In the market for a new guitar. Advice?

drummerdoug86

Hey everyone, I hope to soon be buying a new guitar for myself, but am not really that big on the subject. I want some advice as to which type/brand would be suitable for my needs. I guess I should give you some info as well:

1. I play rock music (think weezer/foo fighters)
2. I use a Fender amp
3. The guitar will be both used for recording and live playing
4. My price is about a $500 limit.

Thanks.

dont completely overlook the noodles signature from ibanez. my favorite sounding guitar, i dont care what anyone says. mine has beautiful sustain and sound is similar to an sg, but a bit thicker and better in my opinon. also, really nice pickups. some might say it is an ugly guitar, but unless ur up there to win a beauty pageant u might want to consider a guitar that sounds good, like this one... ok im done.

drummerdoug86 said:
Hey everyone, I hope to soon be buying a new guitar for myself, but am not really that big on the subject. I want some advice as to which type/brand would be suitable for my needs. I guess I should give you some info as well:

1. I play rock music (think weezer/foo fighters)
2. I use a Fender amp
3. The guitar will be both used for recording and live playing
4. My price is about a $500 limit.

Thanks.

Dave Grohl would tell you to get one. The black and white one.

Do you have any other electric guitars? If not, I'd say go for something versatile (humbuckers with coil splitting maybe?).

Do you play out or just in the bedroom? The way a guitar hangs on the body vs. the way it sits in your lap might have a big effect on your buying decision. There's also the size and scale of the neck. It really depends on what you like.

But in general, there are a *ton* of great guitars at the $500 and under mark. Although, I'd suggest maybe spending $350 or so on a decent used guitar and get a couple of pedals or maybe a multieffects box. Go to harmony-central.com and check out the electric guitar section. Guitarplayer.com posts reviews (there are reviews on h-c as well). For buying used, the classifieds at h-c are great, as is gbase.com.

A couple of good brands in your price range that are often overlooked:
Godin
Hamer (import models)
squire (they are not crap)
yamaha
peavey
cort

Back