Installing string furrules

patlang12

I just got guitar parts from warmoth and I started building my guitar. It is a hardtail strat and I am trying to install the string furrules. They seem too big for the holes that were drilled for them. Should I pound them in with a rubber hammer? I am pretty scared of that idea. Any suggestions will be good. Thanks a lot!

I would drill them out a bit-wood will split if you try to force the ferrules in. I am building a tele kit and decided to go thru the body with my strings too, I believe that I drilled mine out to 21\64ths for a snug but not too tight a fit. I dont know if the ferrules are a standard size, mine are the allparts brand if thats any extra help to you.

I'm sure Light will be along any minute now to explain things better than I can, but here I go anyways. :D
When my dad and I built my guitar, we actually made the holes a tiny bit too small on purpose, just to make sure that the ferrules wouldn't come out. Not too much though, because we didn't want to damage the guitar. Then we just pounded them in.

Do you have a size for the ferrule diameter? It will be a standard size. I would normally mic them but not everyone has a micrometer. With wood there is always the danger of splitting if you make the size too small. Try drilling a bit of scrap out size for size. Does it tap in lightly? If so drill that size , if it is sloppy reduce the size by 1/64. If you use scrap you can split it to reuse the ferrule.
You can always put a bit of epoxy round them for the final fit. When they are in use the string pressure holds them in anyway.

Ferrules normally fit pretty tight. Try a test hole in a piece of wood. Drill it all the way thru, so you can push the ferrule back out.If the guitar already has a finish on it, you may want to grind the holes a bit to keep the ferrule from "pushing" the finish. Use a cone shaped grinding bit,and be careful not to take too much. It won't effect how tightly it fits. If it has a good coat of polyester, or whatever, and you don't cut the paint back a bit, the wood will expand enough to pop the finish up. It'll look like 6 little fisheyes around your ferrules. It''ll ruin your day....

This goes for any hole that you are going to put a screw into. Bridge studs, tailpiece studs, strap buttons, pick-up bezel screws. Yeah, most of these won't be exposed anyway, but the lifted finish can spread. If the finish is very thin, this usually won't happen, but suppliers mostly lay the paint on real heavy to make it look extra glossy. It's like working with an egg shell, brittle and easily cracked.

If you have access to a drill press, put a bolt in it (thread first) and cover the blunt end with tape. You can use it as a press to gently push ferrules and studs into place. It's much smoother and less risky than tapping them in with a hammer. Good luck!

They are supposed to be tight, so don't drill them out just yet. If you can tap them in lightly, then they fit right (I use a block of wood as a caul, and either a small brass hammer or a dead blow hammer). If you need to hit them very hard, then I would call Warmoth and see what they have to say. They are pretty cool to deal with, in my experience. They may say that you have a different kind of ferrule than they designed for (there are a couple different kinds, and as I don't use them in my own guitars I'm not sure what the measurements are on them). If it seems like they are so tight that they just WILL NOT fit, then call Warmoth and get their view on the matter.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I will only add that it is important that the ferrules be tight. A bandmate of mine had a hardtail Strat with those things. He broke a string once and didn't realize that the ferrule had come out with the rivet. He poked a new string in and brought it up to pitch without realizing anything was wrong. Not until the next time he broke a string in that position, that is; then he had a real mess on his hands getting the rivet out from where it had gotten impacted into the wood at the bottom of the hole.

when i had trouble installing my ferrules after long consideration i desided to slam them in with a 10 pound hammer. that went wrong.

Thanks for all the replys. I have contacted warmoth. They said to just use a lot of force. They reccommended against using any type of hammer. I think the sizes should be right because warmoth drilled the holes and sold me the furrules so I am not really sure what I want to do...

The other possibility, if you have a drill press, is to put some kind of a ram in the drill press (a bolt, for instance), and then use a block of wood as a caul, and (with the drill press off), use the drill press to push the ferules in.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back