Instrumental Metal Track Feedback

J.M.

"Wrong Impressions" is one of my own projects. I recorded the guitars, mixed and kinda mastered. Today I will reevaluate some aspects of the mix and tomorrow I will sit down to master it. I would like to hear your thoughts on the process. I include a short snippet of the track. I had some trouble with the snare on this one as it refused to sit tightly where I wanted. Anyone's 2 cents on this will be greatly appreciated.

Some general info on the track:

Drums are programmed (I am open to collaborations if you are a drummer ha!)
Guitars I used the Archetype Plini and also reamped with a sound from Axe FX 2 (4 rhythm tracks in total)
Bass I got a DI and a track with Darkglass (I think)
There are some synths (pads, Hammond, Piano, etc) in the track that I tried for them to fit nicely.

If the arrangement is short, notify me to upload a full version.

Thank you
John

Attachments

• Wrong Impressions Mix Master Temporary 3.6.mp3
    4.3 MB · Views: 18
The track has a very "live" type of feel to it. I could hear some slight background sounds/noise before the track started. Although I like the track a lot as I'm a big fan of instrumental music, I wish the drums didn't sound so programmed for this type of genre. Also, if I were you I would reduce the reverb on the guitars (maybe drums too), as they seem to be pushing the instruments too far back in the mix. I feel that this track is missing some warmth and it needs to be more "in your face." But, please note that I'm new to mixing as well and so you could just take my feedback as personal opinion.

I listened on my computer speakers, for what I can hear, the snare is kinda overpowering the mix, and it sounds very sampled, all the hits are the same. I may try to humanize it a bit, changing the velocities of the hits. Also, the guitars are a bit dark, but that is just my opinion.

I don't agree with the snare being "programmed" statement. I can accept this statement for the crashes ..not the snare. There are a lot of elements that differentiate this snare from a version of other snares that just go boom. This one has ghost notes and dynamics. But it has to be heard also, so appropriate treatment like compression EQing and saturation was necessary for it to cut through. Thank you for the feedback though. If I had a drummer maybe - just maybe - I would ask him to record this. Of course, that would be preferable, but also costly and given the situation with music production nowadays I wonder if it the best route for my own music at least.

Here is where I have gone with the track and I consider it 85% ready. The track has also Lead guitars that I am mixing right now.

Cheers
John

Attachments

• Wrong Impressions Mix Master Temporary 3.8.mp3
    19 MB · Views: 5
Anyway..this is where the track led me. If anyone has thoughts on this I will gladly listen.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Wrong Impressions Master 2.2.mp3
    19.1 MB · Views: 4
Back