Indian Indie Rock Mix Review

Birdie07

Hi! I'm a producer from India. Indie Rock isn't really big here but I love making this kind of music! I recently produced this Indie Rock track and would be so grateful for some feedback. Any advice on the mix? The arrangement? Anything I did wrong? Anything you didn't like? Anything you liked? Any feedback, good or bad, will we immensely appreciated and would greatly contribute to improving my future productions!
Thank you!

Yeah, I was trying to set the lead guitar up so that it doesn't lose any of it's notes to the mix. Now that I listen to it, That may have led me to set it up louder than it should have been. :/ Hey! Thank you for your feedback man. I really appreciate it. :)

I thought that was really good. I'd hardly call that "indie rock", though. Funny how people throw that around now.

The chorus was a little...predictable. The kick is flabby and weak. The vocal sounds glitchy/auto-tuned (?) at times, but otherwise that's an excellent mix.

What would you call it then? Hmm, Any tips on improving the kick sound? There's no autotune on the vocals, some slight pitch corrections, though I did have to time stretch a few parts here and there cuz the singer couldn't really hold his breath. I think I did a poor job of editing out the breaths and lipsmacks and adding fades which may have led to the glitchy sound (There was just a lot of breathing and general noisiness going on with the vox track.). :| Hey! Thank you so much man. Your comments were so helpful! :D

It was a nice song, but I wouldn't call it rock.

The lead vocal was well sung. It was a little cloudy and missing just a bit of high end. Like there needs to be a cut somewhere around 500hz and a boost above 5Khz.

The distorted guitars sounded pretty good. I might dial in a little less gain. They were a little mushy.

The bass was a db or two loud IMO.

The lead guitar sounded pretty good. It had just a bit too much bite. Maybe a cut somewhere around 2400hz.

Pitch correction is more-or-less autotune for purposes of artifacting.

Yeah, I'd call this pop (maybe power pop) rather than indie rock.

That lead at the beginning feels a bit mid-rangey maybe. It fits once the vocals kick in tho.

The emo-style vocal might be a touch loud.

It's a good mix overall though. Those are all pretty minor tweaks.

First thing I noticed was the loud lead guitar when it all kicks in. Vocal seemed to compete a little with all the instruments once the full verse comes in. The "yeah" screamed vocal is kind of loud. The synths and delayed guitars are adding a little cloudiness to the tracks. You might want to EQ the delay send. There's a lower mid, "washy", "cloudy", buildup when everything is going on. Solo guitar 3/4 of the way through is much too loud. Bass/drums sound really good, to me.

I always look forward to your tunes. Nice work.

I didn't really want to add too much 5k to the vox as the snares smack was somewhere around there. Yeah, But I do get what you are saying. I'll keep that in mind the next the next time I mix distorted guitars. I get a lot of mixed feelings about the bass, Some like it, some don't, I guess I should have just pulled it back a bit. Hey! Thank you so much for your insights man! They were really helpful!

What's artifacting? Thank you for the genre categorization. I'm really poor at it so I really appreciate it. Thank you for your kind words and insights man! They were super helpful and I'll keep them in mind the next time around! :)

And I'm always looking forward to your comments! :D Yeah, I always get that "muddiness" or "cloudiness" issue with my mixes. I don't really know if it's my referencing environment (which is pretty bad) or just something I'm doing wrong. I'll keep working on it! Thank you for your super helpful comments man (like always)! :D

What's artifacting?
That's the glitches and other stray sounds you get from pitch or tempo shifting. So whether you have your pitch correction happening automatically, or you do it manually, you may still have unintentional artifacts.

Aah, I get it. But is there really any way around it? (Other than nailing every take)

Less correction. Doesn't need to be 100% on the pitch. If you can get away with 50-60%, that's a big difference in the amount of work Melodyne, or whatever you're using, is doing to your vocal. Less work = more natural/cleaner sound.

Back