Input needed, thanks!

flat-9

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2683&alid=-1 YO ANTHONY! is the drum demo.

(Ya, Those are his feet double timing on the last few bars!)I'm entering my 16 year old son, Anthony, in a couple of drummer competition this year and a Tama & Sabian sponsorship deal.

I know 'jack' about recording drums but I think this might be acceptable with a few tweaks. Did I add to much verb? Should his snares be on? (He prefers off but I think it needs them on this beast for ambiant variety.) does the EQ suck? MR-8 to Cool Edit Pro is what I have to work with.

Remember, this is a drum competition and not a recording skills comp, however , I do want to represent him with a respectable recording and I value your input to the utmost! Should I simply drop a few C notes and have it done professionally?:confused: I prefer the challenge personally.......plus we have 5 kids.:eek:

(I think I should put my sampled drums in the attic with this kid in the house. It is SO COOL HAVING a son who lives , eats , breathe and s**** music . (FATHER first mind you, but GREAT friend.):D

thanks and all comments pos & neg will be well rec'd,
flat-9

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2683&alid=-1 YO ANTHONY!

Last edited:
I dont know jack about recording them the proper way, but it sounds like there`s just a bit too much ambience. Otherewise, not bad at all. His 6/8 presentation will have my skin puckered like an ostrich for the rest of the day, thats homeland. :)

WOW!!!!!!!! He IS a great drummer! I would love to jam with him.. I'm gonna agree with Toki about maybe there is too much ambience.. also, those cymbals get too dynamic.. very nice playing though.. Can't see why you would ever want to use canned drums when you have that in the house.. As an added bonus, since he's your son, you can force him to lay drum tracks for you.. :)

B.SABBATH said:
WOW!!!!!!!! He IS a great drummer! I would love to jam with him.. I'm gonna agree with Toki about maybe there is too much ambience.. also, those cymbals get too dynamic.. very nice playing though.. Can't see why you would ever want to use canned drums when you have that in the house.. As an added bonus, since he's your son, you can force him to lay drum tracks for you.. :)

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH Sab, I 'm pissin my pants..........I have a hard enough time gettin him to shovel the driveway w/ me!
(Kinda reminds me of YOU Sabby! OH, Man..........I'm in trouble!:D

Attachments

• anthony_end.jpg
    anthony_end.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 226
Toki987 said:
His 6/8 presentation will have my skin puckered like an ostrich for the rest of the day, thats homeland. :)

So I'm not just a proud, biased daddy????????
Thanks Tok. I luv ya man! ( In a manly way!!of course!) BAHAAAAHAHAHAHAJA!

Damn fine drummimg!

The kid has chops! Chip off the old block, eh?:D

What did you use for mics/pres? Whatever it was I think you had the gain set too high. Lot of splatter on the transients. Drums often peak much higher than the meters show. Use your ears to set the gain.;)

For guerilla drum recordings many times less is more- mics that is. I find I get better sounding drums by using 2-3 mics and taking more time on the placement. I use a pair of omnis to capture the whole kit, and a cardioid dynamic inside the kick for punch. You can play with moving tracks in CEP to adjust the stereo image, but if your placement isn't in the ballpark your sunk.

Don't overlook mono either. Some of my best drum recording were done with 2 mics: one overhead, and one out front mixed to mono. Mono drums can kick some serious ass.....

:cool:

flat-9 said:
(Kinda reminds me of YOU Sabby! OH, Man..........I'm in trouble!:D

I wasn't kiddin'........see whatI mean????????....love you too,............in of course, that manly way.:D

Attachments

• sabby.bmp
    56.9 KB · Views: 54
Re: Damn fine drummimg!

M.Brane said:
The kid has chops! Chip off the old block, eh?:D

What did you use for mics/pres? Whatever it was I think you had the gain set too high. Lot of splatter on the transients. Drums often peak much higher than the meters show. Use your ears to set the gain.;)

For guerilla drum recordings many times less is more- mics that is. I find I get better sounding drums by using 2-3 mics and taking more time on the placement. I use a pair of omnis to capture the whole kit, and a cardioid dynamic inside the kick for punch. You can play with moving tracks in CEP to adjust the stereo image, but if your placement isn't in the ballpark your sunk.

Don't overlook mono either. Some of my best drum recording were done with 2 mics: one overhead, and one out front mixed to mono. Mono drums can kick some serious ass.....

:cool:

Brane,

WAY COOL! I can always count on you, man, the fact that your advice is usually spot on , and 'your product 'reflects it .
I respect all the posts that I've ever come across in the past 6 months that have come from your wisdom.:cool:

BTW..........2 SM-58s & an Fostex MR-8.
but let me tell you, your advise will be utilized and thank you for letting me know that I can achieve a good sound for my
son w/out having to 2nd mortgage the house!

You the man! Thanks again bro,
Ralph

Last edited:
I just pop in to say:

:eek:

Wow, your son rules!

I would listen to M Brane....looks like he knows what he's talking about. (I have no idea, was too flabbergasted by your son's playing)

Btw, my wife fancies your son. She thinks he's hot!

Yea ,Ped....my wife agrees with your wife.Go figure two women agreeing....:rolleyes:

Anyway.WOW this kid has chops.Is he in a band or is he in band?Like at school.I gotta hear hima play with other people.I've heard some of the greatest musicians.But when it comes time to get together with a band...they can't play for shit.He would be perfect for my current band.Our drummer sucks moose cock.Plus he's good lookin(see Above comment).Too much presence on the cymbals.They push all the other frequencies outta their way,especially the china.(overhead mics?)I like the kick but the toms my need new skins or you put too much verb in the mix.All of that don't mean shit cuz his playing is excellent.I like what Sam said about forcing him to lay drum trax.I can't wait to force my children to perform,actually it's already begun.Not crazy with the snare sound either,too flat for my taste.I like more ping than pop...only a personal pref.But first things first...get him into a band and make sure none of the other members are flakey or on drugs(like I was).Talent seeks itself and if it's really his true passion thatn he'll find people to help him achieve his potential.Actually I'm jealous that I can't recruit him and that I can't play like that and that he's good looking and young and I'm the opposite(funny looking and immature).Enter him and watch him shine.Greatest of luck to you sir and would you mind if I did something with the song?I'ts like great sounding pre-recorded(canned ) drums.I have an Idea already and with your permission I'd like to turn it into song...really.Later dude!!!

Hehe, my wife actually said: finally a drummer who isn't bald and ugly! (I always drag her to avantgarde jazz concerts you know, ever seen a jazz drummer from downtown NY with hair?)

Pedullist said:
I just pop in to say:

:eek:

Wow, your son rules!

I would listen to M Brane....looks like he knows what he's talking about. (I have no idea, was too flabbergasted by your son's playing)

Btw, my wife fancies your son. She thinks he's hot!

Your wife may have to wait in line, ( boy am I in for trouble!) But then again, I'd rather go through the shit w/ him as opposed to what transpired w/ my older girls....... ( see the thread in the cave " Let's post pictures of ourselves".........we're in the late 20's pages! I'd love to see i pic of you & the mrs! Your avatar looks looks like MR. BEAN!!!!!!!!( Roland Atkins)...the funniest man alive!!!!!!

peace ped,
Ralph

W.I.S.C. said:
Yea ,Ped....my wife agrees with your wife.Go figure two women agreeing....:rolleyes:

Anyway.WOW this kid has chops.Is he in a band or is he in band?Like at school.I gotta hear hima play with other people.I've heard some of the greatest musicians.But when it comes time to get together with a band...they can't play for shit.He would be perfect for my current band.Our drummer sucks moose cock.Plus he's good lookin(see Above comment).Too much presence on the cymbals.They push all the other frequencies outta their way,especially the china.(overhead mics?)I like the kick but the toms my need new skins or you put too much verb in the mix.All of that don't mean shit cuz his playing is excellent.I like what Sam said about forcing him to lay drum trax.I can't wait to force my children to perform,actually it's already begun.Not crazy with the snare sound either,too flat for my taste.I like more ping than pop...only a personal pref.But first things first...get him into a band and make sure none of the other members are flakey or on drugs(like I was).Talent seeks itself and if it's really his true passion thatn he'll find people to help him achieve his potential.Actually I'm jealous that I can't recruit him and that I can't play like that and that he's good looking and young and I'm the opposite(funny looking and immature).Enter him and watch him shine.Greatest of luck to you sir and would you mind if I did something with the song?I'ts like great sounding pre-recorded(canned ) drums.I have an Idea already and with your permission I'd like to turn it into song...really.Later dude!!!

YO! ,

Thanks for the quick response and detailed suggestions. Every comment is well rec'd & will be utilized on our next 'trip to the cellar'.

Both the 4/4 and 6/8 segments are excerpts from tunes in his band, MANIFEST. But I'm sure he'd love to see what you could do w/ it........permission granted!

You can check out the band (FUCKIN KICKS SERIOUS HARDCORE METAL ASS) @ http://www.manifestmass.com/
The message board is risky for young ones, though

Thanks dude!
flat-9

flat-9 said:
Your wife may have to wait in line, ( boy am I in for trouble!) But then again, I'd rather go through the shit w/ him as opposed to what transpired w/ my older girls....... ( see the thread in the cave " Let's post pictures of ourselves".........we're in the late 20's pages! I'd love to see i pic of you & the mrs! Your avatar looks looks like MR. BEAN!!!!!!!!( Roland Atkins)...the funniest man alive!!!!!!

peace ped,
Ralph

Well, have a look at the pictures of my wedding! (I married her pretty recently, actually)

It's Rowan Atkinson btw (how's that for nitpicking?). And you're not the first one who sees a resemblance. My wife thinks Rowan is a sexy man, so that explains a lot... :D

Pedullist said:
Well, have a look at the pictures of my wedding! (I married her pretty recently, actually)

It's Rowan Atkinson btw (how's that for nitpicking?). And you're not the first one who sees a resemblance. My wife thinks Rowan is a sexy man, so that explains a lot... :D

MR. & MRS. PED!

GREAT WEDDING SHOTS! Man, Don't blow it..........She's definitly got the looks & intuition here! Oh, BTW, You have the talent & creativity! NiiiiiiiiiiCE combination!

Also, Rowan Atkinson is his stage name. His baptismal records state " Roland Atkins".. :D

I've been loving her for the last eleven years so I doubt if I ever be able to blow it (she was/is my first girlfriend ever too, btw...met her at 18, I'm now 29...what can I say?.....she rules, never felt a need to check out other girls...she's the one.....excuse me, I'm getting sentimental :D)

Thanks for your nice words!

About Roland Atkins, gee are you a fan? ;)

Excuse me for spoiling your thread with this!

DRUM RECORDING

Edited drum mix up at nowhere, { YO ANTHONY }

Any improvment? (Take 2) . Thank you for the expert advise on take #1. All suggestions utilized but I still need more input! I plan to re-record him soon, esp to WISC, with the snares ON for more ping but there 's nothing I can do about it till then:rolleyes:

Thank you all!
Ralph

Last edited:
Much cleaner!

The cymbals actually have a ring now rather than a splat!:D

You need to work on the imaging. The kick on the R and the snare on the L seems kind of lopsided to me. I don't necessarily like 'em dead center (some do) but I try to imagine sitting in front of the kit. Some people mix like they're sitting behind it. It can be tough to get things perfectly centered and keep the rest balanced with just two mics.

Big improvement though!:)

Hey flat, are you guys in Mass still having a tough winter like we are in Maine? :rolleyes:
Nice to see a fellow New Englander on the board! :D

The kid's got stamina! Impressive.

Sounded like the snare was panned left? I would say, if you can, tighten up the stereo field a little (less panning) and cut a little reverb back some.

Yep he rocks. Look forward to hearing your recording of his band some day.

SLuiCe said:
Hey flat, are you guys in Mass still having a tough winter like we are in Maine? :rolleyes:
Nice to see a fellow New Englander on the board! :D
........I'll take this one. Yes, SLuiCe. It sucks. Went to Fenway last Wed. and froze my ass off.

Ralph,
I was only able to stream in lofi so I couldn't really critique the mix, but yer boy has some chops, man.

I see his band plays all the garden spots (Lowell, Lawrence, Haverhill):rolleyes: .

I also wanted to chime in to say thanks for the listen on my new tune and my jazz tune. I really enjoyed Bedlam. Had it cranking at work today. I was a big ELP fan growing up and the B3 stuff you were playing really brought that back.

Back