in-ear monitor question

SGPIANOMAN

I will (most likely) be joining a new band here shortly. I've already did a couple concerts with them. They use an in ear monitoring sytem. For us musicians (i'm the keyboardist) they have a hear back system, so i can have an individual instrument/vocals monitor mix. However, getting used to them is taking a while. Whats the best way to set them up? Set them with both in my ear, (i usually take one out so i can hear the room...it feels more natural) or just set it with the one ear i use?

I've never used them but I've read about people using an extra "ambiance" mic to pick up the room. I suppose with the right mixer, you can always put each other in the mix. But if someone comes up to request a song or someone in the band doesn't have a vocal mic, it is hard to hear them. A small lapel mic would help make them sound more "open." Is there an extra input on your belt pack?

I understand they lack low end energy and that in-your-face feel that a stage wedge gives you. You could always put a Shaker under your stool for more low end feel.

All the guys in our Praise Band use both ears in. We have a mixer (Aviom) for each player / singer so we can customize what we hear at all times. Example, if I lead out on a song, I will turn up the drum loop our drummer uses just before the song so I can stay in tempo and start the song without a countoff, and adjust the volume once he kicks in. I believe the in-ears allow you to hear the music better overall, without destroying your hearing. On the down side, I believe you may lose some "feel" for your music. In my opinion, your own mixer is a must because volume's change from song to song, otherwise just use one ear.

Back