen, after market has it's own RAM built in
Integrated graphics do not, they get RAM from from the system

If you are a heavy sample user a graphics card may help you free up some system RAM for your samples.

One other thing to bear in mind
Even a cheap, older gen, after market has it's own RAM built in
Integrated graphics do not, they get RAM from from the system

If you are a heavy sample user a graphics card may help you free up some system RAM for your samples.

That is usually true. However some integrated graphic systems today have their own dedicated graphic memory. You have to check the individual specs.

OK thanks a lot. It is as I suspected.

I don't usually play games but since I am getting a new computer I thought I might have a go...

Can I install a proper graphics card to override the integrated HD graphics?

Cheers

M.

In most cases, yes. You can disable the on-board video in the BIOS and install a card. You have to make sure your case will fit one though; many of the "corporate" designed PCs like Dell use a "low profile" design that doesn't have a full-height card slot.

When you shop for video cards you will see some that advertise "comes with a low profile back plane"; that means you can remove the full height metal back plane from the video card and replace it with an included shorter one for low height machines.

Does the mobo have an open, unobstructed PCI-E slot? Does the machine have a power supply that has PCI-E power connectors available to power a card? Is the power supply rated to actually run the card at load?

Does the mobo have an open, unobstructed PCI-E slot? Does the machine have a power supply that has PCI-E power connectors available to power a card? Is the power supply rated to actually run the card at load?

All excellent questions, especially the power supply. Again, many "corporate" PCs like Dell have a power supply that is just barely big enough to power the PC itself. And upgrading the power supplies can be a bitch because they are proprietary sizes.

Again, it all depends on the particular PC.

Back